Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I live in a mid terrace house with parking restrictions, I don’t want to move, but home charging is not going to be realistic for me. I travel 60 miles a day Mon to Fri, and have a regular visit to a family member fortnightly (on a Friday evening after work) which is about 180 miles round trip. Added to that, my budget to purchase will be about £10k and I’m not willing or able to have a PCP/loan agreement.

My research suggests that there is no suitable EV out there that is both within my budget, and capable of the kind of distances that I need to be able to do without adding hours onto my journey time.

Am I right in this, or have I missed something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,963 Posts
Have you considered the monthly rental options of something like ONTO where you can have an EV without the upfront cost? That way you'll make a significant fuel cost saving compared to an ICE.

But it doesn't get around the charging issue unless you have a convenient charge point near to your home.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,533 Posts
Unfortunately the job involves driving, so no, am mobile.

If your job involves driving, do you get reimbursed for fuel costs? ONTO could be a good idea as a way of finding out if going EV would work for you, before making any long term commitment. They have Zoe ZE50s at a reasonable price with 200 mile ranges. You would need to clarify if you use your vehicle for work that you would be covered by their fleet insurance which is included. You get free charging with a BP Pulse, Shell Card and InstaVolt is about to be added. What town/city do you live in, and I’ll see what the charging infrastructure is like there. I have no home charging either, and have had an EV from ONTO for over two years without any major issues.

Reactions: booms and dk6780

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you considered the monthly rental options of something like ONTO where you can have an EV without the upfront cost? That way you'll make a significant fuel cost saving compared to an ICE.

But it doesn't get around the charging issue unless you have a convenient charge point near to your home.
Hi,

I was unaware of ONTO, so thanks for mentioning them, but they seem just out of my price range, and as you point out the charging issue still exists.

Would a second hand i3 Rex be the best solution longer-term? (I know they’re not within my budget now, but as the newer models come out, they’re only going to depreciate).

I can’t see a pure electric car with a realistic range of 250 miles plus being within my price range in the next five/ten years.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,963 Posts
I can’t see a pure electric car with a realistic range of 250 miles plus being within my price range in the next five/ten years.
They probably will be in five years but aren't now. For your usage scenario without home charging and limited budget the market is not there yet. But don't forget to factor in the fuel and servicing cost savings of an EV compared to an ICE - your 25,000 miles a year habit must be costing you at least £3,000 pA ignoring depreciation. The monthly cost of a Zoe from ONTO looks good value in comparison but the limit of 1,000 miles is a killer.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq Electric Premium SE 2018 Black
127 Posts
I live in a mid-terraced house, I had off street parking for a few months until I turned my front garden into a drive way, all DIY. No drop down kerb* yet, but I can charge at home.

* No one parks on my side of the street thankfully, opposite me they also converted to have a drive way. The rest of the street park on the other side anyway, emergency services required they all park on one side only and thankfully it was opposite my side.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,184 Posts
If your job involves driving, do you get reimbursed for fuel costs? ONTO could be a good idea as a way of finding out if going EV would work for you, before making any long term commitment. They have Zoe ZE50s at a reasonable price with 200 mile ranges. You would need to clarify if you use your vehicle for work that you would be covered by their fleet insurance which is included. You get free charging with a BP Pulse, Shell Card and InstaVolt is about to be added. What town/city do you live in, and I’ll see what the charging infrastructure is like there. I have no home charging either, and have had an EV from ONTO for over two years without any major issues.
They added Instavolt today:-

·
Registered
92 Posts
When you say you are mid terraced, but are obviously keen to get into EV ownership (and who would blame you once you've driven one), I used to live in a mid-terraced house, and had this pathway to deal with for charging via a decent extension lead and a granny charger (with precautions). After lots of head scratching at the council offices, we determined that it is not illegal to charge the car across the pavement, but there is a strong element of liability for injury if you have not made suitable arrangements for safety. I sued to use a thick rubber mat that laid flush to the pavement and would not move in high winds.

My neighbor also made me up a little stand that would take the cable out of a 1st floor window and down to the back of the car, where the extension socket and granny block would sit up in a wheel arch or the boot for rain/water avoidance.

I lived like that for 2 years. The only problem was getting that space as my elderly neighbors used to love parking there and not in front of their garage, and then proceed not to use the car until the next monthly shop.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,058 Posts
I've seen cables run through the drainage channels in some pavements too. No trip hazard at all.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Might be worth checking your area on zap-map and co-charger to see whether there may be someone whose charger you could use nearby:

I make it work without a home charger, but can charge at work.

·
Registered
465 Posts
My 30Kwh 16 plate leaf cost £10k and will do a hundred miles. If you could charge it on a granny charger during your 180 mile round trip stop it would do it but it takes 7 - 8 hours to fully recharge on the granny cable.

You could also plan your route and get a quick charge on the longer journey as well.

You won't get an EV currently with 180 mile range on a single charge for £10k currently. Years off that happening.

A friend living in a terrace does charge his car on the road. He has a rubber safety conduit he runs the cable through and, lighted cones etc. Its at least as safe as normal roadwork safety probably safer. He charges at night when little or no foot traffic as well.

He has an external socket at the front of his house and uses a granny charger cable. Loads of people round here seem to do this.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,172 Posts
There are many people in similar positions. My advice is stick to ICE until workplace charging or another solution becomes easily available and at cost no greater than running an ICE.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for your responses. I will stick with ICE for the time being. The road layout here means trailing cables out of windows is not an option (would have to cross the road, and there’s no fixed parking spot). The reality of needing to stop for a few hours on what is already a long night every other Friday, makes the idea of going EV unpalatable.

I will keep an eye on developments, but realistically for my particular use case, it seems that I’d need a huge increase in range (making the car cost and weigh more) or a huge improvement in charging times (which I understand runs the risk of damaging the battery over repeated charging cycles)

I don’t doubt that human ingenuity will find a way, but it’s clear that these Gen 1 vehicles do tend to rely on having home or work charging access, or being used for lower mileages. Thank you all for your advice and suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
11,781 Posts
Thank you all for your responses. I will stick with ICE for the time being
That is a good idea -- Maybe find a fuel efficent ICE, especially since you drive so much. BEVs are best in situations where they can charge up overnight. Work place charging is an option but not as sustainable.

As much as I can, I talk about the importance of on-street charging. This is coming but far to slowly. It pains me to see new build homes with no provision for charging.

If you could charge at home, you would save you well over £100 a month on fuel. Long term it may be worth looking into moving somewhere you can charge a car overnight.

I've been driving an electric car since 2014. Prices come down every year. Range goes up every year.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Thank you all for your responses. I will stick with ICE for the time being. The road layout here means trailing cables out of windows is not an option (would have to cross the road, and there’s no fixed parking spot). The reality of needing to stop for a few hours on what is already a long night every other Friday, makes the idea of going EV unpalatable.

I will keep an eye on developments, but realistically for my particular use case, it seems that I’d need a huge increase in range (making the car cost and weigh more) or a huge improvement in charging times (which I understand runs the risk of damaging the battery over repeated charging cycles)

I don’t doubt that human ingenuity will find a way, but it’s clear that these Gen 1 vehicles do tend to rely on having home or work charging access, or being used for lower mileages. Thank you all for your advice and suggestions.

Mostly true, but workplace charging would solve a lot of these problems. Where's the government funding for that?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,184 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The £350 chargepoint grant does apply to workplaces, for up to 40x 3.5-22kW "sockets" (ie 40 single chargers or 20 dual-head ones).
Thank you for the link. The NHS should be leading with regard to cutting hazardous emissions in and around health care premises so maybe a bigger incentive is needed for them. Our local NHS Trust operates a staff shuttle from the local Park and Ride, so chargers there would also help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts