Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm in Ireland expecting to take delivery of an eNiro in a few weeks. The dealer has told myself and a number of other eNiro customers that Kia won't be supplying a granny cable with the car because there's been problems with the units and/or plugs melting. They've said Nissan, Hyundai and other dealers are also considering withdrawing them.

Just wondering if anyone in the UK has heard of or experienced something similar?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You'd think that'd be a reasonable response but the Kia Ireland response is No :(

Here's the eNiro thread from what I think is the largest EV forum in Ireland, and where someone has asked that of Kia Ireland via Twitter:
Kia Niro EV

"...there's no adjustment in the price of the car as the 3 pin cable is an accessory and is not typically included as standard in the sale of an EV vehicle. An EV comes with the on-street charging cable as standard."

I can't imagine the electricity grid and the variety of wiring in houses is very different between Ireland and the UK, hence the question!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've used one with my Leaf. Basically its like boiling a kettle for 10 hours so if you do have dodgy wiring you can melt plugs etc. Also if you use it with an extension lead (you're not supposed to) and the lead is low quality (or if you leave some of it coiled up) you can have heating/melting problems. So yes they are a bit dangerous if used with substandard wiring. I think when I bought the Leaf I had to sign a disclaimer saying I'd only use the 13amp charger in emergencies or something.

When using it for the first time with any given plug I would be quite cautious and check the socket for heating etc. Then only when I had used it a few times and was confident it wouldn't overheat would I be comfortable leaving it overnight.

In summary: They've got a point, they are slightly more dangerous than your average consumer item.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'd be well hacked off if it wasn't included as my one was. It's really handy when you stay at a friends or anywhere where a faster charger is not available.
The Granny unit can be set to 10Amp as well as 8Amp (I think) but in any case it shouldn't even start to melt plugs at 10 Amps i.e. 2.4KW on 240Volt. A 3KW kettle draws 12.5Amps on a 240Volt supply and any ring main should be rated in order to take that.

Like phproxy said, just another way to boos profit

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'll be trading in my Ioniq against the e Niro. They will have to pry the granny charger out of my cold dead hands.

Anyway, it's a dangerous item according to them, why would they want it? :LOL:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts