Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, just joined and new to EV vehicles Just purchased a Leaf Tekna with Bose system and was wondering the Bose in the boot is that a speaker is it meant to make any sound as the sound system and quality is really poor. Turned bass and treble up but really surprised how bad sound is especially hardly any bass. Is it meant to be like that?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,594 Posts

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
Hi everyone, just joined and new to EV vehicles Just purchased a Leaf Tekna with Bose system and was wondering the Bose in the boot is that a speaker is it meant to make any sound as the sound system and quality is really poor. Turned bass and treble up but really surprised how bad sound is especially hardly any bass. Is it meant to be like that?
Yes, the default configuration of the stereo/sub in the Tekna sounds poor but it can be significantly improved.

The biggest problem is actually a level imbalance between the front door speakers and the subwoofer, causing there to be excessive upper bass and a lack of low end bass. (The front door speakers completely drown out the subwoofer) Interestingly the subwoofer is driven from the rear channels so you can use the front/rear fader as a kludge to address this imbalance between front door speakers and subwoofer. (The rear door speakers don't produce much if any bass so don't really factor in)

Here are my recommended settings on the sound configuration screen, try these as a starting point:

Bass +1
Treble +4
Front/Rear fader -2

See my post from last year:

The biggest improvement in bass quality and extension comes from adjusting the front/rear fader to -2, with this this bass is pretty flat from 100Hz down to about 30Hz. If you like more low end bass and less upper bass set the front/rear fader to -3, however this will supress the midrange a little too much for my liking.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did try just having rear speakers but hardly any quality sound come and as for bass, nothing. Just to confirm the Bose in the boot is meant to make sound (bass) so you should be able to hear it?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,594 Posts
I did try just having rear speakers but hardly any quality sound come and as for bass, nothing. Just to confirm the Bose in the boot is meant to make sound (bass) so you should be able to hear it?
Yes, the large box between the rear wheel arches with the word Bose on it is a speaker, and you can hear it if its working. There is an amp in the right hand rear suspension turret. Check that the bose unit is still connected - it is the smallest of the three connectors on the amp with 8 pins that also runs the rear speakers.

·
Registered
102 Posts
What do they say about BOSE?

Buy
Other
Sound
Equipment

I'll try these settings to see how it improves things - thanks DBMandrake

When I got my Leaf, I was mildly hopefully that the Tekna sound system would be half decent but its not very good

I have an upgraded sound system in my BMW X6, which was a £750 extra option on what was already a very expensive car - that was another collection of junk too. What a waste of money. £750 won't get you anything premium, but it should get you something that at least roughly resembles the original studio recording - but no - ripped off on that purchase for sure.

The best sound system I've experienced in a car lately is the Volvo V90 I had a couple of years back (it was the std system, not the £3k B&W system) and while it wasn't amazing, it was very competent and you could enjoy the listening experience

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
The Leaf system currently I've got sounds rubbish, no treble or bass. Sounds like listening to a cassette rather than DAB or CD quality sound
It sounds ok when playing stuff from my mobile.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Thanks Garry, that's what I thought. Really surprised how bad the sound quality is.
I've never found a car that has a Bose sound system that is any good

Reactions: dark1429

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
If you set the front/rear fader fully to the rear and you heard no bass the subwoofer is not working at all. (Make sure you play something with low bass as your test as the subwoofer only operates from about 30Hz to 60Hz)

The rear door speakers don't produce any bass so lack of any output from the subwoofer would cause no bass with the fader set fully back.

So it seems there is a fault with your subwoofer. Apart from checking it's connected properly (which would require unbolting it) I'm not sure there's a lot that you can do.

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
It sounds ok when playing stuff from my mobile.
Same here - sound quality from DAB radio is pretty rubbish (but DAB is partly to blame for that, as are the broadcasters who compress the shit out of the music...) but from my phone via the USB cable from something like Tidal it actually sounds half decent with the settings adjustments I recommended earlier, especially setting front/rear to -2.

Nowhere near as good as my home system but decent enough for casual listening in a car. It's a shame the default sound adjustments in the sound menu are so bad, it would have cost them zero extra Yen to calibrate the default settings a bit better especially the level match with the subwoofer!

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
Yes, the large box between the rear wheel arches with the word Bose on it is a speaker, and you can hear it if its working. There is an amp in the right hand rear suspension turret. Check that the bose unit is still connected - it is the smallest of the three connectors on the amp with 8 pins that also runs the rear speakers.
Are you sure the amp is in the right suspension turret and not in the same box ? I was under the impression it was a fully integrated woofer/amp, but I haven't had mine out to be fair.

·
Registered
649 Posts
First thing I did when I got my Tekna was to remove that "subwoofer" and park it on the least accessible shelf of my garage in a plastic bag with all the bolts.
It has a 4" diameter speaker. That says all you need to know.
Some basic theory: A speaker is merely a transducer. It changes electrical energy into physical movement of the speaker cone. Ergo, the larger the cone, the more air movement you get, simple physics. 4" won't cut it as the ladies have repeatedly told you in the past.........:ROFLMAO:

Once you have ripped it out, adjust the other speakers to your taste. Remember though, money spent on an in-car sound system is quite dramatically subject to the law of diminishing returns. Whatever any snake oil salesman tells you about how they have metered your individual car and tailored it to their system it's all a load of bollocks. As soon as you dump your shopping on the back seat or add a passenger or open a window all their beautiful calculations and graphs go literally flying out of the window and you are back to square one.
The other thing to consider is; are your ears capable of actually hearing the frequency range you aspire to hear? Since the advent of the Sony walkman and subsequent iterations of MP3 technologies, anyone born post 1990 will most likely have some hearing damage. Even in the wilds of Borneo or the depths of the Brazilian jungle where the few remaining peoples untouched by civilization still exist, anyone over the age of 12 has started on the downward spiral of gradual frequency taper - off.

Most millennials will have a hearing threshold of up to 15,000khz. if they are lucky. Anyone of my generation before H&S became law would have attended multiple concerts with a sound level greater than a jet engine from 20 yards. I can remember when playing in my band as an electric violin player and vocalist we always had the same stage set up and my right ear is significantly less effective as a result. I can remember attending a Def Leppard concert where the noise levels were beyond the pain threshold, big brawny bikie dudes were out in the toilets stuffing toilet paper in their ears and you could literally feel your chest cavity moving in time to the beat and that was a gig at my local town Hall (Bournemouth annexe).

There is a BBC app that you can download to check your own hearing and the frequencies you can detect, before you go shelling out your hard-earned on a sound system for your car-see if you can actually hear enough to gain any benefit.

nb: I spent my professional life setting up large PA systems in stadia and nightclubs as well as large-display video walls and projector systems.

·
Registered
102 Posts
First thing I did when I got my Tekna was to remove that "subwoofer" and park it on the least accessible shelf of my garage in a plastic bag with all the bolts.
It has a 4" diameter speaker. That says all you need to know.
Some basic theory: A speaker is merely a transducer. It changes electrical energy into physical movement of the speaker cone. Ergo, the larger the cone, the more air movement you get, simple physics. 4" won't cut it as the ladies have repeatedly told you in the past.........:ROFLMAO:

Once you have ripped it out, adjust the other speakers to your taste. Remember though, money spent on an in-car sound system is quite dramatically subject to the law of diminishing returns. Whatever any snake oil salesman tells you about how they have metered your individual car and tailored it to their system it's all a load of bollocks. As soon as you dump your shopping on the back seat or add a passenger or open a window all their beautiful calculations and graphs go literally flying out of the window and you are back to square one.
The other thing to consider is; are your ears capable of actually hearing the frequency range you aspire to hear? Since the advent of the Sony walkman and subsequent iterations of MP3 technologies, anyone born post 1990 will most likely have some hearing damage. Even in the wilds of Borneo or the depths of the Brazilian jungle where the few remaining peoples untouched by civilization still exist, anyone over the age of 12 has started on the downward spiral of gradual frequency taper - off.

Most millennials will have a hearing threshold of up to 15,000khz. if they are lucky. Anyone of my generation before H&S became law would have attended multiple concerts with a sound level greater than a jet engine from 20 yards. I can remember when playing in my band as an electric violin player and vocalist we always had the same stage set up and my right ear is significantly less effective as a result. I can remember attending a Def Leppard concert where the noise levels were beyond the pain threshold, big brawny bikie dudes were out in the toilets stuffing toilet paper in their ears and you could literally feel your chest cavity moving in time to the beat and that was a gig at my local town Hall (Bournemouth annexe).

There is a BBC app that you can download to check your own hearing and the frequencies you can detect, before you go shelling out your hard-earned on a sound system for your car-see if you can actually hear enough to gain any benefit.

nb: I spent my professional life setting up large PA systems in stadia and nightclubs as well as large-display video walls and projector systems.
Could you tell if the sub was passive?

With a 4 inch driver- quite likely I guess

Saying that, Bose like to feck about with weird stuff like wave guide blahdy blah...trying to get bass out of sound docks and that type of thing. I definitely think it reaches lower than a standard 4 inch driver, although how deep is anyone's guess - 50hz area perhaps

I got my son a soundbase below his TV which also has small drivers - a pair of 4 inch I think and the bass is fairly decent for what it is. Cabinet is a weird flat but wide shape, not too dissimilar to the leaf sub, so I think there is definitely a bit of benefit to keeping the sub

For in car audio in general, we're pretty much always doomed, unless you get a rare car where they've really put the effort in to get the sound system done well. Jaguar and Volvo (excellent B&W set up) being a couple of examples. Other than the odd few cars, we need to go aftermarket installers if we want a good audio experience

·
Registered
649 Posts
Could you tell if the sub was passive?

With a 4 inch driver- quite likely I guess

Saying that, Bose like to feck about with weird stuff like wave guide blahdy blah...trying to get bass out of sound docks and that type of thing. I definitely think it reaches lower than a standard 4 inch driver, although how deep is anyone's guess - 50hz area perhaps

I got my son a soundbase below his TV which also has small drivers - a pair of 4 inch I think and the bass is fairly decent for what it is. Cabinet is a weird flat but wide shape, not too dissimilar to the leaf sub, so I think there is definitely a bit of benefit to keeping the sub

For in car audio in general, we're pretty much always doomed, unless you get a rare car where they've really put the effort in to get the sound system done well. Jaguar and Volvo (excellent B&W set up) being a couple of examples. Other than the odd few cars, we need to go aftermarket installers if we want a good audio experience
@1soupdragon1 Thanks for your comment, but the laws of physics cannot be changed, no matter how many ports or foldback twists and turns they put into a tiny box. What it all boils down to is the ability to move a body of air. They knew this instinctively in the 1500's when they first started building pipe organs with massive 64' wooden pipes. If you get the chance visit Winchester or Salisbury cathedrals when they have a practice or a concert and you will see what I mean. You feel the lower frequencies, not just hear them.
I'd be surprised if the Bose sub in the Tekna will ever get to 50hz, I suspect it will be nearer to 150hz with maybe a few harmonics below that.
It does have it's own little amplifier in the box btw.
Tony.

Reactions: 1soupdragon1
1 - 20 of 30 Posts