Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 232 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This discussion is intended to help locate and verify the availability of rapid charging (CHAdeMO) across the Nissan UK dealership network.

An original list of 50 dealerships offering CHAdeMO rapid charging has been sourced via Nissan UK (August 2014 - thanks to @flipper for the original link) and the list will be updated to reflect the experiences of and feedback from the Speak EV community.

Points to note are things such as out of hours availability, experience of non-Nissan EV owners and other notes such as locations or whether the chargers are/can be self serve RFID card requirements and such.
  • Nissan Motors GB Ltd (HQ) - WD3 9YS - 24/7 access
  • Nissan Sunderland Plant (Gateshead College) - 24/7 access - Charge Your Car Network via @Colin
  • Nissan offices at Cranfield and the Sunderland production plant have their own staff only rapid chargers.
Please note this is for dealers with CHAdeMO rapids only, not all charger types.

While I'll try to keep the list up to date via my own efforts and community feedback, please always check with your planned destination before heading off and do NOT rely on this to be definitive.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Just newly Installed and operational Gateshead - Benfield Nissan NE10 0AZ
Also this has now been updated on Zap-map.

Reactions: Paul

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Not a Nissan dealership but Gateshead College is within the Nissan Sunderland plant and available 24-7 to the public via @CYC There are two rapids at the plant but the other has restricted access behind their actual factory gates and for Nissan only.

Nissan Factory, Gateshead College, Washington, Sunderland, SR5 3HZ. 24/7 Access

·
Registered
216 Posts
Westway Manchester is still not up and running, after 5 years, and 130,000 UK Leaf drivers. (They just deleted my reply to their Tweet with that information!) :rolleyes:

Their last update from 6/8/2014 says imminent, but they didn't reply to anyone who asked about the delay.

The independent dealers I have spoken with are furious that Westway Manchester were continued to be permitted to sell the Leaf when they had to pay tens of thousands for their own RC install for the privilege of being a Leaf dealer.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Ancaster Eltham is not working, they say they are waiting for nissan to fix but I think they aren't bothered

·
Registered
88 Posts
What's the etiquette if you want to charge your Leaf at a Nissan dealer with a charger? Is it best to phone first to check that it's ok, or is it fine just to pitch up and ask at reception?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
What's the etiquette if you want to charge your Leaf at a Nissan dealer with a charger? Is it best to phone first to check that it's ok, or is it fine just to pitch up and ask at reception?
The majority in my experience allow you to just turn up and go to reception, but if you have time you could telephone with a request. Be prepared for the spaces ICE blocked and time to move them!

Reactions: Ganymede

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
My experience is that each dealer is different. Glyn Hopkins, in Colchester, is accessible 24 hours. Just turn up and charge. During working hours their own Leafs might be charging, but that only happened to me once and they moved it very quickly. That one doesn't need an RFID card - just plug in and star. Motorline Tunbridge is also good - I cannot remember if they need an RFID card or not -it's months since I went there. Marshalls (Bury St. Eds) needs the RFID card they hold in the office. Otherwise it would be available 24 hours.

I have also charged at Vospers (Plymouth), Exeter Nissan dealers, Glyn Hopkins (Romford), the Loughborough dealer, the Sheffield dealer and that's about it I think.

I have always phoned up in advance. The phone numbers are given in Zapmap, but the opening hours displayed are often wrong.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I think Nissan need to make an effort to standardise their dealership charging network. It took 15 minutes on arrival at Westway Stockport for them to find the card. And then a further 5 minutes when I wanted to stop the charge. 20 minutes wasted! The charger is locked away and only available during dealership hours. Why does it need a card?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I think Nissan need to make an effort to standardise their dealership charging network. It took 15 minutes on arrival at Westway Stockport for them to find the card. And then a further 5 minutes when I wanted to stop the charge. 20 minutes wasted! The charger is locked away and only available during dealership hours. Why does it need a card?
I think you are forgetting one fundamental thing about the Nissan dealers... most of them are not owned by Nissan and so Nissan have only limited control. In spite of Nissan PR the majority of dealers I have spoken to consider the rapid chargers as a "perk" to owners and many would like to restrict their use to their own customers... in fact, some have tried. Many see the rapid charger as something they want to control as they see it as costing them money and they want to make sure it is not being abused.

I always ask at the dealer why they need to have a card. They are always defensive about the question. My dealer, JFE Nissan Exeter, just set up the charger to use a PIN instead of the card and they give the PIN to custoemrs so there are no delays. They have had no problems and I cannot imagine there would be any. Why more dealers don't use a code I can't imagine.

They are normally available in dealer opening hours because the only sensible place to site the charger is inside their security boundary and so they are not publicly accessible once closed. It would likely be very expensive to site outside their security boundary... if indeed it is actually possible as often there is no place suitable.

It is annoying that most Nissan chargers are only available in opening hours but this is how it is and I can see little benefit from complaining... it ain't going to change. We could encourage them to use a PIN though as that is easy to implement and will cost them nothing... I suspect they don't want to lose control though.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Our rapid is a pin, set to 100% and the 7kW double head pod point is a card.
Our three bays are well policed, hardly used by staff for the ICE, however it's the visiting public customers that usually park in them! Hence where possible we keep our EVs charging\parked in them so we can quickly move them.
Sadly they are not 24 hour accessible as like most dealerships a barrier has to be in place to stop potential car thefts and an Insurance requirement. Another however, luckily for us and users, Nissan is just down the road with a 24 hour accessible @CYC rapid. The next issue I can see for us\me is that Nissan offered fantastic deals to staff, so 3 mechanics will have private LEAFs and will probably want to use the slower pod point daily and as we know could take up to 7 hours! We may have to get them to part rapid charge then jump onto the 7kW. As discussed many times, the more sales and more popular they become the infrastructure will be stretched.

Reactions: PTM101

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
But that's just a question of scale. In time, there should be stacks of them.

The National Grid already delivers electricity to far more places than it is possible to buy petrol. Furthermore - and this point only really hit me on the head today - since it takes as much, or more, electricity per mile to refine petrol as it takes to drive an EV, EVs are not going to hammer the national grid to the extent that some have argued. In theory, they should actually save electricity because many people are powering their cars from solar panels.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Westway, are Nissan owned. They should be setting the standard shouldn't they? My experience is the independents are vastly superior.

Just as Nissan UK have insisted that all dealerships offer rapid charging free of charge to all Leaf drivers (until the end of this year anyway), they now need to make efforts to standardise the customer experience of using their chargers. We should not have to wait 15 minutes for a grumpy salesman to find an RFID card. We should not have to wait again for them to stop the charger. It just makes the experience negative, and costs both my time, and the sales people, when they are being distracted from potential customers to start and stop the charger. Maybe cones could be used in the RC bay to additionally prevent the charger from being blocked, again saving time in moving cars?

@Colin While I certainly think a PIN is a huge improvement over a card, and I'm sure your customers do also, what do you think would happen if there was no PIN necessary to use your charger?

In theory, they should actually save electricity because many people are powering their cars from solar panels.
Really? Most people I know with an EV are charging at home overnight, so not really getting much from solar panels at all.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
EVs are not going to hammer the national grid to the extent that some have argued. In theory, they should actually save electricity because many people are powering their cars from solar panels.
I certainly wouldn't argue with that point but it isn't quite as simple as that in that it may not stress the network as a whole but local cabling is often old and not able to provide the kind of modest power levels we might imagine should be commonplace today. recabling these local supplies can be very expensive and whilst I am sure they will be done eventually I suspect that these local supply limitations may well restrict the amount of EV charging that can be installed right now.

Maybe cones could be used in the RC bay to additionally prevent the charger from being blocked, again saving time in moving cars?
The vast majority of dealers I have visited need the space. I think it unreasonable for us to expect them to keep the charging bays clear at all times. Many of them just cannot spare the space. Remeber... they have only recently had chargers installed. Even the early ones have only had them installed within the past 3.5 years. They will have set out their dealership based on plans from before EVs. IMO it is unreasonable of us to expect any more than them clearing the bay when we ask.

1 - 20 of 232 Posts