Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

We are a company in Nottingham looking at setting up an aftermarket programme for EV's.

From my research I can see that the Nissan Leaf PTC is a common failure point and as such we want to look into these in more detail.

Firstly, does anyone have a failed one we can buy from them to take a look at?

Secondly, how big is this problem? (No of people effected etc.) How much does the OEM option cost?

Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello

We are a company in Nottingham looking at setting up an aftermarket programme for EV's.

From my research I can see that the Nissan Leaf PTC is a common failure point and as such we want to look into these in more detail.

Firstly, does anyone have a failed one we can buy from them to take a look at?

Secondly, how big is this problem? (No of people effected etc.) How much does the OEM option cost?

Thank you.
My PTC broke about a month ago, replaced by a verified EV garage with an official Nissan PTC and I still have the old broken one if you're interested?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Details are:

Car had done about 55,000 miles. No report of previous PTC failure.

PTC was £588.69+VAT (total £706.43) from Nissan although the repair wasn't carried out at Nissan.
Labour was 4.8 hours so total £432.
Grand total of £1138.43 for the luxury of having a warm car again.

The plan was to test and repair it and sell it on but if you want it I've also got the fault codes and test report print out i'll put in the box. £200 the lot?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Details are:

Car had done about 55,000 miles. No report of previous PTC failure.

PTC was £588.69+VAT (total £706.43) from Nissan although the repair wasn't carried out at Nissan.
Labour was 4.8 hours so total £432.
Grand total of £1138.43 for the luxury of having a warm car again.

The plan was to test and repair it and sell it on but if you want it I've also got the fault codes and test report print out i'll put in the box. £200 the lot?
What age Leaf is it from?

C

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, the £200 is steep though. we have a quote of £100 for a working one from a breaker. we'd like a working/broken one that we can test side by side to get electrical data from. but I wouldn't be able to justify £200 on a broken one to my boss.

Can we reach a compromise?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok, the £200 is steep though. we have a quote of £100 for a working one from a breaker. we'd like a working/broken one that we can test side by side to get electrical data from. but I wouldn't be able to justify £200 on a broken one to my boss.

Can we reach a compromise?
I'm just looking to recoup my considerable losses but I won't play hardball, seen them going on ebay for £300 working hence came up with the £200.

£150 and i'll pay for the postage? Can ship it today

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Since nobody else has mentioned it - be aware that there are two different PTC heaters for the Leaf.

Gen 1 has a water/coolant loop heating PTC heater mounted under the 12v battery - this is what I believe this thread is discussing, and these are prone to failure.

Gen 2 cars have an air heating PTC heater mounted in the airflow in the heater box to directly heat the air stream - I've not heard of any of these failing? All Leaf's with heat pumps have this later design direct air heating PTC heater.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Since nobody else has mentioned it - be aware that there are two different PTC heaters for the Leaf.

Gen 1 has a water/coolant loop heating PTC heater mounted under the 12v battery - this is what I believe this thread is discussing, and these are prone to failure.

Gen 2 cars have an air heating PTC heater mounted in the airflow in the heater box to directly heat the air stream - I've not heard of any of these failing? All Leaf's with heat pumps have this later design direct air heating PTC heater.

Gen 1 fails with more regularity for sure, however I'm seeing Gen 2's failing too.

If anyone has a broken Gen 1 that'd be immense

·
Registered
340 Posts
There's a thread somewhere about the heater being noisy. I thought it was the fan until I turned the heating off for the first time yesterday - it's certainly more noisy than I remember, and I've got a 68 plate Leaf that's only done a little over 10k miles. I hope that isn't a pointer towards a failure?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts