Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I've been told and heard on hear and elsewhere that the "standard" DC rapid charge behaviour of the LEAF should be that if you start below 50% it wont rapid charge above 80% (or something along those lines).

Yesterday I once again charged the car from 30% to 83% (in car) on a single rapid charge. I have frequently charger from below 30% to 90% or over indicated (in car) at various DC CHAdeMO stations around the UK.

I have a Gen2 LEAF (UK built, gen 1.5, whatever) and most of those I've seen report the "cuts off at 80% if below 50% seem to have gen 1 Japanese LEAFs.

This is leaving the rapids (both Ecotricity and Chargemaster) at the default charge settings (not asking for 100%).

I think I've encountered one charger early in LEAF ownership (last year) that wouldn't let me bump the target charge above 80% at all, but it was just once and I can't recall where this even was.

Did Nissan change something in the "default" charge settings? Is it because I turned off the setting buried somewhere in the LEAF that limits the timed charges to 80% (or is it all chargers, memory has gone!) Why is my experience apparently different to the majority?

I've asked this (sort of) before but it was a while ago, with less of us UK-built LEAF owners on the road.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
When charging with AC the charger is on the car and so it controls times and charge levels etc. With DC it is different... the charger is not in the car it is in the charger unit itself and so starting and stopping the charge, the cut-off point, etc, is controlled from the the charger unit and not the car.

I do not know this absolutely but as it is the charger that controls those things and the charging control circuits are in the charger with DC so it makes sense :)

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is what I thought. Are the comms completely one-way though? Does the car "ping back" with certain data which the DC charger bases its "decisions" on?

I guess the only way to tell is have a "charge off" over a couple of hours with a few cars at one charger... IKEA for dinner anyone?!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hello paul,
have you checked if the car is in long life mode? there is a setting where you can set the car to only charge to 80% regardless of what charger you use to prolong battery life.
I think that's the setting I'm talking about, mine is "off", perhaps those who think there's this 80% limit have this on? I don't know? @Paul_Churchley ?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I think that's the setting I'm talking about, mine is "off", perhaps those who think there's this 80% limit have this on? I don't know? @Paul_Churchley ?
Was the 80%/long life mode "on" by default on Gen 1 cars and "off" by default on Gen 2?

I honestly don't recall if I've ever had a charger stop at 80%, regardless of what my charge level was on arrival - though I've definitley seen chargers which won't allow you to set the charge limit above 80% (I no longer bother with that setting, I just choose "Standard Charge")
I've definitely had chargers stop after a set time (Pease Pottage - 40 mins I think).

On my journey from Edinburgh to home I had assumed I'd only realistically be able to get 80% on each charge but I took significantly more than that on at least 2 occasions (St Boswells and Scotch Corner). But for the life of me, I can remember if I restarted the chargers to do that...

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
Interestingly, my C-Zero will not rapid charge beyond 80% in one go no matter what I do. The charger always stops when the car SOC reaches 80% (although the charger always thinks it is 82%). I can restart the charge and go all the way up to somewhere in the high nineties, but it won't cross 80% without stopping. I have tried on APT rapid chargers, Elektrobay, DBT-CEV and Siemens. No charger settings seem to change this behaviour (and I have tried all that are available!) and the car has no settings at all to control charging behaviour (not even a timer).

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
It makes no difference if I have 80% set or not for the timers because on the Mk1 the timer is only for the AC charging and there is no long-life mode on the Mk1.

Paul has raised this question many times and yet in 3 years of owning a Leaf and being involved with Leafs I have not seen any car not stop at about 80% if starting under 50% and going on to near full if starting over 50%.

I would definitely like to get to the bottom of this one.

@Paul I am more than happy to visit MK and have a "charge off"! I would need someone to put me up for the night though as it is a long way from Cornwall!

How about a Milton Keynes Speak EV gathering? A charge-off at IKEA followed by a meal (and a beer?) somewhere?

I'd gladly give a bit of a talk about what is happen with Plug in Britain and bounce around some ideas for what we might do once we officially launch.

How about a "Efficient Driving" competition for Leaf owners... using LeafSpy drive a set route and measure the power used?

Could be good fun :)

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aw come on, my tyres are eaten at 8.5k and my economy sticks around mid-to-high 3.something... I've not chance with a economy drive-off! ;) :D

We are planning an MK gathering, maybe it's an opportunity for us to try it locally, or at least plan it (looking at a ZCW pub for the location at present).

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Well, I'd be keen to attend. :)

I suspect you would be better than most in a Efficient Driving comp ;) Let's do it and we can all get a better idea of efficiency and how we can influence it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
When I charge on Dcs ... many are still charging when I stop the charge on the mid 80%s.

The reason I stop the charge is that the rate of charge can be as low as 12 amp and nearly always below 20 amp. I dont understand why but there is no point in hanging about at that rate.

·
Registered
585 Posts
It all seems a bit vague to me. Sometimes it stops at 80%, sometimes it doesn't.
What's also interesting is the chargers view of the SOC compared to the cars.

Charged are Glyn Hopkin earlier this week, car was showing just the two red battery bars (forgot to LeadSpy it), under 20% I'd say, but the charger said it was high 30's and didn't stop at 80%.

Testing and Coffee at Ikea? Or midnight testing and a Thermos at Ikea? :)

·
Registered
MG ZS Exclusive
269 Posts
I used quite a few rapids earlier this week. They had a wide range of settings. One of them, I think the Kinross ecotricity (although it might have been Stirling) stopped charging at 80% would not let me add +5%and also would not restart, Haggerston 30 min charge (which you can restart), Metro Centre 40 minutes (today took me from 17% to 90%), The Ikea's happily charged me to the high 90's. I kind of presume they are set locally to suit local usage. My Leaf appeared to suck up whatever was offered

Reactions: Paul

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
My LEAF seems to behave like @Paul 's. A June'14 6.6kW baby that likes rapid charging and doesn't want to stop. I've been under 30% a number of times on various M4 chargers and each time had to stop the session else it would top out in the nineties.

I've never had a charge stop at 80%.

The Outlander on the other hand stops religiously at 80% and declines to go further even when restarting the session. Same sites. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Don't forget everyone... the % on the charger is normally wrong. 80% on the car is nearly 90% on the charger. Use LeafSpy or LeafDD for a more accurate reading.

I have heard so many people say it doesn't stop at 80% when starting under 50% but they are using the charger reading... that normally over-reads by about 10% at the top end.

Today for example, at Exeter Ecotricity... started at 29% it stopped at 89% on the charger but 79% on LeafSpy. This is normally how it goes.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Gen 2 cars have the % meter. I have not seen this vary by more than 1-2%. At Glyn Hopkin st Albans I went from 21% car to 94% car reading. It's just not so.

The Outlander behaviour is very different - it won't ever take more than 80% as read on the charger, and won't restart to go higher.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nope, using the car reading. I actually noticed something is never done before, the car was reading 1% higher than the charger. Usually seem to match, but at one point the car said 83% charger said 82%.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Personally I think it's partially a car thing. Something gets signalled over the bus to say I'm done. Why else would the Outlander behave so differently to a LEAF?

Equally it's entirely possible early and late LEAF generations have different logic. We're all smart enough to see whats going on in front of us - I suspect the behaviour of the cars are genuinely different.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Equally it's entirely possible early and late LEAF generations have different logic. We're all smart enough to see whats going on in front of us - I suspect the behaviour of the cars are genuinely different.
I suspect that too although I have yet to see it and that is why I'd like to do a side-by-side test with a Mk1 and Mk2.

@PaulMorris yours is a Mk2 right? Can you and I meet next week and do that side-by-side charge and see what actually happens?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I suspect that too although I have yet to see it and that is why I'd like to do a side-by-side test with a Mk1 and Mk2.

@PaulMorris yours is a Mk2 right? Can you and I meet next week and do that side-by-side charge and see what actually happens?
Next week is busy unless it's an evening, but if we can align diaries - absolutely.

I'll need a week to run it down below 50% :p

1 - 20 of 51 Posts