Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought my 2016 30kWh Tekna last July and it was due its yearly service in February so it went in yesterday for a "major" service.

I'm not someone who has much experience with "dealer servicing". In 30 years of driving I've never owned cars within their original factory warranty period, done all the servicing and most of the repairs of my cars myself as it's just something I like to do. (Although as I get older, stiffer and busier I admit I find myself not enjoying it nearly as much! :LOL: )

My first experience of dealer servicing was Peugeot for my Peugeot Ion - and it wasn't good shall we say. I'll just leave it at that, I think I've already grumped about them in older threads.

I was kind of dreading taking the car to be honest. The only reason I took it is to "maintain" the 8 year battery warranty, which with a Leaf I think is pretty important to be honest as they don't have the best track record for battery degradation or failing cells. (Although touch wood mine is still very good) There's nothing in the Leaf service schedule I can't trivially do myself so I would be doing it myself if not for having to get an appropriate stamp in the book...

So I booked it online (my first mistake) three weeks ago including use of a Loan Car. Email confirmations saying everything is fine. The first available date was more than a week later with the loan car option ticked so it seemed to be checking for car availability. As I was not sure if I was going to be working that day or not I needed the loan car, and I was hoping the loaner might be a Leaf 40 or 62 so I could get a drive in one rather than a stinky Diesel. (Optimist I know! :D)

Come yesterday I arrive, hand over the keys and then discover there is no loan car for me. "Sorry, we don't see anything on our system about requesting a loan car and all our loan cars are booked out today". I pull up the booking confirmation on my phone which shows "Loan Car" in the confirmation summary, which just drew a blank look. "Normally a loan car would have to be booked at least 2 weeks in advance" I'm told. "I booked it online 3 weeks ago". Still a blank deer in the headlights looks.

Rebooking would have meant a several week delay to get a loan car (for real this time hopefully) and would put it well past the 12 month service interval - I didn't want to give them even a sliver of an excuse 4 years from now to void a battery warranty claim because a service was late. As it happened I wasn't working yesterday but still needed to pick up my son from nursery and run other errands so I just took it on the chin and went home by bus (about an hour via two buses) and fired up the old CO2 belcher to run the rest of my errands that day and then caught two buses back in to pick up the Leaf again.

The job was actually finished in 3 hours and pick up was pleasant enough, and maybe I'm being overly critical but the following things annoyed me:

1) No stamp in the service book despite me making sure the book was in the car, and they had even removed it from the glovebox. I do have a receipt that says major service on it though, so I guess I'll just have to add it to a previous receipt before I owned the car where a Nissan dealer serviced it and didn't stamp the book either. (Is that common?)

2) Despite being a "major" service, clearly stated on the invoice, the only consumables listed were pollen filter and 250mL screen wash. (Like I can't put my own screen wash in - I have four 5 litre containers of the stuff at home and I only filled it the day before. :ROFLMAO:) So where was the brake fluid change ? On the other hand the brake pedal was very soft and going right to the floor once I got in the car - something I've never seen it do before, and it didn't come back to normal until I started to drive it. So they did something to the brakes, despite not itemising brake fluid.

All in all, not a great first impression. Since you can technically maintain the battery warranty by getting any VAT registered competent 3rd party garage to do the "service" I think I may go down that route next time - I just didn't have enough time in the last couple of months to research the options in my area. I have a local garage who do my MOT's and have done some work on my ICE that I trust, but I don't know if they are able or willing to do a Leaf "service".

I saved a copy of all ECU firmware versions on Leafspy before the service so I will check later to see if any ECU's have had updates, but I doubt it. (My car has already had both the BMS and Brake control ECU firmware updates before I bought it)

Anyone have better experiences than me? Just par for the course? Better than average? :p

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,981 Posts
In answer to your question, I think this is about normal for dealers.

Did they actually do anything to the car? Did you check the pollen filter was actually new?

I wouldn't assume anything with a dealer. You just pay for the stamp...

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Damn. I got my Zoe serviced last week and didn't even check for the stamp!
As long as you have a letterhead service invoice saying something like "major service" with a date and mileage I can't see how they could use the lack of a stamp against you in the future. Just don't lose that invoice.

It's annoying, but one of the previous services for this car before I bought it was missing the stamp - but the seller provided the Nissan letterhead invoice for that "missing" service that clearly says that it was a major service and has date and mileage on it which is consistent with the service schedule.

I assumed that the previous owner just forgot to leave the book in the car when taking it in for the service, hence me making sure to leave the book in the car. (I usually leave it in the house to maximise glovebox space...) However it now looks like it could have equally just been a lazy dealer that didn't bother to stamp the book, as in my case.
In answer to your question, I think this is about normal for dealers.

Did they actually do anything to the car? Did you check the pollen filter was actually new?
I'm not going to the trouble of pulling out the pollen filter to check it... :p

They did also give it a very half hearted wash, although "hose down" might have been more descriptive as the door shuts still had plenty of dirt.
I wouldn't assume anything with a dealer. You just pay for the stamp...
Sadly I think you're right. I'm literally just paying for the stamp to keep the battery warranty intact, nothing else. (And this time I only got an invoice, not even a stamp)

While I never quite dabbled at the level of "engine rebuild", I've done major repair work on petrol engines many times before, exhaust systems, suspension and brakes, electrical systems etc...and even did a traction battery out on the floor cell swap on my Ion on my driveway....(as well as repair its onboard charger and brake vacuum pump when those failed..) I can change pollen filters and brake fluid myself thanks very much Nissan. :)

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,981 Posts
I can change pollen filters and brake fluid myself thanks very much. :)
If you're a real tight-arse like me you can ask them not to do the pollen filter and screen wash and they'll knock it off the bill.

My Zoe 'A' service as all of €89, so I said to hell with the expense!

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The screen wash top up is a joke. You get your car serviced once a year - in winter I'm filling the screen wash about every 2 weeks. :p

The aerodynamics of the rear window are terrible on the Leaf - even at 60mph dirt and rain fall directly onto it and need constant wiping and cleaning in wet weather. Versus my ICE which has a more horizontal rear window (sedan styled hatchback) which doesn't even pick up rain drops on the glass above 30mph let alone dirt...

When I first bought the Leaf I wondered why the rear window wiper has a continuous setting - now I know! :ROFLMAO:

Strangely the Ion, which had a rear window/boot shape very similar to the Leaf including the overhang did not suffer from rain and dirt landing on the rear glass above 30mph.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,981 Posts
Remember the Leaf 30 is a town car only, normally driven by Doris from 42 Acacia Avenue. She does 2,000 miles per year and isn't even aware of the rear wiper because she never looks out of the rear view mirror. :p

Oh, and yep. No stamp in my service book. Bastards.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Regarding EV servicing in general, I think dealers are setting themselves up a pretty good racket to try to keep the revenue flowing as EV's take over...

ICE cars typically only had one whole car warranty of around 3 years - beyond that there is no incentive to go to a dealer for servicing. And ICE cars do genuinely need things like coolant, oil and oil filter changes etc. Skip those for a few years and you will run into trouble, but any competent garage can do them or you can DIY them.

EV's really don't have anything that needs doing outside of pollen filter, brake fluid, visual inspections, and maybe checking the battery health. On an EV with liquid cooled batteries you may need to periodically check or replace coolant for the battery system - that's the nearest I can think of to actual honest to goodness "servicing" needed on an EV, but is likely to be once every 5 years at most.

So once the 3 year full car warranty is up people would not be inclined to go back to their dealer - anyone can do the brake fluid and pollen filter and there isn't really anything else to do. However they have come up with the scheme of offering an extended battery warranty (8 years 100k miles for a Leaf 30) which is dependent on "servicing" the car on schedule for those full 8 years.

Whether they would have a legal case to deny a battery warranty because you didn't let them change the pollen filter and brake fluid on time and none of the service is battery related is still an open question and has been debated in other threads...

Expect this to become the norm with EV's as dealers scramble to maintain their revenue flow (and relevance) as we move to EV's...

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Remember the Leaf 30 is a town car only, normally driven by Doris from 42 Acacia Avenue. She does 2,000 miles per year and isn't even aware of the rear wiper because she never looks out of the rear view mirror. :p
This Leaf is in for a shock then. I'm looking like it's going to be doing about 14k miles a year, and that's lockdown considered. (Although as I'm still working through this second lockdown, nothing much has changed for me...) I'm doing more in the Leaf than the Ion because it's bigger with double the range, so I'm having to use the (bigger, longer range) ICE a lot less than before.
Oh, and yep. No stamp in my service book. Bastards.
Are you going to go back for a stamp or just file the receipt away?

·
Registered
2016 Nissan leaf
144 Posts
Mines went in for an MOT and major service last month.
Within 2 hours it was all completed. I was a little surprised as to how quick they completed it. At the back of mind I was thinking whether they replaced anything as part of the service. No stamp in the book just an invoice.
When I got home I checked the MOT and noticed they screwed up on the mileage adding around another 2k to the mileage:(. All got sorted in the end but all seems rushed to me

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I always top up the screenwash before taking it in, that way if they try to charge me for it I know they are trying it on!
Mine was filled up the day before. They still managed to squeeze some in and charge me for it.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,500 Posts
You got to call them. Despite having everything written down via Emails, I find dealers are stuck in the era before internet.
(except when they text and Email you their offers)

I had 2 free servicing from my PCP deal on the Leaf.
First one minor and they begrudgingly provided a loaner for free, telling me I need to pay for insurance, I said this was not communicated to me in writing anywhere (I checked as part of selecting garages). Obviously they were trying to get me to pay for the excess waiver.

Second time was a major service, I declined the loaner car and took a day off, set up my laptop in their waiting area.
I pointed out the free servicing paperwork says includes "coolant", so managed to get the 5 yr coolant change done using the free service. The reason I took a day off is because I was prepared to stay for the whole day and call + complain at service package provider if dealer refused to do it.

After the free one services ran out, where it nicely coincide with 5 yr battery warranty running out. I now do the filter and fluid myself. Leafspy on the battery health. MOT for safety checks.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
I had a major service done on the LEAF last week. Screenwash, filter and fluid all itemised. 5 pages of checklists and battery tests etc. Video (link texted and emailed to me) walk-though under the car, wheels, tyres, brakes etc.Service record printed and service book stamped. MOT done. Car cleaned inside and out. 1yr roadside assistance cover. Collected and delivered. Payment over the phone by ccard, standard Nissan price. Car back on the drive, key and docs through the letterbox.

Bit pricey, but I can't be bothered with the faff of finding another garage and organising roadside cover.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
"Sorry, we don't see anything on our system about requesting a loan car and all our loan cars are booked out today". I pull up the booking confirmation on my phone which shows "Loan Car" in the confirmation summary, which just drew a blank look. "Normally a loan car would have to be booked at least 2 weeks in advance" I'm told. "I booked it online 3 weeks ago". Still a blank deer in the headlights looks.
That's bad. Many years ago I took a car (not a Nissan) in for service etc. They said they had no record of it. Luckily, I had a text from them confirming the booking, so they took it. Not sure how thorough they were with it after that.

Reminds me of...

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Reminds me of Peugeot trying to charge a different price to what I'd agreed by email.
When I pointed out that they'd already quoted me a far cheaper price which I had in writing, the guy tried to dress it up like I was on some VIP list.
Funnily enough the same happened when I fitted new tyres to the Leaf. (Not at Nissan, at an independent tyre shop, one I've used before too...)

Phoned up to order the tyres, got confirmation in email what the total cost was going to be and how long they would take to arrive, authorised ordering of the tyres by email reply.

I then went to get the tyres fitted and they tried to charge me about £40 more than the price that was agreed by email. Pulled out my phone and showed the email, after a slightly guilty look and a quick check in the back office they charged the originally agreed price.

And car service/repair related companies wonder why the public don't trust them...

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Ahhh if only there was an EV manufacturer that specified no service interval on their cars :D

Personally never had an issue with the 4 leafs i semi look after going in for a service each year, now down to 3 and maybe only 2 soon enough its not an issue for me and just book on the phone as its easier and takes all of 5 mins.
Online forms for such things always have some issue :(

·
Registered
F30 330e Sport
71 Posts
Dealers will continue to pick up a lot of EV servicing, especially as more and more cars will be purchased on PCP and lease. Last 3 cars I've had have been PCP and as part of the agreement servicing has to be main dealer to maintain the GMFV value (and also part ex value if you end early). Things like brake pads/discs and timing can be done elsewhere. I've never yet taken the chance on going outside of the dealer on a PCP, mainly because I don't want to have a shock when it comes to changing it!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts