Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Through my local Nissan dealer in Sheffield I had a 5 day test in a leaf Tekna , 5 days I estimated to be enough to trial for 2 work days the weekend and returning on the monday.

This is a great car for town and commuting vehicle for a family of 4, irrespective of its being electric and I would have one , however my conclusion after 5 days is that many, like me will find it difficult to convert due to the range and charging infrastructure.

At the expense of initially sounding like one of the doubters and Ney Sayers of battery vehicle range, which is is limited for me, this can be overcome by thought and planning which I am prepared for,however what I and many others will have problems with is the infra structure.

Putting aside the fact that there are more charging stations on the Isle of Anglesey than sheffield the biggest problem is the use of them or the inability to use them due to non electric cars using them,an absolutely absurd arrangement and system .

Marks and spencers in sheffield ,Trumpeted as one of its eco stores, the charging point was occupied by a Range rover! Feeling like someone from the Grumpy old men,I went to the store manager, nothing they could do as the car park was managed by a contractor, the contractor had the response its a parking bay so anyone can use it,I then phoned POD the ev post company and expressed my thoughts of the system, there reply was we are aware of the problem, great I thought, and there suggestion was to put up better signs!!!! since when I have signs stopped anyone from illegally parking in and abusing disabled bays,NEVER.

I decided to take a quick survey (in my diesel car) of the other local services including the trowel services on the motorway and my conclusions,

1) The human race is a selfish and inconsiderate group of people who have only themselves to consider! Morrisons,Meadowhall, crystal peaks all have charging bays, full of non electric cars, as did one at the motorway services ,one was free though.

2) Designers, planners and installers need a reality check, why, why why put the widest parking bay which will allow the largest vehicle in (range rover ) to allow the most inconsiderate person to park??? at the front of the services,I can guarantee that if the space was furthest from the door it would not get abused.I am sure the installers will rant about costs of install the further away from the building,however better to have a higher cost of install and people use it than a smaller installation cost and it never get used .

As with all companies you will only survive if you can sell your products, therefore make the goods available.

Solutions - Charging bays need to be protected by bollards controlled by a rf tag on the car, alternatively number plate recognition on the charging post with a live screen to notify illegal users they will get a fine if they do not move.
Move the charging points to the furthest point from the door, most EV drivers I assume have the time for the walk as its on charge.
Legislation, no point in promoting a product as a solution ,installing an infrastructure but not allowing anyone to use due to idiotic planning and no control.

In years to come Ev charging companies will merge or go bust stating that they have ceased to trade as no one used the charging stations ,no one will have looked at why they were not used, if they did they would very quickly realise that the door to their shop was blocked and no one could gain entry.

I note from other users this in not uncommon,maybe EV drivers should blockade fuel filling stations to show how inconvenient it is not to be able to fill your car with fuel.

Sorry for the long rant however a great product, great Nissan Dealer, great experience, but it felt like I was in a fuel strike.

I have the greatest respect for those Ev drivers out there, Ev cars are not the answer to global problems but they are a partial solution which needs promoting

·
Super Moderator
5,892 Posts
Through my local Nissan dealer in Sheffield I had a 5 day test in a leaf Tekna , 5 days I estimated to be enough to trial for 2 work days the weekend and returning on the monday.

This is a great car for town and commuting vehicle for a family of 4, irrespective of its being electric and I would have one , however my conclusion after 5 days is that many, like me will find it difficult to convert due to the range and charging infrastructure.

At the expense of initially sounding like one of the doubters and Ney Sayers of battery vehicle range, which is is limited for me, this can be overcome by thought and planning which I am prepared for,however what I and many others will have problems with is the infra structure.

Putting aside the fact that there are more charging stations on the Isle of Anglesey than sheffield the biggest problem is the use of them or the inability to use them due to non electric cars using them,an absolutely absurd arrangement and system .

Marks and spencers in sheffield ,Trumpeted as one of its eco stores, the charging point was occupied by a Range rover! Feeling like someone from the Grumpy old men,I went to the store manager, nothing they could do as the car park was managed by a contractor, the contractor had the response its a parking bay so anyone can use it,I then phoned POD the ev post company and expressed my thoughts of the system, there reply was we are aware of the problem, great I thought, and there suggestion was to put up better signs!!!! since when I have signs stopped anyone from illegally parking in and abusing disabled bays,NEVER.

I decided to take a quick survey (in my diesel car) of the other local services including the trowel services on the motorway and my conclusions,

1) The human race is a selfish and inconsiderate group of people who have only themselves to consider! Morrisons,Meadowhall, crystal peaks all have charging bays, full of non electric cars, as did one at the motorway services ,one was free though.

2) Designers, planners and installers need a reality check, why, why why put the widest parking bay which will allow the largest vehicle in (range rover ) to allow the most inconsiderate person to park??? at the front of the services,I can guarantee that if the space was furthest from the door it would not get abused.I am sure the installers will rant about costs of install the further away from the building,however better to have a higher cost of install and people use it than a smaller installation cost and it never get used .

As with all companies you will only survive if you can sell your products, therefore make the goods available.

Solutions - Charging bays need to be protected by bollards controlled by a rf tag on the car, alternatively number plate recognition on the charging post with a live screen to notify illegal users they will get a fine if they do not move.
Move the charging points to the furthest point from the door, most EV drivers I assume have the time for the walk as its on charge.
Legislation, no point in promoting a product as a solution ,installing an infrastructure but not allowing anyone to use due to idiotic planning and no control.

In years to come Ev charging companies will merge or go bust stating that they have ceased to trade as no one used the charging stations ,no one will have looked at why they were not used, if they did they would very quickly realise that the door to their shop was blocked and no one could gain entry.

I note from other users this in not uncommon,maybe EV drivers should blockade fuel filling stations to show how inconvenient it is not to be able to fill your car with fuel.

Sorry for the long rant however a great product, great Nissan Dealer, great experience, but it felt like I was in a fuel strike.

I have the greatest respect for those Ev drivers out there, Ev cars are not the answer to global problems but they are a partial solution which needs promoting

Hi jre and welcome to SpeakEV…….

I know exactly how you feel which is exactly why we went down the PHEV route. Too chicken to ever get close to running out of juice, most of our charging is done at home and we still manage 80ish% all electric, the rest I just have to live with felling guilty about:(

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
@jre – welcome to Speak EV. And to the challenges of EV driving!

Your experience is not unique and there are many posts on here (and elsewhere) discussing ICE-ing of public charging points.

You're right about charge point location – it would be preferable to position them away from the main entrance – and you're right again that providers cite the need to put them close to the power supply, on costs grounds.

You have to accept the reality that many of the charging posts were installed by people who were sceptical that they would ever be used – corporate greenwashing – so that they can tout their eco credentials.

In general, the Electric Highway (motorway) parking places are fairly well respected by other motorists. The bigger concern here is that certain car types (with large batteries and low charging rates) can hog a rapid charger for several hours.

Anecdotal evidence, from EV owners who have challenged ICE drivers who have blocked chargers, suggests that many are unaware that EVs exist and that they depend on plugging in to 'refuel'. So perhaps more ignorant than selfish?

There is an ongoing debate about the type of chargers (charging rate) should be located where. There are two schools of thought – one that 'destinations' (i.e. shops, restaurants, cinemas, etc.) are preferable and the other camp favours rapid chargers on motorways and A roads to enable EVs to make longer journeys.

Almost everyone agrees that installing a home charger is the best way to achieve autonomy, in which case, there's little need to charge at your nearest M&S – and any demand is a result of the opportunistic (you could say selfish) desire to benefit from free electricity.

What you'll find if you hang around here is that a growing number of drivers are converting to EV driving and finding ways of making the technology fit our lives whilst saving on fuel costs.

·
Registered
MG ZS Exclusive
238 Posts
I am sorry you had a bad experience. I have no range anxiety whatsoever. Haven't used my Eco button for months. I drive 60 miles a day 5 days a week. When I go shopping I park in normal bays, if an EV bay is available I will use it ofc. I use the Metro Centre quite often. They strictly police their EV bays, never seen one ICEd

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Glad you liked the ev , they don't suit everyone but the vast majority of charging is done at home, most small cars never do more than 100 miles in one trip ever, 80 % of journeys are under 8 miles blah blah blah.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Great write up...but Meadowhall should never be ICEd because they are behind a gate that security have to let you by...and they check you have an EV

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
There are definitely different approaches at various service stations. Where the charge points are right next to the door they are often ICEd, but I've seen recently a trend to move them slightly away - still close but not so close as to make them overly desirable to non-EV drivers. Beaconsfield and Baldock spring to mind - I use Baldock often and have never seen any of the 4 bays ICEd as there are so many ordinary spaces much closer to the entrance. Likewise, the few times I've been at Beaconsfied, no ICE in any of the 4 bays,

South Mimms, on the other hand, always has at last one of the bays ICEd (though it's a little odd there as there are too many spaces because of the Tesla debacle). These spaces replaced Disabled spaces, which seems like an odd thing to do...

In-town and supermarket spaces are another matter - but I've never absolutely needed to use these as there's always been a rapid reasonably close by. Don't let the problems with these put you off EV ownership!

Reactions: Talon

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
I've seen recently a trend to move them slightly away - still close but not so close as to make them overly desirable to non-EV drivers.
I'm not convinced that makes much difference... the ecotricity rapid charger at Rownhams westbound (M27) is at the end of the car park and in a dark and rather undesirable area. I've visited on 6 occasions and the bay was twice ICE'd, twice not working, once occupied by a BMW REx (who didn't return after 30 mins so I drove on without charging), and once I charged successfully :(

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I'm not convinced that makes much difference... the ecotricity rapid charger at Rownhams westbound (M27) is at the end of the car park and in a dark and rather undesirable area. I've visited on 6 occasions and the bay was twice ICE'd, twice not working, once occupied by a BMW REx (who didn't return after 30 mins so I drove on without charging), and once I charged successfully :(
It takes a particularly determined person to ICE a spot that's in an undesirable location!

Reactions: Tim Ostler

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
The human race is a selfish and inconsiderate group of people who have only themselves to consider!
Very true. Leaving things up to people's honesty and discretion never works. Look at disabled parking bays. This is just the same. It needs legislation and/or active management if we want things to work. California is a good example... parking in a charging bay whilst not charging is illegal AFAIK!

Designers, planners and installers need a reality check
They do. It seems that EV charging facilities are not positioned or designed with the EV driver in mind. It is as if the designers have no idea what is important to EV drivers... which is probably true... but they are not interested in listening to us to learn what is required either.

Charging bays need to be protected by bollards controlled by a rf tag on the car
Spot on. Bollards can be moved but it certainly needs active management limiting access to EVs only. Threats of fines will not work unless fines are always handed out to infringers. It needs enforcable fines too... fines handed out on private property are notoriously difficult to enforce. It would be far better to have access control in some way... bollards are better than nothing.

n years to come Ev charging companies will merge or go bust stating that they have ceased to trade as no one used the charging stations ,no one will have looked at why they were not used, if they did they would very quickly realise that the door to their shop was blocked and no one could gain entry.
Good point and I expect that there will be a fallout of charging network operators once the government grants end. Most have no business model and are surviving on government handouts. Ecotricity is the one exception that propbably will survive as their business is the supply of electricity and gas... perfect!

maybe EV drivers should blockade fuel filling stations to show how inconvenient it is not to be able to fill your car with fuel.
This won't achieve that IMO. Any negative activity like that will only make enemies out of ICE drivers when we really need them on our side. It needs more public education regarding EVs... not radical action :)

Sorry for the long rant
I for one really appreciate it when people explain their views. We won't all agree but it gives us all a chance to consider different points of view.

·
Super Moderator
11,856 Posts
Putting aside the fact that there are more charging stations on the Isle of Anglesey
I've never been able to find the one at Plas Newydd. It isn't in the car park. Going to message National Trust.
Tywyn Cottage is only for guests at the cottage.
The one at Holyhead is a commando socket on the ferry.
Tre-Ysgawen Hotel? Restricted access. I'd ring them up first.

Restricted access all of them. Mostly useless.

·
Banned
3,116 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,856 Posts
These are all destination charging locations and used by increasing numbers of drivers according to the National Trust.
Good link.

We charge at both Penrhyn Castle and Bodnant. Those are both very useful sites. Both are on the mainland.

We are frequent visitors to Plas Newydd. I live about 2 miles away, so we are unlikely to ever charge there. I've never been able to find the charge point. I wonder if they've put it down at the house. If so, that is very restricted access. You'd have to make special arrangements for access. I'm going to ask them about it.

The charge point at the NT cottage at the north end of the Island is good for anyone letting the cottage. Like you said, it is a destination charge point.

Destination charge points at hotels are great too, but shouldn't be confused with 24hour public access charge points.

I didn't make my point well. While Anglesey may have more charge points then Sheffield, they are all restricted access charge points. The places where anyone can just drive up and charge are all on the mainland.
The one on the ferry can be confusing since it appears on Zap-Map as a charge point at Holyhead.

The 7kW post ASDA Bangor is back up. I was there a couple of days ago and another LEAF was plugged in and charging.

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
Destination charge points at hotels are great too, but shouldn't be confused with 24hour public access charge points.
Agreed and this is a critical difference between 'destination' and 'en route' charging.

ZCW are updating their website and maps to help travellers understand the difference... a lot more effort will go into that in 2015 now we have EV drivers traveling :)

·
Registered
964 Posts
OP said;
The human race is a selfish and inconsiderate group of people who have only themselves to consider!

Politicians like to send a message. This is the one they are most successful at sending! What an example to set:rolleyes:.

Explains everything wrong with public charging in Blighty IMHO!

It took me a year of digging to realise the public charging problem's origin!

You are straight on to the problems with their "mission statement" for deploying (largely) useless expensive infrastructure to...

"Encourage the uptake of EVs".

Notice there is no need to make any actually work!

So the reality of government incompetent policy, having 180 degree the desired (or was it?) effect has come home to roost as you so eloquently laid out.

It is only succeeding to now "Discourage the uptake of EVs".

Just line the pockets of private companies with tax payer cash, oh and make sure you invest in them first as you are underpaid with only a 9% increase this year poor polythings:mad:!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Many thanks for all your comments and replies, I was not expecting such a response,

To add balance I have just walked to marks and Spencer's in my lunch break and no one in the bay, in fact plenty of other spaces available as well, maybe One of life's lessons when you need something the most it's not available and when you don't it is!!

I have not been put off in purchasing one more my enthusiasm was severely dampened by the lack of spaces available.The thought of getting somewhere expecting ( maybe the wrong word)to be able charge up and not been able to would bring a new level of stress with kids in the car.

I agree with education , however everyone who learns to drive knows and is not to use a mobile phone whilst driving , does it stop them?

On a final point, some wonderful post and comments on this forum, very addictive

·
Registered
112 Posts
Being fairly local to Rownhams I've probably used it around a dozen times in the last month, fortunately I've never seen it ICED and only once had to wait on another Leaf user. Although at the moment the charging handle seems to be playing up and can take a few goes before the station initialises. Called it in to Ecotricity, they suggested they'd wait until other users report it before they come and fix it.

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
I've never seen it ICED and only once had to wait on another Leaf user.
Thats a great example of how variable this is and why I wouldn't rely on these chargers.

Today eastbound is still offline (was like that last time I looked a month or so ago) and your reporting a faulty handle on westbound (which Ecotricity seem reluctant to fix :confused:)... with no redundancy I think the risks are increasing as we get more EVs on the road...

image.jpg

1 - 20 of 25 Posts