Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
More expensive than some of the dearest components that would mechanically write off an older ICE.
I would sell my car and upgrade it rather than throw several thousand at it for a battery out of a wrecker personally but i do see that some people would be interested.

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
995 Posts
I have been trying to get my head around why anybody with manufacturers warranty of 8 years on their battery that guarantees 70% capacity would what to spend thousands of pounds on reclaiming some of the lost capacity and invalidating that warranty. Especially as the replacement battery’s are accident recovered and therefore of dubious or unknown quality.

The business model for recovered battery’s are possibly LEAF 24KWh, with out of warranty battery packs and classic car conversions.

I wish this business the best of luck and might find my self knocking on their door in 10 years time.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
18,647 Posts
I think there are some horror stories of Nissan charging customers £20k for a battery replacement out of warranty.

Someone might need these guys one day.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I think there are some horror stories of Nissan charging customers £20k for a battery replacement out of warranty.

Someone might need these guys one day.
They were scaremongering stories and soon quickly corrected by nissan. I believe even the 62kwh pack is about £12k, possibly less now, which isnt exactly expensive for the capacity is it?

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I have been trying to get my head around why anybody with manufacturers warranty of 8 years on their battery that guarantees 70% capacity would what to spend thousands of pounds on reclaiming some of the lost capacity and invalidating that warranty. Especially as the replacement battery’s are accident recovered and therefore of dubious or unknown quality.

The business model for recovered battery’s are possibly LEAF 24KWh, with out of warranty battery packs and classic car conversions.

I wish this business the best of luck and might find my self knocking on their door in 10 years time.
The warranty is for 8yrs/100k miles. If you pass the mileage, as a few have done then you have no recourse for warranty so are left with either swapping the pack out for a known good one or stripping it down to replace modules.
For most the swap over is easier as it can technically be done in a day or less.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
18,647 Posts
They were scaremongering stories and soon quickly corrected by nissan. I believe even the 62kwh pack is about £12k, possibly less now, which isnt exactly expensive for the capacity is it?
I don’t know. When did you last get a quote from Nissan for a replacement battery out of warranty?

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I didnt need to, i asked the parts guy at one of the dealerships i was working at :)

Also the price scaremongering came from Spain and NZ i believe and nissan corrected them in statements as they do batteries on exchange basis mostly for any that ask.
Also bear in mind, only 40&62kwh packs are now available as entire packs.

Warranty claims in the US are now getting the 40kwh packs and the 24/30kwh packs are taken back and split for resale into second life storage.

·
Super Moderator
7,717 Posts

My battery warranty expired in 2016!

Reactions: Kingpleb1

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
995 Posts
Sorry, I misunderstood the companies original post, I thought that the up grade was only for 30Kwh and 40Kwh vehicles, I now see that the offer is for up grades to 30Kwh or 40Kwh packs.

I do accept there are those with a LEAF 24Kwh that would like to upgrade to a 30/40Kwh pack and have the extra range that that brings without having to go to another country for the service.

Therefore nothing to do with warranty, just me barking up the wrong tree, sorry.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I think this is a hard one and see 2 markets.

First is repairs to defective cells for those who love their car and want an out of warranty way to keep it going. Cost effectively, clearly.

Second is upgrades. Not so sure of this one. Several thousand £ to add some range to what is still an old car (style, infotainment etc). The resulting chimera with some kind of adaptor to make the ‘foreign’ battery work with the car systems in a way the factory never planned for becomes dependent on the 3rd party upgrader for any future drive train issues too.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
927 Posts
Im just not sure about having to use third party adapters/translators, just feel that it adds a possible weak point in a very safety critical area.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
18,647 Posts
So it’s a ‘forever car’ dependant on the 3rd party being around for any issues.....limited resale potential that’s for sure.
Well, there are quite a few brands like that where the OEM is no longer around.

I wouldn't be too sure about Nissan either, judging by their latest financial report.

These guys might be on to something...

·
Registered
612 Posts
For that size pack, probably not. But at 8 years old, that writes the car off, as it's likely a 7-5 year old used version of the whole car would be cheaper.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
There must be a way of doing it without a translator as nissan have done the upgrade in the states for some warranty claims now installing a 40kwh where a 30kwh has failed...

I'm betting there is a specific firmware version that handle it on the BMS and it just needs to get copied by someone and job done.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
927 Posts
If switching a 30 pack for a 40, I believe the connectors are different, hence the need for the translator.

It would be interesting to know how Nissan do it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts