Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a few of those sat nav moments lately, where I've taken wrong turns due to the maps in my 2011 Leaf getting out of date.
Has anyone updated their maps, either officially (though the page on Nissan's website appears to be broken so I'm not sure you actually can) or by borrowing the SD from another Leaf (or possibly a completely different Nissan)?

·
Registered
449 Posts
It's a navtek system, the sd cards are paired to serial number of your car nav system so can't copy or use someone else's (I've tried) also nissan want around £169 for an update! Stick with Google on your phone in my opinion! Absolute rip off

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a navtek system, the sd cards are paired to serial number of your car nav system so can't copy or use someone else's (I've tried)
That's interesting, I've been doing some more reading and it's been mentioned that the dealer will need your head units serial number when you order. However, I now see various people selling SD cards on eBay? Odd as they presumeably won't work?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've also just had a look at Navtek's website, now rebranded "Here".
Ironically, you pick Nissan, and they have a dirty great picture of a Leaf in the middle of the page, but it's not listed on the drop down menu...
I picked a few other cars, and then seem quite happy to sell me a new card for $189. However looking at the small print the 2013/2014 maps seem to have been created on Q3/2012. So not exactly up to date then...

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, more weirdness...
There's this guy on ebay, he sells loads of sat nav disks and cards...
This stuck out -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-20...TION-CARD-FREE-POST-25920-BH00E-/221484877999
Not for a Leaf granted, but the buyer rated it, so it must have worked?

@MK Tom what exactly did you try? Just swapping in another genuine SD card? Or copying the SD card? Or copying your own SD card?

There may also be another issue here, in that there seem to be two versions of Nissan Connect...

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah, yes. He said they work fine. And he has plenty of positive feedback on the cards so he must be doing something right.
Then it occured to me that I have a mate with a petty new Nissan Quasqaui. I'm going to borrow the card out of it, but he's off on holiday at the moment...

·
Registered
449 Posts
I tried taking the card from a 2013 leaf and putting it into a 2011 leaf but it came up with an error and i have read that when you order the maps you need to revise serial number so they can issue you an activation code

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, that's what I understood... but according to the eBay seller it works just fine...
Odd how that conflicts with your 2013->2011 card experiment.
I wonder if the Leaf has different hardware/software for the mapping?

I experimented with making a duplicate of my own SD card onto a blank, the laptop point blank refused to believe there was a card in the reader, which is very odd...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yes, that's what I understood... but according to the eBay seller it works just fine...
Odd how that conflicts with your 2013->2011 card experiment.
I wonder if the Leaf has different hardware/software for the mapping?

I experimented with making a duplicate of my own SD card onto a blank, the laptop point blank refused to believe there was a card in the reader, which is very odd...

Old Thread I know, but that could just be that the filesystem used isn't a standard one, or atleast one supported by your operating system.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
Linux and dd is your friend if you want a identical clone, doesn't matter what the underlying table map is it will just clone. For best results make sure you are cloning to same sized SD.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I run Linux on all my systems so that was the sort of approach I was thinking for making a clone that is safe for me to play with.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I too run various flavours of Linux, but the laptop still didn't recognise/mount the card. Do have a go though!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts