Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Leaf 30 is due it’s minor service next week and will be 3 years old at the end of Feb.

I was wondering about taking some kind of extended warranty as I believe Nissan offer one for £300 or so pound.

Did anyone else get it / have it and is it worth it.

I know about the battery warranty is 7 years, and I think the power train has 5 years?

Do you think it’s worth it? Has anyone got it and claimed, any issues claiming?

Up to this point Nissan have been brilliant with there care.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,159 Posts
The battery is 8 years/100,000 miles, but that doesn't answer the question. £300 seems excessive given that the battery and the drivetrain are guaranteed separately.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was offered Nissan's extended warranty on my 2014 Acenta last September and I took up the offer. Nothing has failed on my car in 16 month's ownership, it's now covered only 23300 miles, but, having seen the eye-wateringly high costs on forums for replacing, for example, the PTC heater or the on-board charger, I think it's worth it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Are you sure it will be 3 yrs old? The Leaf 30 went out of production in Q3 2017, that would make it 4 yrs old in all likelihood?

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you sure it will be 3 yrs old? The Leaf 30 went out of production in Q3 2017, that would make it 4 yrs old in all likelihood?
Sorry my typo..... it will be 4 years old end of feb

·
Super Moderator
7,508 Posts
I would take out extended cover, small price for additional peace of mind and I think you can keep extending the cover but can’t “opt back in” at say 6 years okd

Reactions: Gospelman

·
Registered
274 Posts
Sorry my typo..... it will be 4 years old end of feb
No worries I didn't want to appear picky, just wanted to make sure as I didn't know if you can extend the Wty after it has lapsed.

My warranty ran out last March and had the very same thoughts.
We didn't extend, on balance the Leaf has been for us an extremely reliable car, and anecdotal evidence from internet forums seems to support that.

Only recurring issues seem to be creaky mirrors (easily fixed by oiling the pivots) and some (not huge numbers) PTC heater failures, which seems to mainly affect early Leafs so far, but time will tell whether it is age related, or a design flaw with those earlier models.
The PTC heater is a ££££ job so the Wty would be helpful here. (It can be done DIY though, a forum member has posted a YouTube video showing how they did it.

Time will tell if we made the right decision....

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I did it and.......

Renewed the warranty! Cost £480 I think, but I read the terms and conditions before hand and no weird get out clauses. Plain worded as in it will cover me for the next year, excluding tyres, wiper blades, etc etc.

Sat here still pondering if it was a wise decision, but it’s nice to know he’s covered for another year should anything happen, and my experience so far with any warranty claims has been superb, no fuss replacement.

On a side note, lots on here are negative about the “stealerships” but I changed my battery yesterday for a new Yuasa and it only dawned on my I’d forgotten to tighten the clamp down on my way home.

Opened to bonnet to find Nissan engineer had seen my silliness, tightened it down and greased my terminals.

A small thing, but they seem to be conscientious in Worthing Nissan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts