Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
OK, so I've been told and heard on hear and elsewhere that the "standard" DC rapid charge behaviour of the LEAF should be that if you start below 50% it wont rapid charge above 80% (or something along those lines).

Yesterday I once again charged the car from 30% to 83% (in car) on a single rapid charge. I have frequently charger from below 30% to 90% or over indicated (in car) at various DC CHAdeMO stations around the UK.

I have a Gen2 LEAF (UK built, gen 1.5, whatever) and most of those I've seen report the "cuts off at 80% if below 50% seem to have gen 1 Japanese LEAFs.

This is leaving the rapids (both Ecotricity and Chargemaster) at the default charge settings (not asking for 100%).

I think I've encountered one charger early in LEAF ownership (last year) that wouldn't let me bump the target charge above 80% at all, but it was just once and I can't recall where this even was.

Did Nissan change something in the "default" charge settings? Is it because I turned off the setting buried somewhere in the LEAF that limits the timed charges to 80% (or is it all chargers, memory has gone!) Why is my experience apparently different to the majority?

I've asked this (sort of) before but it was a while ago, with less of us UK-built LEAF owners on the road.
The DC rapid charger is the authority on how much charge as well as current to put in the car. It uses factors like temperature and voltage it reads off the canbus from the battery pack.
You will notice that rapid charger will throw 106A into the car until the pack reaches 395v which is the max voltage (I usually see this around 60%) and it will start to back off the amps. Once you hit 80% the resistance of the battery increases loads which means it's even harder to get the current in. more resistance also means temperature increase and it's best to keep your pack under 40C although car will protect over 50C and reduce power.

So in summary best rapid charge will be obtained from a 20C battery that is low on charge (meaing lower start voltage).

The rapid chargers can be programmed not to allow manual setting over 80% or 30min but there appears to be no standard set out there currently

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
The DC rapid charger is the authority on how much charge as well as current to put in the car. It uses factors like temperature and voltage it reads off the canbus from the battery pack.
You will notice that rapid charger will throw 106A into the car until the pack reaches 395v which is the max voltage (I usually see this around 60%) and it will start to back off the amps. Once you hit 80% the resistance of the battery increases loads which means it's even harder to get the current in. more resistance also means temperature increase and it's best to keep your pack under 40C although car will protect over 50C and reduce power.

So in summary best rapid charge will be obtained from a 20C battery that is low on charge (meaing lower start voltage).

The rapid chargers can be programmed not to allow manual setting over 80% or 30min but there appears to be no standard set out there currently
Just wanted to chip in to say that te ecotricity rapids seem to top out at 105 amps, but the everflash Chademo unit near me can kick out 125amps.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I found at the Nissan dealership in Norwich the timer was set to 60 minutes. Getting there in January it took me an hour and a half to get to 98% and the charge rate was down to 3% at the end, presumably to protect the battery. Bit of a pain to come back after an hour, but needed every bit of charge to make Peterborough, through the rain and against a headwind, in time to get a charge before that dealer shut at 5. Got there with 3% :)

·
Registered
529 Posts
The DC rapid charger is the authority on how much charge as well as current to put in the car.
Yes, I get that it talks to the CAN bus, BUT I have one more oddity, how come the lights on the Leaf dash don't seem to tally up with the reading on the charger? I've hit 80%+ on the charger display, but the middle LED was still flashing on the dash (between 33% and 66%). What with that?

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Yes, I get that it talks to the CAN bus, BUT I have one more oddity, how come the lights on the Leaf dash don't seem to tally up with the reading on the charger? I've hit 80%+ on the charger display, but the middle LED was still flashing on the dash (between 33% and 66%). What with that?
That ties up with my assertion that the charger overreads. With my car the 2nd light goes solid at about 67% on LeafSpy (perfect!) but that is normally nearer 80% on the charger.

I never take any notice of the charger percentage.

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
I believe the charger shows the actual state of charge of the battery (which is why the outlander shows 30% to 80%) whereas the car is telling you the usable charge %. So if you turned up with the car saying 0% the charger would show 5%.

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
Although yeah, I never look at the charger screen because I have a LeafDD which shows me Ah instead which is much more useful, 1Ah = 1 mile at 70mph.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
I believe the charger shows the actual state of charge of the battery (which is why the outlander shows 30% to 80%) whereas the car is telling you the usable charge %. So if you turned up with the car saying 0% the charger would show 5%.
That is what I thought except that long before the car is anywhere near full the charger normally shows 98% for ages. In fact, the charger shows 98% when LeafSpy shows 85% and then the charger continues to show 98% while LeafSpy shows a continued increase in charge.

They can't both be right!

The LeafSpy is meant to be showing actual state of charge and everything points to it being the one that is accurate and the charger being out.

I can honestly say that I have no confidence at all in what the charger tells me. The LeafSpy reflects what the car is telling me and so I am inclined to believe LeafSpy over the charger.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
But they say the same in my LEAF. ;) Or even a percent higher in-car on that occasion, briefly.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Just been reading this thread and wondered about how rapid charging to only 80% affects the leafs ability to do long distances? If it stops at 80% this means you must, in effect, be limiting your range by 15-20 miles if you want to get away when rapid charging ends? Or the alternative which would see you waiting up to an hour to reach 99-100%?

I have a Zoe which rapid charges on AC and only starts to slow down above 98% So if we set a Zoe and a leaf off together to do, say a 200 mile trip, I would guess the Zoe would get there first?

The reason I ask is because I've recently 'noticed' the new e-nv 200 combo and am wondering about replacing my ICE estate car. I'd want to use it for long trips too. I do loads of these with Zoe, so stopping for 20 mins to charge every 80 miles is quite familiar to me and the family. But how different would it be with a leaf or e-nv200?

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
I guess that it would be slower than the Zoe. The Leaf (and I assume the e-NV200 as they use the same EV system) starts to slow down at about 52% and to get from 80% to full can take as long as from near zero to 80%

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
e-NV200 is more or less the same as the LEAF, it just has thermal management during rapid charging.

I've sat next to folk in ZOEs and it does feel like they charge about as fast as us LEAF owners can, due to it not really slowing until 9&-99% charged. So more range and less slow down in charging would surely make for easier long distance journeys.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I think similar Tim. As I understand it the max AC zoe charging is less than the Leaf? But from the sounds of it the design....the chameleon charger? .... means you can maintain a high charge rate for longer. Kind of the tortoise and the hare :)

What may make a difference with the van compared to the Leaf is there is some thermal management. So perhaps this will allow a higher rate of charge for longer?

With the Leaf the only time you would have to wait more than half an hour at a rapid would be if you were both close to empty and needing close to 100% to get home or to the next rapid. If 80& is enough, no problem - still 30 ish minutes

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
The Battery Thermal Management may mean it can maintain the higher charge rate for longer... if anyone gets one and can confirm this please post :)
I've never noticed a change in charge rate based on high temperature. I saw 105amps at <20%SOC with all but the red battery temperature bars lit. Hopefully what the system in the van will do is make sure you don't ever get into that red range!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
But they say the same in my LEAF. ;) Or even a percent higher in-car on that occasion, briefly.
Ok, now maybe we can be believed! An opportunity presented itself today and I had time to stick around for a charge to top out, so I grabbed this video from my mobile to illustrate the Gen 2 LEAF behaviour.
No camera trickery, just a Gen 2 LEAF (registered June 2014), an Ecotricity rapid charger and a mobile. 8 minutes of nail biting action. Enjoy... ;)

21 - 40 of 51 Posts