Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always thought the LEAF remote key was good, but today I realised I could lock and unlock the car from almost half way across a rather large car park.

I've never had a car with such incredible range on "the zapper". It's mightily impressive.

Anyone else noticed this?! Going to have to play more when I have long open spaces to play in.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
The Zoe has a similar long range remote key. I reckon about 200m.

·
Super Moderator
5,896 Posts
Same with the Volt/Ampera. Probably something to do with pre heat, if it wasnt long rang how would you PH in you pajarmas:D

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Same with the Volt/Ampera. Probably something to do with pre heat, if it wasnt long rang how would you PH in you pajarmas:D
I can pre-heat via my app or website, so don't even need to get out of bed!

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The key doesn't do that with the LEAF, the app does (when working), so no need for crazy remote strength.

Maybe it's because it's not used so much it just keeps a stronger battery/signal?

No idea, just seemed remarkably long range.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Have not tried it with my Leaf, but was able to lock my V-reg Nissan Primera from a long distance when its keyfob batteries were new (range reduced as the keyfob battery aged).

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,406 Posts
I agree, a ridiculous range. Risks unlocking the car with the fob accidentally bumped, and you'd never know.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Never tried it, but heard the blipper will work over phone (eg lost key and missus has spare at home) thus giving range up to 12000 miles. ;)

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Luckily if you do unlock it by mistake, but do not open it, the car will lock its self after about 30 seconds.

Reactions: JamesM

·
Registered
274 Posts
If you press it against your head, the range increases.

I saw Clarkson do that and assumed it was a joke, but recently had cause to try it for real (forgot to lock car, right down end of garden, couldn't be bothered to walk all the way back). Wouldn't work until I held it against my head, then it did. Smart!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts