Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tesco are soon to start charging £5 to park/charge your car for 3 hours in Lichfield, but you can get it back when you shop instore. Your pass will need to be activated by new machine, if this is not done you will be automatically fined.. I believe this will be done by ANPR from some new cameras to be installed So keep a lookout for the changes....

·
Registered
368 Posts
Tesco are soon to start charging £5 to park/charge your car for 3 hours in Lichfield, but you can get it back when you shop instore. Your pass will need to be activated by new machine, if this is not done you will be automatically fined.. I believe this will be done by ANPR from some new cameras to be installed So keep a lookout for the changes....
Excellent. Fed up seeing people gloat about charging for long periods of time at Tesco when they’ve no intention of shopping there.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe (ZE40) Q90
1,479 Posts
Most are free but some stores with limited spaces and have this restriction
to stop people using the car park as a park & ride.
The charging is still free , You are paying for the parking but if you spend over £5 at Tesco the parking is free too

Tesco Extra
5 St Stephens Centre,
Park Street, Hull, HU2 8LN

Parking for up to 30 minutes is Free
For up to 2 Hours you need to spend at least £5.00 in Tesco
.”

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am sorry, but that is complete profiteering, if we are talking about the free PodPoint chargers provided by VW!
Most are free but some stores with limited spaces and have this restriction
to stop people using the car park as a park & ride.
The charging is still free , You are paying for the parking but if you spend over £5 at Tesco the parking is free too

Tesco Extra
5 St Stephens Centre,
Park Street, Hull, HU2 8LN

Parking for up to 30 minutes is Free
For up to 2 Hours you need to spend at least £5.00 in Tesco
.”
Yes its the same in Lichfield but its three hours.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
842 Posts
It's quite usual for Supermarkets with car parks in "attractive" locations to have a refundable parking charge isn't it?
I think it's a great solution. I don't begrudge spending a fiver in the supermarket nearly as much as I begrudge paying 30p for parking!

Good low-tech solution to prevent charger hogging, too. Overstay charges are fine on a rapid, when you already have the driver's card details, but messy to administer on free chargers.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4,110 Posts
It's quite usual for Supermarkets with car parks in "attractive" locations to have a refundable parking charge isn't it?
I know the Sainsburys near Brighton Station does. (or at least did, it's been months since I went to the office in Brighton)
The Tesco on Chester's Frodsham Street does too, but has no charging posts (yet).

·
Registered
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Design 2.4
84 Posts
I could never understand why Tesco charging point were free, I am surprised other supermarket have not followed suit.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I could never understand why Tesco charging point were free, I am surprised other supermarket have not followed suit.
I'm sure I've charged at a Sainsburys without having to pay. Not recently I'm afraid so can't claim it's universal.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I use this store/ charger... to date always spent in Tesco when charging , although admit to parking there on other occasions ( not charging) to walk around the town. Seems fair to me, just hope the system of refund is seamless

·
Registered
Kona64
1,865 Posts
I'm sure I've charged at a Sainsburys without having to pay. Not recently I'm afraid so can't claim it's universal.
Sainsbury Waterlooville Hampshire
CarPark has 3hr time limit but no charge. 4 Pod-Point freebie 6kw sockets, only 2 work last 3 months.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The £5 minimum spend to park. Up to 3 hours ( charging still free, but of course you need to park to charge) .. starts at this store 6th Sept.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts