Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone purchased or used a space saver wheel for their Leaf 40 ?. Where did you source one and did you also buy a jack ? Had a look on EBay and there are a few but they state they are compatible with the 2010-7 model. I have used tyre sealant in the past and they’re almost useless for most punctures.

·
Registered
858 Posts
No ! I feel the term "space saver" is extremely misleading : the toy wheel does indeed take up less room than a proper one but woe betide you if you take advantage of that space and then need to use it. Where are you going to put the one you've taken off ? Perhaps one of the passengers won't mind having it on his knee :devilish: And whilst you're running on the toy, don't forget you're limited to 50 miles at a max speed of 50mph (but neither are very reassuring!)

I have a full size steel wheel and a tyre to match the rest. It lays nicely on the boot floor with wheelbrace etc alongside then covered with a wooden shelf. Sourced from eBay for around half the price of the official spare kit.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I had a look at an earlier post about this issue, after you decided to carry a proper full size spare tyre. I have used tyre inflation gloop before when my Ampera had a puncture, basically did’nt work and had to have the car transported to my home tyre depot. There a few space saver wheels on EBay but these appear to be for Gen 1 Leaf. Did you buy a scissor jack, and if so was this specific for the Leaf 2 ?.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Did you buy a scissor jack, and if so was this specific for the Leaf 2 ?.
I bought a bog standard scissor jack from eBay. Pleased to report that since getting the spare I've never had a puncture so haven't tested it in the dark & pouring rain but I have tried it out in the garage and it worked quite well (though not quite as well as my trolley jack :) )

This eBay page
for a full size spare has a 'compatability table' that says their wheel would fit any Leaf from 2011 to 2019 (and I hope 2020 as well since I'm seriously considering upgrading !). Not absolutely sure that was the eBay vendor I bought mine from but good chance that it was. Interestingly, when I put the eBay search results in price order the only (alleged)'space-saver' that came out cheaper was a used one. Carrying on down that list, there seem to some toy wheels offered at £200+ (i.e. more than Nissan charge for the factory fitted kit which includes the wheel and its cradle). As an aside, retro-fitting the spare wheel cradle isn't an option unless you're prepared to take it to Lookers at Gateshead : the only Nissan dealership authorised to disconnect the battery which needs to be done before welding.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
As its a 40kwh your still covered under the recovery package so i personally wouldnt worry about it.
If the gloop fails then flatbed ahoy.

The only real place to put the wheel is under the rear and that means getting the cradle and taking part of the rear diffuser setup away.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I bought a RoadHero space saver wheel kit. It comes with a jack, wheel nut spanner and is contained in its own bag which sits neatly in the boot. I opted for the steel version as it was cheaper, but upon reflection the alloy version would have been lighter. The one you need is: Road Hero R027 Spare Wheel Kit for Nissan Leaf 2011 On 17"x4j 125/80/17.

I wasn't too concerned about having a full sized wheel. As long as I can get to a tyre shop under my own steam, I'm happy. I've put the type2 charge cable inside it and put the granny cable in the little box in the side. I gain the extra space where the cables used to be. I don't have the Tekna with the Boss unit, so don't know how it would fit on that model.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I opted for the steel version as it was cheaper, but upon reflection the alloy version would have been lighter.
Are you sure about that ? My full size steel wheel is actually slightly lighter than an oem alloy' See:-
The alloy is 2Kg heavier than the steel.
following which I weighed both to find that my alloy is 1.5Kg heavier than the (non-Nissan) steel one
I don't have the Tekna with the Boss unit, so don't know how it would fit on that model.
I measured one I found in a showroom and my full size spare was approx 1" too big for the space remaining. However, many toy wheels tend to be a slightly smaller diameter than the real one so that one might just fit; but if it does, alarm bells should be ringing - with one wheel out of 4 being an inch smaller, handling will probably be awful ! (hence the 50 mph limit)

·
Registered
858 Posts
The only real place to put the wheel is under the rear and that means getting the cradle and taking part of the rear diffuser setup away.
I was advised by a Nissan dealer that retro-fitting a spare wheel cradle can only be done by an EV workshop authorised to disconnect battery. Effectively that means going to Lookers at Gateshead !

As its a 40kwh your still covered under the recovery package so I personally wouldn't worry about it.
If the gloop fails then flatbed ahoy.
With a spare, you can change wheel and get going within 10mins. Waiting for a flatbed could take up to an hour and then you've still got to wait whilst the tyre dealer you're taken to finds and fits a new tyre. I guess it all depends if you think it's worth spending an extra couple of hours on your journey.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
10minutes! Maybe if it's in the boot, the ground is level, it's not blowing a gale, there no precipitation, you have good light and tools to make it that quick.

The fitment of the unit isn't that convoluted and from the one I saw, wouldn't need a battery taking off.
Just you lose part of the rear diffuser on the leafs that have them fitted.

·
Registered
858 Posts
10minutes! Maybe if it's in the boot, the ground is level, it's not blowing a gale, there no precipitation, you have good light and tools to make it that quick.
If a few of those points went against you, my 10 mins might stretch to half an hour - but suspect you'd still be back on the road before help could have arrived (and if being trucked away you'd still have the trip to a tyre depot, the wait till they could fit you into their schedule and retracing your route back to somewhere you could continue. All done at the speed of light ?

The fitment of the unit isn't that convoluted and from the one I saw, wouldn't need a battery taking off.
Just you lose part of the rear diffuser on the leafs that have them fitted.
I don't think I said "remove" the battery ! But possibly, electric welding is considered essential in which case induced currents might damage the battery ? If you find someone other than Lookers to fit a cradle, please let me know.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
The cradle can be bolted in. Doesn't need welding in from what I've seen and even so, could easily be a bolt in job.

Even with a space saver your then limited to only so many miles, still need to get the old one to a atyre place and faff around with that. Easier to just keep a spare tyre in the garage at home or such as a space saver is no use to anyone wanting to actually continue a journey that's over 30miles or at A road speeds.

·
Registered
858 Posts
The cradle can be bolted in. Doesn't need welding in from what I've seen and even so, could easily be a bolt in job.
I'm only repeating what a dealer told me when I asked if I could order a car without the spare kit (to avoid LCT !) and have it retro-fitted later.
Even with a space saver your then limited to only so many miles, still need to get the old one to a atyre place and faff around with that. Easier to just keep a spare tyre in the garage at home or such as a space saver is no use to anyone wanting to actually continue a journey that's over 30miles or at A road speeds.
Absolutely !!!

That's why I've chosen to have a full size spare rather than a toy one.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Personally the breakdown cover with the service saves more weight and i have no qualms waiting for them. rather that then lose the boot space :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Where can I purchase a cradle for ( Leaf 2-40) fitting to the underside please, I'll then be able to see on fitting options, bolt in place being the preference. Including purchasing a second hand alloy Accenta.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I Have tried two dealers who cannot find any cradle for a Nissan Leaf, have you any further info to assist please.

·
Registered
858 Posts
FWIW, I was told by my dealer that the spare wheel carrier can't be retro fitted (except possibly by Lookers in Gateshead) as it has to be (electro ?) welded for which battery has to be disconnected and 'ordinary' Nissan dealers aren't allowed to do that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts