Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
some interesting comments in this report....

SINGAPORE – Nissan Motor Co. Vice Chairman Toshiyuki Shiga said in Singapore that the company will continue to focus on electric vehicles and won’t “rush” into the market for fuel-cell cars.

“We need to promote the electric vehicle first rather than hydrogen,” Shiga said in an interview, adding that Nissan only plans to promote fuel-cell cars “in the long-term future.”

“At the moment we are showing quite good results for the electric vehicle sales . . . we have a quite optimistic view for the future of EV expansion,” he said Friday. “Nissan is still the leader of the electric vehicle (and) wants to keep the lead in the world.”

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...fuel-cell-cars-evs-remain-rosy-vice-chairman/

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Interesting that he still hints at supporting hydrogen in the "long-term future".

So reading into that I get that Nissan does believe hydrogen has a future but just not yet. So Nissan perhaps sees EVs as a stopgap between fossil fuels and hydrogen.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Until there is a full infrastructure in place for the low cost manufacture of Hydrogen the fuel cell car will probably remain a rarity. Unless Hydrogen is 'made' using a non polluting method there is little point in its adoption, even though the Governments will be more able to Tax it than they can Electricity from my roof.
A big advantage of EV's is that the infrastructure needed is almost in place.

·
http://ts.la/david3488
642 Posts
Hydrogen should be used in large ships and earth movers and massive vehicles, certainly in my lifetime.
We have to use and get BEV to a new level before we mass market Hydrogen
Its production and storage will bring the north-east a few quid I'm sure at the expense of the tax payer and the planet

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
That "in the long term" could be translated as "if we think it likely that our competitors will get an edge through the production of hydrogen-fuelled cars".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts