Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having just retired I was looking for an EV to do some travelling around Europe. Since travel times are not of the essence I had thought that say a 40Kwh or 62Kwh would do me well. However, Nissan's solution to RapidGate seems to have just pushed the problem further down the line making travel times unpredictable. I now also hear that a similar problem exists with the 62Kwh Leaf. Has anyone had good experiences with European travelling in a Leaf, as I don't want to condemn the car outright before assessing all the evidence. All I want is predictable journey times not unpredictable times based on battery temperature, with situation potentially worsening during hot summers.

·
Registered
16,810 Posts
ZOE 40 or 50 with rapid charging?

The latter comes with CCS and both have the benefit of 22 kW AC charging, which means lots of opportunities for cheap or free charging.

To be honest I don’t think Rapidgate is that big a deal, if you’re doing less than 1,000 km a day. I mean if you’re travelling through France in the summer you’re far more likely to get held up by queues at the service areas, traffic jams and chargers that are blocked or broken.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I think based on Bjorn's videos you can't really win with the Leaf. In the summer it overheats and in winter it's range is greatly reduced and charge speeds on CHAdeMO are low for the size battery it has. Both his 1000km tests in one showed quite bad performance.

It's a real shame but it doesn't seem to be suited to touring.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply. I think I’ll probably abandon the idea of a Leaf. If it was a second car then I would have no hesitation, but I don't want 2 cars.

I think Nissan dropped the ball here, and I'm sure that unless they introduce active battery cooling to mitigate the RapidGate problem they will see significant drop in sales with the new competitor models appearing over the next year.

·
Registered
829 Posts
The lack of battery cooling is one of the reasons I moved to an Ioniq. We were considering a Leaf 30 but an Ioniq 28 offered so much more. We haven't been disappointed! The Ioniq 28 can charge at 70kW which is becoming more common here, and on the continent. This gives ~18 minute rapid charge times. Why Nissan haven't done the same is beyond me. In addition the Ioniq 28 is so much more efficient than the Leaf that it compares to the Leaf 40 in range, 120-160 miles depending on weather and driving style. Yesterday I drove 95 miles on motorway in strong winds, with 25 miles left at the end of the day. It's nice not to have to look for charging day-to-day.
BTW The Ioniq is 28kWh net, available energy- and it's still available at 3.5 years old. Leafs are labelled with gross capacity, not available.

More at my blog: www.simonselectriccar.com

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd dread to think what the charging profile would be in a south European country with ambient summer temperature of 30-35C.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'd dread to think what the charging profile would be in a south European country with ambient summer temperature of 30-35C.
Rapidgate is the reason I did not purchase one last year in Portugal. However I see lots on my daily commute to Lisbon, so they must be good for daily commute.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Rapidgate is the reason I did not purchase one last year in Portugal. However I see lots on my daily commute to Lisbon, so they must be good for daily commute.
It's interesting to experiment with A Better Route Planner. Lagos to Coimbra would require about an hour of charging over two stops, but it's probably not factoring rapidgate in so in practice it would be more like 2 hours. 6 hour journey becomes 7 hours.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Having just retired I was looking for an EV to do some travelling around Europe. Since travel times are not of the essence I had thought that say a 40Kwh or 62Kwh would do me well. However, Nissan's solution to RapidGate seems to have just pushed the problem further down the line making travel times unpredictable. I now also hear that a similar problem exists with the 62Kwh Leaf. Has anyone had good experiences with European travelling in a Leaf, as I don't want to condemn the car outright before assessing all the evidence. All I want is predictable journey times not unpredictable times based on battery temperature, with situation potentially worsening during hot summers.
I’m sure you would be fine with the Leaf. We are delighted with our 40, comfy, quiet, versatile and a smooth drive. We have done journeys over 300 miles and never a sign of Rapidgate. Truth is people love to knock Nissan. If you look at the other car manufacturers there are plenty of other problems that never affect the Leaf. I tried an MG At a similar price and disliked the bongs, the ride and the noise.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I’m sure you would be fine with the Leaf. We are delighted with our 40, comfy, quiet, versatile and a smooth drive. We have done journeys over 300 miles and never a sign of Rapidgate. Truth is people love to knock Nissan. If you look at the other car manufacturers there are plenty of other problems that never affect the Leaf. I tried an MG At a similar price and disliked the bongs, the ride and the noise.
Yes the new Leaf seems to be a perfect car, good size, good range etc. The lack of a full BMS and RapidGate stories did put me of buying it, it is a lot of money to spend if you have doubts. I am sure if I had have purchased it, it would be fine but was just too much of a risk for me to take. I have ordered an ID.3 instead which should arrive in the summer.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Charging seems to be the biggest worry people have about EVs, especially if they have never owned one. It's important to get it right.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes the new Leaf seems to be a perfect car, good size, good range etc. The lack of a full BMS and RapidGate stories did put me of buying it, it is a lot of money to spend if you have doubts. I am sure if I had have purchased it, it would be fine but was just too much of a risk for me to take. I have ordered an ID.3 instead which should arrive in the summer.
Good luck! I think CCS chargers are more common in Europe so probably better from that point of view too. Watching VW/Audi developments with interest as my other half would like to replace her A5 (now 9 years old) when my 3 year deal on the Leaf ends and we will probably drop to just the one car. The leaf was very much a car for the moment, in November when I bought it was the best electric car immediately available and the deals were too good to miss.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Good luck! I think CCS chargers are more common in Europe so probably better from that point of view too. Watching VW/Audi developments with interest as my other half would like to replace her A5 (now 9 years old) when my 3 year deal on the Leaf ends and we will probably drop to just the one car. The leaf was very much a car for the moment, in November when I bought it was the best electric car immediately available and the deals were too good to miss.
So true, the only available affordable electric cars probably boil down to the Leaf, Zoe and M3. Hopefully things will improve this year. I wanted to get an EV last year, but have decided to wait instead for the ID.3 this summer. It ticks all the boxes for me, hopefully I will not be disappointed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts