Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Does anyone have any comment or thoughts positive or negative on the Nissan leaf flex ( battery lease )???
It would be interesting to hear from Renault owners too because they have to lease the batteries don't they ???
Cheers

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
For me it comes down to financials, if you plan to keep the car and/or cover high mileage and/or buy it outright it may not make much sense. However for short term ownership and/or lower mileage and/or certain lease deals it can save you money over the duration of ownership.

We have a flex LEAF, made sense for us.

·
Registered
585 Posts
As Paul says, it's all down to the money.
Build yourself a spreadsheet, put in details like the length of time you plan on having the car, the mileage you'll do, servicing cost, (if you plan on buying after the lease ends), the buying/leasing costs, etc.
The last two figures on the sheet will tell you which is the right option for you... :)
What other people choose may not be right for your situation...

·
Registered
80 Posts
My local dealer was determined not to sell me a Flex deal - his argument being that it could be difficult to get rid of the battery lease when selling the car. I could see the point that a private buyer might be wary of taking over a battery lease, but he also claimed that the dealership would not be obliged to take on the lease if they took the car as a trade-in. However improbable this sounds, it's worth thinking about what you want to do with the car later and making sure you know where you'll stand.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My local dealer was determined not to sell me a Flex deal - his argument being that it could be difficult to get rid of the battery lease when selling the car.
I had the same scare tactic from a local dealer. I'd guess their commission is less if they sell with flex than outright?

Or am I just too cynical?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have sold them and the commission is nothing to do with it ,
The only reason salesmen don't like flex is because they don't understand it and are afraid of it ...
Paul's summary above is txt book of how it works or doesn't work for a customer depending on mileage and end plan for the vehicle ie 10 year purchase or a 2 year lease ...
It will be interesting though In 3 years to see the retail price on autotrader of 3 year old 30kmile leafs with a mandatory flex attached ,

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks for the inside track - and for putting me straight!

We'll see what the market is like when my 18 month trial ends.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I looked at the Zoé, and the battery lease really put me off. In my case I'd pay €152 per month, plus another €9.50 for the battery insurance. That's more than I'd pay in diesel for my mileage and doesn't even include electricity yet. Oh, and using a quick charger cost another €2 per session. The car was then still around the same price as a low emission diesel (Renault Clio, or Citroen C4 Cactus), so it made no sense at all.

Getting the LEAF now for an all inclusive price, so I won't have to bother with resale value when there's a new and much improved crop of EV's at the end of my lease.

·
Super Moderator
11,697 Posts
We have a Tekna on the flex plan. The PCP payments on the shell + battery lease worked out to over £20 a month less then PCP on a battery included car. It was about £1000 over the three year contract.

Since we have no plans to keep the car, the actual value of the car at the end of the contract makes little difference to me. Flex was an easy decision. I doubt the car will be worth the residual, but I could be wrong.

Buying the shell for cash or on hire purchase is risky. The residuals are a big unknown. So are the battery hire rates. RCI could adjust them up or down for the second owner. So far they haven't but who knows what they will do 4 years from now.

We were the first Flex plan car sold at by our dealer. The finance person struggled to get the contracts through the system. After a couple of calls to the help desk, everything was fine.

·
Registered
218 Posts
We had a Fluence at work, and the battery lease made selling it practically impossible. No one was interested, even at a ridiculously low price (think 75% depreciation after 6 months).

·
Super Moderator
11,697 Posts
The value of all new cars falls off a cliff as soon as you drive it off the lot. The battery lease doesn't help.

Fluence was overpriced at MSRP and discounts were rare.

We got a decent discount on our LEAF. Helps, but we'd probably be looking at a big loss if we needed to sell it early.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
We got the zoe on 3 year lease purchase but also no intention of making final purchase payment. The total monthly outlay is way less than our previous mx5, so depreciation and battery lease cost is largely irrelevant. Saving up for the tesla in 2 years 7 months tine :)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
there is a reason dealers are very wary of battery lease. if we take on in as a part exchange we get 60 days grace on paying battery rental. after this we get charged at the minimum rate, therefore as previously stated the dealership is not obliged to take one in as a part exchange and with the possibility of paying battery lease themselves will tend to steer clear of it.
Wow, that sucks! I can easily see dealers refusing to PX a Flex car on that basis, meaning Flex owners could lose out badly.

·
Super Moderator
11,697 Posts
How do PCP returns work? Do dealers have to take some portion of returns or can they all get dumped on RCI?

(US BMW dealers are obligated to take most off-lease trade-ins to be resold as CPO. They have a limited number of mulligans.)

The 60-day rule could make for interesting auctions. Maybe a few surprises are instore for dealers unaware of the flex plan rules.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I looked at the Zoé, and the battery lease really put me off. In my case I'd pay €152 per month, plus another €9.50 for the battery insurance. That's more than I'd pay in diesel for my mileage and doesn't even include electricity yet. Oh, and using a quick charger cost another €2 per session. The car was then still around the same price as a low emission diesel (Renault Clio, or Citroen C4 Cactus), so it made no sense at all.

Getting the LEAF now for an all inclusive price, so I won't have to bother with resale value when there's a new and much improved crop of EV's at the end of my lease.
€2 for a rapid charge... that's awesome! Some company in the uk is trying to sell for €9 which is an absolute joke!

·
Registered
449 Posts
The flex option seemed too risky for me for little gain. I only expected to do 10,000 miles per year and I've already done 11000 in 9! So the penalties on lease would be massive or I would have restricted my mileage and not had so many lovely cheap journey's!
I did have the car on PCP but again I've over shot the miles and having through the business wanted to claim the whole car cost off corp tax in yr 1. Also saving about £3k in interest.
If it was a personal car I would have kept on PCP as my expectations of value at 3yrs is lower than the final payment so could have just handed it back.
Of course when I do come to sell it, there won't be any battery contract tied to it which I expect will help incourage sale.
If the battery continues to retain its capacity so well then there is more value in not having the battery lease.
Of course there is a lot to be said for the fact it is my everyday car and why would I ever sell it as it is well fit for my purposes!
At yr5 I will be much better off than having paid a batt lease for that amount of time!

·
Super Moderator
11,697 Posts
RCI allow adjusting the battery hire contract as needed. Don't need to pay the over miles if you don't want to.

Current prices are £70 for 7,500 miles, £77 for 9,000, £85 for 10,500 and £93 for 12,000

The penalty is £7.50 per 100 miles over.

Example -- You sign a 9,000 mile p.a. contract but end up driving 10,000 a year for 3 years.

At the end of the contract you are 3,000 miles over. The penalty would be £225.00

Total cost for the battery would be £2772 in rent plus £225 over mile charge -- £2997.

For this example, we would still be ahead. The excess milage charge on the shell is the same as the entire car. But the monthly payments were over £1000 less over 3 years.

Since the Flex plan cars are £5000 less, the break even point is somewhere around 5 years. £85 a year for five years is £5100. Flex cars have roadside assistance. That's probably worth about £200 for years four and five.

There is also the battery cover. I agree it is unlikely there will be a problem with the back in less then 5 years, but it could happen. Replacing a dead cell will be expensive out of warranty.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I believe in the USA they have run a car to 250,000 miles and lost 1 of the 12 cells (battery guarantee will replace battery if 3 fail)
Can you please clarify this? I'm to believe according to the small print that it's less than 9 bars so technically having 8 showing and lost 4? Also they do not replace the whole battery, they will restore the battery to at least 9 Bars?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts