Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having been an EV driver for a few years now, and finally dropping the second ICE for a longer range EV, it occurs to me that the ‘where will people charge and how’ question is pretty much answered by ‘slow charge where you sleep, fast charge to top up’.

As such, it’s the rollout of rapids that should, in my view, be the key concern to the community but there is no clear information about network growth - great info here and elsewhere but it’s largely ‘I spotted’ or a few planning application trawls.

Shouldn't there be a more centralised repository for ‘coming soon’ which is fed by the networks or the government? It feels like the ongoing growth of the network will be key in reassuring new drivers to ditch the ICE as well as us existing ones to use EVs above ICEs.

Unless I’ve missed one?

·
Super Moderator
12,227 Posts

Did you miss the GridServe annoucements ? --> Ecotricity and GRIDSERVE announce new partnership to power up the Electric Highway | GRIDSERVE
The transformation work has two elements – already underway. Firstly, all existing chargers will be replaced with new technology, doubling the capacity – offering all three connection types (CCS, CHAdeMO, and AC) and contactless payment. Secondly – a further 6 to 12 pumps of the all-new 350kW high power standard will be installed.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks andrew*debbie, I do manage to spot most ‘announcements’ but I was more thinking that there should be something central rather than relying on press releases - a proper data source with postcodes and planned gates, rather than ‘we’d like to do six across the UK’.

I guess there would be a commercial element to not releasing data early but still.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
3,110 Posts
Thanks andrew*debbie, I do manage to spot most ‘announcements’ but I was more thinking that there should be something central rather than relying on press releases - a proper data source with postcodes and planned gates, rather than ‘we’d like to do six across the UK’.

I guess there would be a commercial element to not releasing data early but still.
This is the free market in operation, unfortunately!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Probably because all the big installs take many months from planning to actually going live.
They have to sort out grid supplies, which probably means dedicated substations,
they need to have applied for council planning permission (in the UK)
They need to have arranged appropriate land usage or tenancy contracts with site owners.

Example: M4 Reading Westbound services. BP Pulse have had 4x150kW chargepoints installed on site since approx September 2020, on an existing BP branded site, but it is still not live as of April 2021. It doesn't show on their own online maps. I guess that it's taking a lot more time than they expected to bring a suitable grid connection to site.

Also on that site : Ecotricity and Tesla planning application via Moto Hospitality dated 20 June 2020 to install 10 more Ecotricity charge bays and 12 Tesla charge bays. Still no sign of them.
Clearly, that's a substation build and grid connection needed. That takes a long time to get done.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Totally agree with all that’s being said about time to compete etc but there’s an example here in the super fast broadband rollouts - they clearly phase cabinets as no plans, exploring, commissioning, coming soon, ready etc.

The flack councils and BT have got during the broadband rollout shows how important messaging to customers is during any infrastructure or technology deployment

·
Registered
470 Posts
Totally agree with all that’s being said about time to compete etc but there’s an example here in the super fast broadband rollouts - they clearly phase cabinets as no plans, exploring, commissioning, coming soon, ready etc.

The flack councils and BT have got during the broadband rollout shows how important messaging to customers is during any infrastructure or technology deployment
I feel that 'newly available' is far more useful than a vague promise of coming 'soon'.
There is the Government's National Chargepoint Registry data available, which does feature dates that charge devices supposedly entered service, but not all operators have been very good at keeping their records up to date on there, because there's no legal requirement, unless taxpayer money was used to fund the installs.
And Openchargemap has data available.
Zap-Map, Plugshare, or Google Maps don't make the underlying data available.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Life Pro Performance, MY22 (software v2.3)
251 Posts
I feel that 'newly available' is far more useful than a vague promise of coming 'soon'.
There is the Government's National Chargepoint Registry data available, which does feature dates that charge devices supposedly entered service, but not all operators have been very good at keeping their records up to date on there, because there's no legal requirement, unless taxpayer money was used to fund the installs.
And Openchargemap has data available.
Zap-Map, Plugshare, or Google Maps don't make the underlying data available.
Sounds like a development suggestion for ZapMap - add a filter to show only (EDIT: or highlight) charge points added within say the last month, or three months. If they already have a time stamp on their records I’d imagine it would be nearly trivial; if not there’s obviously more work involved.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,691 Posts
Having been an EV driver for a few years now, and finally dropping the second ICE for a longer range EV, it occurs to me that the ‘where will people charge and how’ question is pretty much answered by ‘slow charge where you sleep, fast charge to top up’.

As such, it’s the rollout of rapids that should, in my view, be the key concern to the community but there is no clear information about network growth - great info here and elsewhere but it’s largely ‘I spotted’ or a few planning application trawls.

Shouldn't there be a more centralised repository for ‘coming soon’ which is fed by the networks or the government? It feels like the ongoing growth of the network will be key in reassuring new drivers to ditch the ICE as well as us existing ones to use EVs above ICEs.

Unless I’ve missed one?
I though OZEV was supposed to be in charge, much like Charge Place Scotland?

·
Super Moderator
12,227 Posts
I though OZEV was supposed to be in charge, much like Charge Place Scotland?
They are not in charge of privately funded chargers. Several large networks are not funded by the Westminster govt. Gridserve/Ecotricty are one.

Then there is public-private funding. For example Zouk is the largest shareholder in Instavolt and Zouk recieved £400million in govt. funding.

It is all a bit dodgey, TBH. Zouk stands to make a substantial profit on Instavolt. The money to Instavolt went out without a tender or a grant processs.

Instavolt are providing a good service, so perhaps we should not complain. Still I am concerned about governanace and proper use of taxpayer money.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4,266 Posts

It's unofficial, but WattsUp post a monthly list of new rapids. Latest at New UK rapid chargers March 2021
(BTW - Their twitter is a useful follow as they tend to re-tweet announcements from the various networks. The app can also now filter for multi-charger sites and available chargers!)

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,691 Posts
They are not in charge of privately funded chargers. Several large networks are not funded by the Westminster govt. Gridserve/Ecotricty are one.

Then there is public-private funding. For example Zouk is the largest shareholder in Instavolt and Zouk recieved £400million in govt. funding.

It is all a bit dodgey, TBH. Zouk stands to make a substantial profit on Instavolt. The money to Instavolt went out without a tender or a grant processs.

Instavolt are providing a good service, so perhaps we should not complain. Still I am concerned about governanace and proper use of taxpayer money.

Well it's time OZEV were made responsible for managing or at least overseeing the public charging network.

Nor does CPS manage all charging in Scotland. Some of the networks have not joined up: the last time I checked, Osprey chargers weren't shown.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts