Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,115 Posts
It has been a poorly kept secret than the next LEAF will have more range.

Nissan showed a 48kWh engineering prototype last year. They also did a market survey asking current LEAF owners how much they'd pay for increased range.

Battery chemistry and packaging has advanced some over the last few years. Telsa have been talking about improvements too. I wasn't expecting double capacity in the same sized box, but we'll see.

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
Cool. I guess we can assume it's 250 NEDC miles (compared to today's Leaf with 124 NEDC miles) so a bit less than that in the real world. I wonder if it will debut for the next model change?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Wonder if nissan finance will be willing to budge on the REDICULOUS guaranteed final value payment at the end of my PCP in 2016?? ;-) Doubt it but I'll take a new one in grey, Tekna spec and (hopefully) 5 seats in September 2016 please. Really looking forward and quite excited to see what battery / range advancements over the next couple of years will bring; the plan will be drop the ICE and go full electric.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
To be honest if I could get a 250 mile range EV then great... But I would rather a smaller 130-150 mile range EV and save myself a few grand. I would only exceed this range in a full day a hand full of times per year... I would rather rapid charge on these rare occasions rather than carrying around a larger battery.

At least give the customer the option, short range EV or long range EV.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Definitely the option would be great, I'd be able to make use of the extended range on a weekly basis, I guess you then have the same issue with resale values similar to the 3.3kw 6.6kw issue where depending on where the market goes you could end up taking a hit on the short range model?

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I wonder if they would take the opportunity of a new longer range model to start moving away from CHadEMO ... (watches as hell freezes over). Seriously, 50kw will be a bit slow for a 250 mile battery?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I wonder if they would take the opportunity of a new longer range model to start moving away from CHadEMO ... (watches as hell freezes over). Seriously, 50kw will be a bit slow for a 250 mile battery?
Kia has already produced 100kw chademo chargers for the Soul EV so I suspect by the time this car is launched higher powered chargers will be available.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I guess it also depends on at what percentage the charge rate drops off, if they can sustain 50kw (or thereabouts) until about 80% then you could get a lot of useful range in a reasonable amount of time. A half hour stop could be enough to give you about 90 miles range rather than 50 - 60 miles (taking into account an example situation where you arrive with about 15% and the charge rate drops after 50% capacity with my current 2 gen Leaf). It would mean that on my larger trips (usually 260 ish miles) you would only need to stop at a motorway rapid for half an hour in total to give enough range for the whole trip which would be more than acceptable IMO. (all assuming that 250 mile range means about 180 in reality)

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.