Whats the difference between the 1.5 and gen 2 -- or is there a difference

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Not sure I'm going to answer it right.
Gen 1 Leaf 24kWh
Gen 1.1 Leaf 24kWh (new chemistry)
Gen 1.5 Leaf 30 kWh
Gen 2.0 Leaf 40kWh (new chemistry, new design)
Gen 3.0 Leaf 62kWh (new pack layout, module without case, design tweaks)

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure I'm going to answer it right.
Gen 1 Leaf 24kWh
Gen 1.1 Leaf 24kWh (new chemistry)
Gen 1.5 Leaf 30 kWh
Gen 2.0 Leaf 40kWh (new chemistry, new design)
Gen 3.0 Leaf 62kWh (new pack layout, module without case, design tweaks)

- Leaf 30 kWh
Hi Hermit

I was thinking of the 24kWh
gen1, gen1.5, gen 2

==============

From https://samholford.github.io/leafguide/ regarding 24kWh

terminology of Generation 1 and 2 is not official per Nissan. The next generation Leaf officially announced in September 2017 may begin to be referred to as Generation 2, in which case we will need to use Generation 1.5 terminology for late 2012 to 2016 Leafs.

==============

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Leaf30 had some battery and controller differences so you need to have 2 step from 1.0

You can have
1.33 / 1.67

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
61 Posts
Not wanting to start my own thread for this so thought I'd tag in the bottom of this, hope you don't mind. I've had a 24kw leaf (2015) Tekna and now have a 2nd hand 30kw ascenta. It seems to be more efficient than my 24kw one? Not sure if it's wheel size or technology in the battery? I'm easily getting about 4.4kw without thinking and can get 5kw around town without too much effort. Can anyone shed any light?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Leaf30 battery pack add 6kWh at the cost of additional 21kg. The cells has some changes at the cathode and anode as well.

I don't think wheel size increases efficiency. It could be overall changes in how you drive plus tweaks to D/B and Eco mode

·
Registered
162 Posts
Different motor in gen 1 to the gen1.5 and up and geared differently. Which makes the gen1.5 and up more eco at uk motorway speeds. Also no ptc heater zapping valuable miles on a 24kwh

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have a 2012 24Kw Leaf - how is it possible to tell whether it's the true Gen1 or a later version ? Is there a database of VIN numbers and specifications ?
Didn’t the handbrake design change when production moved to the UK for Gen 1.1? That was always how I used to work it out, but may be wrong.

I was always under the impression that the electronic switch behind the shifter meant it was the original Japanese one, and the foot operated pedal was the later UK variant.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I was always under the impression that the electronic switch behind the shifter meant it was the original Japanese one, and the foot operated pedal was the later UK variant.
That is my understanding. For my 13Reg Sunderland built Leaf (with foot operated parking brake) the VIN starts SJNFAAZE0U6......

·
Registered
65 Posts
That is what i understand too. 2013 onward, foot operated parking brake instead of plastic finger operated handle.

I also understand that the standard default interior reverted to black/dark instead of beige (beige became optional)..........my 63 plate is beige!....which wouldn't be my choice as it's gonna be a nightmare to keep clean!

·
Registered
162 Posts
harder but not impossible to keep clean. I bought some stuff from b&m after my mechanic made the interior door handle really grubby with his dirty mits. Came up surprisingly good almost stock.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Be aware that there is no formal 'generation' of Leafs, other than the model reference, and the trim levels, so different people call things by different names.

From my experience, for UK Market.

Nissan Leaf ZE0
Japanese-built: 2011-2013
24kWh battery pack
resistive heater
(problematic) electronic parking brake
single trim level, only option being a tiny solar panel on spoiler to keep 12V accessory battery topped up.
Type 1 AC charge port, 3.3kW
CHAdeMO charge port, 50kW

Sunderland-built: 2013-2015
revised battery chemisty, still 24kWh.
Move on-board charger from hump to under bonnet, freeing up space in boot
Charge port lighting.
Dashboard now displays battery state-of-charge as a percentage, rather than just bars and guessometer.
Different trim levels (Versa, Acenta, Tekna)
Heat-pump heater on all but Versa trim levels (increased advertised range)
Replace electronic parking brake with foot-pedal ratchet parking brake.
Type 1 AC charge port, 3.3kW, option of 6.6kW on-board AC charger.

Sunderland built 2015
Mild refresh
30kWh battery pack as an option, eventually becoming default option.
Carwings rebranded as Nissan Connect EV
Removal of 80% charge limit option.
Removal of 'Google Maps' point of interest search from Satnav.
Removal of user data SD card from satnav.
Heat-pump heater on all but Versa trim levels
foot-pedal ratchet parking brake.
Type 1 AC charge port, 3.3kW, option of 6.6kW on-board AC charger.

Nissan Leaf ZE1
2017-
Sunderland-built
Major facelift
40kWh battery as standard
Analog speedometer on dash
DAB radio, considerably different user interface on touch screen.
Dashboard can now display rate of charge.
Options for park assist and adaptive cruise control, lane assist (Pro Pilot)
Electronic Parking Brake is back, to support the park assist option.
Type 2 AC charge port, single-phase. 6.6kW on-board AC charger.

Nissan Leaf ZE1 E Plus
2019-
Japan-built
60kWh battery as standard, different battery chemistry, different battery pack supplier.
Type 2 AC charge port, single-phase. 6.6kW on-board AC charger.
CHAdeMO charge port, 100kW

·
Registered
683 Posts
Original 24kWh
2011-2013
Japan built. Pale coloured interior. Electric parking brake. Resistive heater. Inverter "hump" in boot between wheel arches.

24kWh "Gen 2"
Confusingly referred to for a long time as "Gen 2", updated 24kWh Leaf
2013-2018
Sunderland built. Dark coloured interior. Foot-operated parking brake. New "Lizard" battery chemistry. Flat boot floor. Adjustments to suspension settings. Introduced spec levels - Visia, Acenta, Tekna.
Heat pump in Acenta and Tekna Models.Visia models may or may not have rapid charging.

30kWh
2015-2018
Larger battery, some other updates over 24kWh (removed 80% charge option, added "find my vehicle" function, probably some others).

40kWh "2.Zero"
2018 onwards

Referred to by nissan as second generation, complete with "2.Zero" trim level for early launch models.
Not a new car - a heavy facelift of the existing Leaf (look at the windows, front doors are identical, rear door has a new lower skin. New bonnet, fenders, lights and bumper, slight rear extension and new lights/panels at rear. Roof/bodyshell/doors are the same, as is suspension design (but again changes to springs/damping rates). Added new driving features eg Propilot, e-pedal, etc. Updated interior panels, dash and seats, infotainment and instruments, same old A-pillar trims etc).
AC connector changed to Type 2, battery increased to 40kWh, Motor power increased.

62 kWh e+ "3.Zero"
2019 onwards

Launch editions called "3.zero" - car has minor changes over 40kWh. Updated infotainment, larger battery, further motor power increase, further suspension updates (raised ride height to accomodate larger battery). Some updates (eg infotainment) fed back to 40kWh model.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts