Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last week a member on RZOC mentioned his dealer told him there would be no AEBS on early UK deliveries of the ZE50, I tweeted Renault UK and Group Renault to query this and here's the reply, I for one would of liked to have known this when I ordered ?...….

Screenshot_20200224-163618.png

·
Registered
204 Posts
"Automatic Emergency Braking System" for anyone not getting the acronym.

Always worth checking the actual product paperwork carefully before signing on the dotted line, unless its clear within Renault's own adverts (as you can then go down the trades description act route, but really all you'd be able to do is reject the car and get a refund).
Unless its written down, you'll have nothing to stand on if there is a dispute.

·
Registered
128 Posts
AEB is not in the spec in the advertising brochure. There is ABS as expected and EBS which is described as Emergency Braking Assist. Does this mean the EBS will not be available - if so it is not as advertised.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,729 Posts
Not having AEB would make sense as there no radar fitted.

EBS just augments the braking when it senses an emergency stop.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,729 Posts
So where (if anywhere) has it been stated that the new ZOE will come with AEB?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is a whole suite of safety systems on the ZOE, including the Active Emergency Braking System (AEBS), Lane Departure Warning (LDW), Lane Keeping Assist (LKA), Traffic Sign Recognition (TSR), Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM) and Auto High/Low beam headlamps (AHL).

Its in here under Safety Renault

·
Registered
254 Posts
The spec in the brochure just says EBA. This is what EBA is described as by Renault

Emergency Brake Assist (EBA)
Emergency brake assist compensates for deficiencies in the driver’s action on the brake pedal. Drivers in emergency situations tend to apply insufficient pressure or release braking pressure too soon. Emergency brake assist remedies both of these deficiencies. Other experimental studies show that emergency brake assist can reduce stopping distances by between 5 and 9 metres on dry roads (source: LAB).

So not the same as an automatic breaking system which as said earlier needs some form of radar. It is true though that the manual does talk about Active Emergency Breaking which also got mentioned in some earlier promotional material. I also thought having some form of AEB contributed to getting a 5 star NCAP rating.

So this is worth checking with Renault to check if AEB is in the UK spec or not. Maybe one for Badger in Black to comment on?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Not sure it will happen but NCAP can reassess. This is from NCAP

6.3.1.2. A vehicle’s original rating is no longer considered valid as a result of an annual or facelift review (see Application of Star Ratings protocol) or because the original rating is more than six years old. In such cases, the vehicle becomes eligible for reassessment by Euro NCAP member, the vehicle manufacturer or third party.
Note: A vehicle model is not eligible for reassessment if, at all annual and facelift reviews, its original rating is considered valid for the current vehicle.

Still interesting to get a definitive answer on the AEB (frankly not hopeful it will be in the UK spec).

·
Registered
128 Posts
There is a whole suite of safety systems on the ZOE, including the Active Emergency Braking System (AEBS), Lane Departure Warning (LDW), Lane Keeping Assist (LKA), Traffic Sign Recognition (TSR), Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM) and Auto High/Low beam headlamps (AHL).

Its in here under Safety Renault
They must have had a problem implementing the AEBS since the press release in September 19 and the printed brochure and website now make no mention of AEBS on the Zoe.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,729 Posts
They must have had a problem implementing the AEBS since the press release in September 19 and the printed brochure and website now make no mention of AEBS on the Zoe.
Well, we know they had issues with the software. I wonder if they will add the radar sneakily in later versions.

It seems an odd omission.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Gotcha!!
This is from Renault retail group renaultretail.co.uk dated 18.2.20

‘All New ZOEs get comprehensive safety equipment, including an Active Emergency Braking System (AEBS) and Lane Departure Warning (LDW)’

So they have stated it is part of the package on a related corporate website but not on the main website

·
Zoe Devotee
9,254 Posts
Doesn't affect the ncap rating? Except it absolutely does as that's necessary to get a 5 star in 2020. Take that as confirmation that Renault have no intention of retesting the car. Retesting on it's 5 star rating of 2012. pretty lazy l, and very disingenuous of them.

So basically the new VW e-Up is a 3 star because it lacks certain autonomous safety features even though the 2014 one was 5 stars. But Renault are dingying getting a low ncap by not retesting. ?‍♂

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I downloaded the UK brochure in mid-December before we ordered ours an AEBS isn't mentioned..

·
Registered
177 Posts
Not having AEB would make sense as there no radar fitted.

EBS just augments the braking when it senses an emergency stop.
Do they really need radar though? Some cars like the BMW i3 use the camera for their emergency braking system instead of radar so Renault could always activate it using an OTA update later in the year if that's what they are planning to do I suppose?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All these comments are addressed in the original post ...

So this is worth checking with Renault to check if AEB is in the UK spec or not. Maybe one for Badger in Black to comment on?
Doesn't affect the ncap rating? Except it absolutely does as that's necessary to get a 5 star in 2020.
so Renault could always activate it using an OTA update later in the year if that's what they are planning to do I suppose?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,729 Posts
Do they really need radar though? Some cars like the BMW i3 use the camera for their emergency braking system instead of radar so Renault could always activate it using an OTA update later in the year if that's what they are planning to do I suppose?
If they use a camera system then they need two cameras and some quite complex software.

It could be the case that they could use the ultrasound sensors, but these aren’t really long range and therefore only good for low speed work.

1 - 20 of 178 Posts