Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
The Nissan Leaf rides better on city streets than the Tesla Model 3:

As a owner of both, I am very disappointed! When you drive on some city streets in Los Angeles and San Francisco, it feels like a pick up truck.

·
1,534 Posts
The S rides much better with Air Suspension. The tight suspension is great to drive the car spiritedly like a go-kart or Roadster, but not very comfortable.

·
Premium Member
10,684 Posts
Bear in mind the USA Leaf isn't the same as the EU one. I wouldn't be surprised if EU Leaf has firmer suspension as market and roads are very different. Leaf wheel size will also make a difference.

Maybe someone here has driven both types of Leaf?

@Jetson Is that your video or did someone else do it?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,328 Posts
What are the tyre sizes and profiles?

This is often the bigger difference in these situations to the suspension itself.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I can very much believe what's in the video. I recently rented a Model S, and found the ride wasn't as comfortable as the 2016 Leaf that I drove. I've got a 2016 Prius whilst I look at getting an EV, and I miss how smooth and supple the ride was on the Leaf, compared to both the Model S or the Prius.

·
Premium Member
10,684 Posts
As a owner of both, I am very disappointed! When you drive on some city streets in Los Angeles and San Francisco, it feels like a pick up truck.
I am sure you could sell the Model 3 quite easily if you don't like the ride.

Do you have 18" or 19" wheels?

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have 18" wheels. I have even tried reducing the tire pressure to 42 from 45. How much do you want to pay? Let's make a deal!

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
@Jetson Sorry to hear you aren't getting on with your Model 3.

I have to say I was surprised when the first reviews coming out picked up on the harsh riding. The Model S is if anything a little too plush for my tastes. I was expecting the Model 3 to be more of the same.

Making a car both supple and sporty is really hard, and the Leaf has two huge advantages here:

1) It's never going to be compared to a premium sports sedan for cornering
2) It weighs a lot less.

My guess is Tesla will revise it in short order if it continues to be picked up in reviews, with Tesla changing the suspension for new cars. (This is how historically they have dealt with criticisms)

Fingers crossed they offer you a retrofit.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I can very much believe what's in the video. I recently rented a Model S, and found the ride wasn't as comfortable as the 2016 Leaf that I drove. I've got a 2016 Prius whilst I look at getting an EV, and I miss how smooth and supple the ride was on the Leaf, compared to both the Model S or the Prius.
Christ you must have got a dreadful MS. MS is "sporty" and so can be a bit jiggly on uneven roads, but even an ancient coil-sprung MS is far, far smoother over the obstacles that matter - speed bumps - than Leaf.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
@zap fizzle Speed bumps are more a European thing ;)

I will say a coil car on 21's is a bot harsh. I get the impression the Model S was designed primarily to suit coils on 19s or air on 21s. (At least to deliver what the ride and handling engineers were aiming for).

·
Banned
4,591 Posts
I think alot of people confuse a soft ride = good suspension.

The Leaf has really soft suspension, at <30mph its fine. But take a corner with any speed it walloys like a whale, and understeer kicks in really quickly. It also struggles to deal with adverse camber/pot holes/speed bumps. At speed any imperfections really throw the car off line - literally.

Am not surprised a Leaf had less road vibrations than a more sporty car, but been softly sprung is not a indicator of good suspension setup.

·
Registered
14,904 Posts

The Leaf has really soft suspension, at <30mph its fine. But take a corner with any speed it walloys like a whale, and understeer kicks in really quickly. It also struggles to deal with adverse camber/pot holes/speed bumps. At speed any imperfections really throw the car off line - literally.

Am not surprised a Leaf had less road vibrations than a more sporty car, but been softly sprung is not a indicator of good suspension setup.
So you’re saying my 2CV isn’t ‘better’ than a Model 3?

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
@gzoom an Elise has soft suspension, that doesn't go round corners like a whale ;)

One of the more valid complaints I've read about the orginal Roadster vs the Elise is that the additional weight necessitated stiffer coils to counteract it, and in doing so lost some ride smoothness.

It's an issue for all BEVs to an extent, the low CoG helps, but the extra weight still push toward stiffer spring and anit-roll bar rates.

·
Registered
49 Posts

I suspect given that many owners will be driving an EV like a Leaf because they spend most of their time in urban areas in traffic under <30, a soft suspension is fine. I don't recall the Leaf I drove for 4 days having problems with speed bumps.

·
Banned
4,591 Posts
I suspect given that many owners will be driving an EV like a Leaf because they spend most of their time in urban areas in traffic under <30, a soft suspension is fine. I don't recall the Leaf I drove for 4 days having problems with speed bumps.
The Leaf goes over a speed bump fine, its the crashy landing that reminds you to enjoy life at a more sedate pace :)

·
Registered
1,092 Posts

It's also excessively vulnerable to damage from potholes, and hilariously unable to provide both steering and acceleration at the same time. It will be quite comic if the same setup is retained on the 2018 LEAF.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts