Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
631330BE-AE42-4FE4-B318-0B5D809E6584.jpeg
I have recently used 3 separate polar rapid chargers that all say my car is not compatible with them. It usually does the pre-charge checks, then gets to the communication part, then after about 20 seconds, it’ll come up with a big red ‘X’ on the screen, saying vehicle not compatible with charger.
The 3 that will not work are all newly installed, all branded as BP ChargeMaster with the large BP logo on the front, as shown in the attached image.
I have used Chargemaster ultra chargers before, with no problems, but the ones that work are just Chargemaster Ultracharge, which have been installed for around 6 months or longer, not branded as BP. This may be completely unrelated, but it’s what the chargers have in common.
Has anyone else had this problem with the new chargers? Or is it just me? Is there something stopping the car and charger communicating?
I have a 2015 Nissan Leaf by the way.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
That's unfortunate, because 20p/kWh is a brilliant rate for a contactless pump, especially Polar.

Sorry I can't help as to why it doesn't work for your car. It would be helpful of you to tell us the location so people can check on ZapMap/Plugshare whether there have been other reports of failure. Have you checked yourself?

(Welcome to the forum, by the way. :))

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,654 Posts
I've used a few different brand new Polar chargers with my 2016 Leaf 30kWh, branded BP Chargemaster, and all has been fine.

In fact I can't actually remember the last time a Polar Ultracharger didn't work.

Are you definitely making sure that the CHAdeMo connector is properly seated, and have you tried charging on other chargers? My first thought would be that perhaps your car isn't communicating properly.

Actually have you phoned Polar to make sure there isn't a known problem with the chargers you're trying to use? It would be useful to know which ones you are trying to use, someone else with a similar car is almost certainly not far away.

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
Have you phoned or tweeted Polar to ask? They are usually a helpful bunch. They will need to know unit number off one.

Are these chargers in London? It is possible they have been set up for "Taxi only" and the signs don't say that, or set incorrectly.

·
2,654 Posts
Are these chargers in London? It is possible they have been set up for "Taxi only" and the signs don't say that, or set incorrectly.
That's a very good point, too!

·
2,654 Posts
How would the charger know if it's a taxi? If it did know, surely it would display a meaningful message.
It would know from the membership card presented; it may just be a software bug if this is the case, but it's less likely than there being a fault in the car somewhere.

·
2,654 Posts
Waiting for the OP to come back...
I'll give them a few more days before I assume that they just signed up to try and make Polar look bad, as so many on here seem to want to do...

·
2,654 Posts
I don't think Polar needs our help in looking bad.
Yes, you do seem to have convinced yourself into a really impressive level of confirmation bias on the subject.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Yes, you do seem to have convinced yourself into a really impressive level of cognitive bias on the subject.
Undoubtedly Donald for a bit but after a recent experience and lack of any reply from them I'm being to start thinking the same.

·
2,654 Posts
Undoubtedly Donald for a bit but after a recent experience and lack of any reply from them I'm being to start thinking the same.
You did have a bad experience, I agree. But I do think that it's most likely an isolated case, although that doesn't mean they shouldn't sort it.

I'll happily be proven wrong if enough evidence is presented.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
25,095 Posts
Yes, you do seem to have convinced yourself into a really impressive level of confirmation bias on the subject.
If you take a closer look, up until my recent experiences I was expounding the virtues of Polar, and I hope they pull their Sh!t back together so I can continue to give them the benefit of my patronage.

But right now there is clearly an abject failure of delivering useful and accurate information to users. The BS they have spun back to me deserves a good slap or two. In the most recent incident I had a reply within 40 minutes (i.e., they didn't bother even investigating it) stating that chargers go in and out of communication and they don't register it as 'unavailable' due to momentary interruptions. What they didn't realise is the operator had already told me at the time that the charger had been out of communication for several hours.

This is not only very bad service, but I believe it crosses the line of criminally failing to advertise a service that was not available (see 'unfair trading' regulations). It also fails on the recent charger legislation because it is compulsory for these companies to make live information available, which Polar is failing to do.

I can go further into the details if you like, but all I want is to have a reliable service. Yeah, OK, chargers don't always work (maybe!) but that is zero justification for showing a charger is available when it has been powered off for a day, and it also does not justify being unable and uninterested in advertising the restrictions at a site and being powerless to prevent site owners from simply shutting the thing off!!

It is a wild west out there and if there's no sheriff doing the job then the townsfolk will have to just get on with enforcing some law and order.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts