Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm going to drive my Nissan Leaf from Brighton to Belgium in a few weeks time. The plan is to drive to Dover, get ferry to Dunkirk then drive through France onto Antwerp in Belgium where we will stay for a few days, then head off to Holland.

So I need to charge in 3 countries: France, Belgium and Holland.

Has anyone had experience of a trip like this in a Leaf?

I'd like advice on the following:

1. Do I need any cards? If so, what are the best card/s to have & how much do they cost? Or can I use apps instead?

2. What is best way to find chargers? I have the Charge Map app.

3. Does Nissan sat nav show chargers abroad?

4. Can I charge while on DFD ferry?

5. Any recent blogs or articles about such a journey (maybe shall I write one?)

6. Am I crazy to attempt this. Leaf allows me about 80miles drive before I need to recharge.

Looking forward to your advice/tips.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Zero chance of being able to charge on a DFD ferry. They just pack the cars in any old place, and on the last one I used at Dunkirk there were no visible 13A sockets to plug my Ampera into, or anything like that.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Many (all?) ferries have three phase electrical hookups which are used to power lorries refrigeration units while onboard, as they cant run the usual diesel powered chillers.

Seems it would be trivial (at least in theory) to use one of those hookups to power a portable EVSE as its very likely they'll be standard 230/415v supplies. Getting permission in practice to do so is a different story ofcourse.

I guess having the correct adaptor lead to hand, and just asking the question at loading you might get lucky. Getting an official answer beforehand is less likely to be fruitful i'd guess, and finding out what exact adaptor your going to need will also be tricky!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts