Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the title, does anyone have experience with either or ideally both of these systems?
So far the main difference I've found is how they handle the driver not touching the wheel.
Also the Nissan system deactivates below 50 kph unless tracking a car in front, so this means it can work is stop-go traffic. Does the Hyundai suite offer the same functionality?
Apart from this, are there any other major differences? How good they are in different weather, how well they keep lanes on different roads, what speeds they operate at etc?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have only used Hyundai LFA on my Kona. I only ever use it on dual carriageways and motorways, and temporarily switch it off when reaching slip roads, both entry and exit as vehicles merging in front of you can cause a sharp slowdown in speed to an extent that lorries/cars behind think you are brake checking them.
I think I must be a bit old school as I actually like driving too, its a fun experience so rarely switch it on unless on an incredibly boring road. The car complains at me if it can't detect me holding the wheel with at least one hand, which I feel is quite rightly so. I have no experience of the Nissan leaf system.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
No idea about the Leaf.
Use my Kona SCC/LFA a lot, even on local 30 roads. It works down to stationary in traffic, though I don't know what the minimum speed setting is.
The steering warning seems to be torque operated - I always hold the wheel but it still sometimes alarms and I have just nudge it make it happy. I suspect it makes the occasional very slight 'correction' just to see if you resist it.
The LFA is pretty good, but struggles with some lesser roads of course (unclear markings, winding route) but I doubt it was ever meant for that. Lane capture is odd - sometimes it captures both sides when I'm thinking it's actually hard to tell one or both; other times the markings look loud and clear but it can't capture them. ? That again is on minor roads though - it's generally fine on main routes.
One gotcha is that it's trying to centre the car, so if the lane markings, or whatever it thinks are the edges, diverge/converge it can take an interesting route. There are a few places locally where I know it does this so I'm ready to resist.
Is safe to just let it get on with driving for you? Absolutely NO. Is it a nice aid that takes some of the work out of tedious journeys and may pick up a danger I didn't see? Yes.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,108 Posts
I have a Leaf with ProPilot. I don't use it. It can't drive in a straight line without zig zagging so at speeds of 50mph or above it's hopeless. I've only tried it on a bit of dual carriageway and motorway a couple of times. It's probably ok below 50mph. Just about. It does take terrible lines through curves. Again it's a straight line zig zag path not like a human would take. The post May 2019 Leafs with the new TomTom headunit and the 60kWh model have improved Pro pilot apparently. I haven't tried one but I'd hope it is better.

ACC is ok though.

I haven't driven anything else with the active steering type cruise so I have no idea whether they are all this bad or it's just ProPilot or just my Leaf. It feels like the car is looking about one car length ahead in deciding how to negotiate the road. It needs to be looking further to make a smoother line.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I have the Leaf ProPilot and LOVE IT!!!
extremely efficient, even if sometimes you have to take control when approaching junctions or roundabouts.
On motorways is fabulous, the annoying bit is if you loosen up on the grip to the steering wheel the system will start shouting at you to get your hands back :)
Leaf ProPilot will even take you through countryside roads. several times on way to work/home the system will recognise approaching curves and will reduce the speed so you don't have to turn it off. But for this you need balls of steel :cool:
Once you press the accelerator you will override the system and you can increase the speed or even slow down.
I use it a lot and don't imagine getting another car without it or a similar system.

Do I recommend it? Definitely

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's interesting and what I hoped to hear about the Hyundai system!
As for the leaf though, husoi, do you have a newer leaf? Or is it possible that srichards leaf simply needs calibrating? The difference in your experiences of the system is stark!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
That's interesting and what I hoped to hear about the Hyundai system!
As for the leaf though, husoi, do you have a newer leaf? Or is it possible that srichards leaf simply needs calibrating? The difference in your experiences of the system is stark!
I have a 62kw limited edition.

It will take some time to get used to it and on driving without any other car ahead of you on countryside roads isn't the ideal environment for the ProPilot.
The system was ultimately designed for motorway and where you're following other cars. So other situations aren't the "comfort zone" for it.
You can compensate this by temporarily cancel it and reactivating it when it's safe again.
Re the comment bi @srichards ProPilot have the keep in lane which is very effective, as long it can read the edge and middle road marking and it will keep you on the middle of the lane at all times.
Keep in mind though, that ProPilot will have a safe approach to other cars so, as example, you're on a motorwayand the guy in front of you moves out of the way but stays close to the lane marking the car will keep it's distance until the space is clear or you override it.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,108 Posts
You should talk to the dealer it might need recalibrating.
I probably should but I don't really use cruise control enough to bother. ACC is ok but leaves smaller gaps than I'd choose even when it's on the longest distance. I might mention it for the next service later this year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts