Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an 18 plate Nissan Leaf 40 and this morning got up to find something odd happening.

Had plugged in for a timed overnight charge (which worked, I found out later). This morning, every 10 seconds all 3 blue indicator lights flashed once simultaneously and there were 2 beeps.

Don't know how long it had been doing this, possibly 2-3 hours.

There was also a clunking noise as if something was trying to switch on.

Can't find anything in the manual to explain this. Will call Nissan later but thought I check here if anybody knows what might be up?

Thanks for your help.
Ben

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,939 Posts
Closest thing to that in the manual suggests the charging flap open button is stuck either on the key or in the car.

Is it still doing it when the car has been unplugged and locked up?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Don't know about the 12v battery, will check how to check! Doesn't make the noise when unplugged.

We've had other odd things like this happen, such as repeatedly charging for a few seconds then switching off. Have spoken to Nissan (locally and nationally, and internationally - Norway replied last time!) in the past but they are hopeless.

Will look at the 12v battery now. Thanks.
Ben

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,939 Posts
If it's doing random weird stuff then a dodgy 12v battery is the most likely cause!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. My partner's actually gone out in the car, so I can't check it now (the manual is in the car, too). Is their an indicator somewhere that tells me the health of the 12v battery?

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,939 Posts
There isn't anything useful like that on the car :rolleyes: I have a cheapo plug in voltmeter that plugs into the cigarette lighter to check 12v voltage. Nissan garage should have a proper doodad to check the battery healthy more thoroughly.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Thanks. Don't know about the 12v battery, will check how to check! Doesn't make the noise when unplugged.

We've had other odd things like this happen, such as repeatedly charging for a few seconds then switching off. Have spoken to Nissan (locally and nationally, and internationally - Norway replied last time!) in the past but they are hopeless.

Will look at the 12v battery now. Thanks.
Ben
You need to test the voltage with the car switched off, expect 12.7V for a healthy one. It it's more like 14V then the car is charging the 12V. You can get cig lighter voltmeters which makes it easier.
A float charger is handy to top up the battery every month- but is usually only needed in winter, unless the battery is damaged.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. Bit of an update. This evening I plugged in to charge and every 20 seconds one blue light would flash twice with two beeps.

So I switched off smart charging in the Enel EV Juicenet app and switched on timer charging in the car. That seems to have stopped the problem so far. Will see if the car charges overnight.

Seems like there might be a problem with the app?
Ben

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Never a good idea having two competing systems fighting each other. If you are using the car's built in timer, then your charge point should be a dumb as possible. I don't see the point of a smart charger with the Leaf.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The smart charger, when working, has the benefit of being controllable from inside my house. Maybe the Nissan Connect EV app can do that, I haven't used it for a while?

It does seem that EV Juicenet isn't stable. It will be interesting to see if using only the timer on the car will be better in that it doesn't switch on/ off the charger at odd times.

Hope so.
Ben

1 - 11 of 11 Posts