Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems to me that the LEAF range does decrease quite a bit in cold weather?

Last weekend we travelled from our base in Milton Keynes over past Warwick to Kenilworth Castle. We've made this trip before.

On the previous, summer trip, we made it there, returned to Daventry for a top up, and then went home on the motorway, no problems.

This time, by the time we arrived at Kenilworth, predicted range was down to around 22 miles, so we went home via the M40 and used the Ecotricity Warwick Welcome Break fast charger.

We did use some more heat and demisting this time, as you might expect, but both times we were lead by the GPS in "Eco" mode, so you'd think the difference would't be huge. But it feels like it was.

Anyone else experiencing similar now the weather's turning?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
20% is not inconsiderable, apparently the second generation heater is a lot better, but still notice a decline for sure.

I think it will be a smart habit to get used to pre-heating the car while plugged in, so as to take the pressure off of the battery.

·
Registered
63 Posts
As the weather turns the pre-heating option will be so useful in helping to get the most out of the battery charge.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Having bought a 1 year old Nissan Leaf in late September last year I was finding the range was reducing over the winter (battery usage increased to around 1.5% of capacity per mile on short journeys around February/March, especialy when the battery temperature guage was down to three [or even two] bars) and has been increasing since, (battery usage in late July, with the battery temperature consistently on five bars, is now just over 1.0% per mile). For longer winter journeys the battery warmed up with use, better figures were obtained. I only used the pre-heat when frost was forecast (to save a lot of effort de-icing the windows) as the display usually said that using the heating would only reduce the range by around 3 miles, and usually such a reduction in range was not critical for the journeys I was making.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
One significant factor (discussed elsewhere on SpeakEV) is the drag caused by water on the road. In yesterday's rain a hilly 20 mile round trip which in fine warm weather would take 25% battery capacity took 32% capacity - yes, it was colder (battery temp down to 4 bars instead of 5) and I had to use the heater and demister on occasions but I would not have expected the heater to make that much difference.

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
One significant factor (discussed elsewhere on SpeakEV) is the drag caused by water on the road. In yesterday's rain a hilly 20 mile round trip which in fine warm weather would take 25% battery capacity took 32% capacity - yes, it was colder (battery temp down to 4 bars instead of 5) and I had to use the heater and demister on occasions but I would not have expected the heater to make that much difference.
Yes, similar experience to you, yesterday driving on very wet but mainly level roads and the battery on 4 bars instead of 5. Used 16% of capacity instead of the usual 13% for the 13 miles round trip without using the heater or demister but wipers on 100% of the journey. So comparing our journeys the wet road surfaces and the colder temperature seem to be the main causes for reduced economy.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Driving my diesel up to Scotland today in mostly heavy rain nearly all the way I reckon I lost 5mpg out of 52mpg in the wet bits compared to dry - wind behind me so the diff was the water. I've seen more than that lost on other occasions though.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I drove to my visit my elderly parents on Friday. The trip is 76 miles. Last time I did it in the dry I had 20% SOC when I arrived. This Friday it was 5%. All due to the wet roads.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Does anyone know the effect of lower temperatures on rolling resistance? Last winter I got the distinct impression that a lot of short runs in a day (when the tyres would have cooled down between runs) used significantly more charge than that used travelling the same total distance in one go.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
@Hilltop Dave I personally think that it is the lots of short runs that reduces the range, as the car is heating up the cabin every time you restart in winter, but even so. I don't get as good range if I do lots of short journeys compared to one longer one either, summer or winter.
The tyres go hard in cold weather unless you fit winter tyres (recommended) so I wouldn't expect them to make much difference. But I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Following discussionon this topic in Nissan LEAF battery performance issues I thought I would analyse my spreadsheet of daily mileage and battery state of charge, and came up with the following monthly averages for the %battery used per mile travelled:

Oct 14 - 1.21% - Car (ex Demo) new to me, so high mileage trying it out
Nov 14 - 1.38%
Dec 14 - 1.46%
Jan 15 - 1.51%
Feb 15 - 1.48%
Mar 15 - 1.37%
April 15 - 1.23%
May 15 - 1.21%
June 15 - 1.15%
July 15 - 1.13%
Aug 15 - 1.16%
Sept 15 - 1.33%
Oct 15 - 1.33%
Nov 15 - 1.54% - short mileage after standing still for 6 weeks while on holiday
Dec 15 - 1.40% (so far; 2/3 of the mileage on one day)

It will be interesting to see how 2016 compares with 2015

·
Vendor
1,163 Posts
On Saturday, I had a bit of a nightmare journey. Was taking my brother in law, and his family, to Manchester Airport. It was 2C and raining very heavily. There were 3 suitcases and a pushchair in the boot, and 3 adults plus a baby in the car. We'd got into the car very very wet, because of loading the luggage, and wearing our wet coats in the car. Therefore, heating and air con needed to be on to prevent misting up.
The distance from my house, to their house, then to Manchester Airport is 61.5 miles. I set off at 1.30pm fully charged, and pre-heated.
Due to the very heavy rain, and my desire to conserve energy, my speed was rarely in excess of 50mph, often much lower.
There were frequent traffic issues due to flash-flooding across the motorway, so what is usually a 90 min journey took more like 2 and a half hours.
I arrived at Terminal 3 at 4pm with - - - showing on the battery% gauge. It's 2.4 miles to the nearest charger (Marriot). I turned everything off except for the fan and the headlights, and took the most direct, non-motorway route that I could. As I pulled into the car park at the Marriot I got the turtle on the dashboard, so it couldn't have managed much further. I had driven exactly 64 miles from full. (Incidentally, they wanted to charge me £15 for a charge at the Marriot, which I argued was unfair due to the cost of 1hr of electric being about 80p, so they ended up letting me use it for just an hour for free).
When it had charged up to 20% (with climate control keeping me warm and demisted!), I decided to brave the (non-motorway, slow, back-road) journey to Lymm services (nearest Rapid). I got to Lymm services with 5% left. I charged to 75%, then set off to Charnock Richard, did a quick top up to 80%, then went to Preston and along the A59 back to Skipton (to avoid all the flooding on all the other possible routes into Skipton). Finally got home at 8pm, with 20% left in the battery (rain had stopped, and roads had mainly drained by this point).
So I'd say that worst case scenario, in a 24kWh LEAF with climate control on, near zero outside temp, lots of standing water, over varied and hilly terrain, with a fairly full load of passengers and luggage, the range of the LEAF is realistically 60 miles maximum.

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
On Saturday, I had a bit of a nightmare journey. Was taking my brother in law, and his family, to Manchester Airport. It was 2C and raining very heavily. There were 3 suitcases and a pushchair in the boot, and 3 adults plus a baby in the car. We'd got into the car very very wet, because of loading the luggage, and wearing our wet coats in the car. Therefore, heating and air con needed to be on to prevent misting up.
The distance from my house, to their house, then to Manchester Airport is 61.5 miles. I set off at 1.30pm fully charged, and pre-heated.
Due to the very heavy rain, and my desire to conserve energy, my speed was rarely in excess of 50mph, often much lower.
There were frequent traffic issues due to flash-flooding across the motorway, so what is usually a 90 min journey took more like 2 and a half hours.
I arrived at Terminal 3 at 4pm with - - - showing on the battery% gauge. It's 2.4 miles to the nearest charger (Marriot). I turned everything off except for the fan and the headlights, and took the most direct, non-motorway route that I could. As I pulled into the car park at the Marriot I got the turtle on the dashboard, so it couldn't have managed much further. I had driven exactly 64 miles from full. (Incidentally, they wanted to charge me £15 for a charge at the Marriot, which I argued was unfair due to the cost of 1hr of electric being about 80p, so they ended up letting me use it for just an hour for free).
When it had charged up to 20% (with climate control keeping me warm and demisted!), I decided to brave the (non-motorway, slow, back-road) journey to Lymm services (nearest Rapid). I got to Lymm services with 5% left. I charged to 75%, then set off to Charnock Richard, did a quick top up to 80%, then went to Preston and along the A59 back to Skipton (to avoid all the flooding on all the other possible routes into Skipton). Finally got home at 8pm, with 20% left in the battery (rain had stopped, and roads had mainly drained by this point).
So I'd say that worst case scenario, in a 24kWh LEAF with climate control on, near zero outside temp, lots of standing water, over varied and hilly terrain, with a fairly full load of passengers and luggage, the range of the LEAF is realistically 60 miles maximum.
Real world experience which confirms that while a 100 m range car can be workable in summer you need a 200 mile range car for the winter. Car makers - bring it on guys. (y)

·
Vendor
1,163 Posts
My average consumption was 2.9 miles per kWh on the way there, and 3.4miles per kWh on way back. Temp was the same. Difference was the lack of standing water on the road (plus weight). Heater on all the time. Sensible road speeds. If it had been a "normal" driver, who would drive at 70mph+ on motorway despite the weather, I wouldn't have managed 50 miles.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
My average consumption was 2.9 miles per kWh on the way there, and 3.4miles per kWh on way back. Temp was the same. Difference was the lack of standing water on the road (plus weight).
The lack of standing water is already acknowledged to be a significant factor; also the battery would be warming up on the journey (especially with the Rapid charges) which could also be significant.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Yep, we had the same. 2 degrees and raining took 70% to cover 42 miles a few weeks back. It was much better after a rapid charge.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Agreed. The battery temp was down to 3 bars on the way there, but up to 5 by the time I got back home (after two rapid charges).
Today, I'm back to 4.0miles per kWh. 8C outside.
I've never reached the dizzy heights of 4 miles per kWh. That silent acceleration is too addictive.

·
Vendor
1,163 Posts
My best ever was 5.6... That was driving on an eco route (but over the pennines) from Skipton to Salford, when I did 56 miles on less than 50% of the battery. However, that was in dry conditions, just me on board, and minimal climate control.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts