Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people, first of all, I’m happy to be here and happier that I purchased an electric vehicle - a 2016 Nissan Leaf 30kwh. So far I love the car. The range is ok and everything. Here’s my question:

I have all the cables but for some reason I can’t charge at all at the AC charge point. The cable that came with the car seems to fit there but it’s slightly loose. The chademo works great though. I think the car has a 3.3kw charger on board. Does this mean it’s a type1ans I need a type 2 cable to be able to charge from AC?

Thanks in advance, sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Leaf 30 is 100% a type 1.
Only thing I have found that prevents a charge is the release button on the top that retracts the hook thing is not going to its full travel when plugged in so wont enable the charger to start. There is a microswitch mounted in the plug end.
On my first lead I had to file it the hook down a little.
With a 30 you should have both the lead and the granny. Do neither work?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
From memory this caused the 3 blue lights to do something strange, cant think what.
If you apply slight pressure (down I think) this may give enough room for the switch to make.
I did put a post up but it was four years ago.

·
Lettuce Leaf early to be sure of arriving on time.
900 Posts
Are you trying to charge from a home charger, a charger at a supermarket or car park, or from a 13A socket? The answer rather depends on what's on the other end of the cable! The first should probably have a cable attached to it with a type 1 plug on the end; the second needs a type 1 to type 2; the last needs an EVSE or 'granny' cable.

Meantime, this may help?

Nissan LEAF 30kWh (2015) Charging Guide | Pod Point

And looking at this may help you work out what you have and what you should have:

Nissan Leaf - Charging Plug And Cable Suitable For Nissan Leaf

FWIW, the type 1 socket on the front of my Leaf 30 has been a bit temperamental from new: it needs a push and a lift to make conclusive contact. There should be a loud clonk, a beep, and some blue lights just below the windscreen.

You may also have a timer set by the previous owner so the car only starts charging at night when leccy is cheap. To switch off a charging timer, plug in, then go back to the driver's seat and find a switch by your right knee with a pic of plug and a clock with the word 'OFF'.Press it. If there is more clonking, beeping, and blue lights, the timer has been turned off and charging should start.

See this:

13 reg Leaf will not charge

NB: To cancel a charge timer permanently you need to delve into the menus. Offhand, I think it's in the ECO button. Someone here will know.

·
Super Moderator
11,713 Posts
I have all the cables but for some reason I can’t charge at all at the AC charge point. The cable that came with the car seems to fit there but it’s slightly loose.
Check if the trigger latch on the car end of the cable is sticking. If the trigger sticks, the car will not charge.

If it is sticking, try spraying some WD-40 on the trigger mechanism.

If that isn't it, you need to do basic trouble shooting to isolate the fault.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I have all the cables but for some reason I can’t charge at all at the AC charge point. The cable that came with the car seems to fit there but it’s slightly loose.
If it is slightly loose, the pilot circuit is probably not making any connection, which is then preventing the charge. At which end is it slightly loose - the car or the chargepoint? In the Type 1 connector that goes into the car there is a rubber sealing ring which can get displaced and prevent the Type 1 connector seating itself properly - if this might be the case I will post some photos on getting it back into its correct position

1 - 7 of 7 Posts