Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so after 12 months and 8,500 miles my tyres are close to the end of their life (I know I know)...

What tyres would folk recommend, any really good/bad options? Any good sites for testing and reports or guides?

Thanks!

Paul

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm:

The test found the Michelin had the best wear, the best fuel consumption and the best wet braking after 18,000kms. While other tyres could get close to the Michelin Energy Saver+ in a single test, the new tyre offered an all round performance no other tyre could match.
TyreWet BrakingTread lifeExtra fuel
Continental Eco Contact 3+1.6m-11,700 miles7l
Goodyear EfficientGrip+2.3m-9,200km24l
Bridgestone Ectopica EP150+0.6m-8,300km39l
Pirelli P1 Cinturato+0.1m-8,200km14l
*All figures compared to the Michelin Energy Saver+ over 47,108km of tread life.

From: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Michelin-Energy-Saver-Plus-Launched.htm

Also some light reading:

http://www.interstate-tires.com/sites/default/files/Autovisie.Official tyre.test engels.pdf

And some more:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/60112/goodyear-efficientgrip

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,543 Posts
When I get my car back I will see what wear is on my tyres, 10 months 22,000 miles, mainly sitting on the motorway though and some kind of Michelins.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Just got a set of Michelin Energy Saver+ from Costco. They were on offer and worked out around £65 each Inc. fitting. Not sure if the offer is still on though.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
@Paul If Costco don't have them try B&T Tyres in Bletchley - they've always been very good and well priced whenever I've used them.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF 24kWh; Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
343 Posts
Camskill Tyres have always had keen prices. I've used them for winter tyres on my other car (add about £10-£15 per wheel for local fitting & balancing).

Looking through the list of 16" choices, the Bridgestone EP001S rates well for fuel efficiency, wet grip and noise.

Reactions: Paul

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Seriously ? 8500 miles ........
I had Michelin green energy tyres on my last Volvo, got 60,000 miles out of them....
On my last pickup (2ton empty) I got 65000 out of the fronts and 100,000 out of the rears. That rolled like crazy round corners.
They were Bridgestone duellers. Not probably suitable for a leaf, but lasted forever (gripped like a dog in socks on laminate floor though !)

If you are killing the tres that quickly, a harder compound has to be a sensible option, the michelins are probably a good bet!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's the Michelin Energy Saver+ I have now though, so not a great experience.

I used to eat tyres in my Cooper S, but NEVER at a rate like this, I'm quite stunned to be honest.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
My record is 4000 miles, but I was 18 and they were remoulds on a pug GTi.....
Maybe you just need to buy some concrete tyres and live with the lower grip ? ;)

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,543 Posts
The Michelins on the Ampera have a treadwear figure of 400, I have a VX220 and the tyres on it have a treadwear figure of 140, the higher the figure the harder the compound.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts