Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are now a 2 EV family - a Leaf24 and now a nearly new ID4. The ID4 did not come with a 3pin charging cable and we’re toying over whether we need to buy one.

The leaf came with a 3pin but no Type2-Type1 so we had to buy one of those. Apart from a few early chargers before the wall charger, we’ve never used it but it sits in the boot in case of emergency.

Buying a granny charger for the ID4 seems like a waste but at the back of my mind is the possibility of needing to charge from a plain old socket (including perhaps convenience if away at a friends/holiday home). Am I being too pessimistic? With the big battery I should be able to manage right?

If I did buy one I was thinking about the 3 pin Ohme on the £199 deal - are there any advantages that I’d get in the rare occasions we’d use it?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,159 Posts
It's only worthwhile if you plan on visiting people such as a "granny" who are so far away that you need to recharge and who doesn't have a charge point but will let you charge from a suitable outside plug. Given the range of the ID.4 and the risk of other people having suitable wiring I'd say no
But an alternative would be to buy an Ohme lead on a Commando plug and get them to de-rate it to 10A. You could them buy a short flylead to convert from 3 pin to Commando.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

But an alternative would be to buy an Ohme lead on a Commando plug and get them to de-rate it to 10A. You could them buy a short flylead to convert from 3 pin to Commando.
What would be the advantage of that over a 3 pin if I also have a home charger? In case I’m at a caravan site?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
What's your Plan B if the wall-mounted EVSE a home breaks? Not unknown. If you have a load of free Podpoints at a shop nearby, or a Rapid at back of local pub, fine. Otherwise you might consider a "granny" backup just-in-case. You can get a cheap one from screwfix, which offers 10A only afaik, but you can set the ID.4 to low-charging rate which will limit itself to 6A rate, this is a good thing to do to avoid any risk of toasting someone else's 13A socket you're borrowing.

Or you can get something more versatile, e.g. see evconnectors.com where they have UK 13A or Commando-plug swappable "granny" EVSE that can be set to 6/8/10/13/16A. I have one of these, I bought just the 13A plug one as I don't go camping. After 3-4 years heavy use I strongly suggest you get it stripped, and all the high-current solder joints reflowed. This will increase the lifespan of it very greatly! And if it starts to wear out the relays used as contactors, these can be changed for new ones without too much bother, again increasing the lifespan hugely. You'll know the relays are going when it starts to trip due to internal overheating. Nicely made piece of kit, providing it's regularly serviced as I've described.

You could get a commando socket fitted at home and this would then charge EV at 16A happily, change to the 13A plug for your travels to granny. Sounds a bit like the Ohme mentioned above, but I have zero knowledge of those.

·
Registered
ID.4 & ID.3
169 Posts
We are now a 2 EV family - a Leaf24 and now a nearly new ID4. The ID4 did not come with a 3pin charging cable and we’re toying over whether we need to buy one.

The leaf came with a 3pin but no Type2-Type1 so we had to buy one of those. Apart from a few early chargers before the wall charger, we’ve never used it but it sits in the boot in case of emergency.

Buying a granny charger for the ID4 seems like a waste but at the back of my mind is the possibility of needing to charge from a plain old socket (including perhaps convenience if away at a friends/holiday home). Am I being too pessimistic? With the big battery I should be able to manage right?

If I did buy one I was thinking about the 3 pin Ohme on the £199 deal - are there any advantages that I’d get in the rare occasions we’d use it?
If you are interested in a granny charging cable I have one for sale in the Members Classifieds section. It‘s the one that VW sells with their ID3 and ID4.

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
365 Posts
You know I had this exact conversation the other morning! I drove my ID.4 up to Scotland over the weekend and was told the hotel had an EV chargepoint they would reserve for me. When I arrived (admittedly rather late on Friday night) with 15% battery I saw another ID.4 plugged into the 7 kW type 2 chargepoint... Fortunately I had my granny cable on me, and the chargepoint was one of those PodPoints with a type 2 and a 3-pin, so I just plugged into the 3-pin and got my family inside the hotel. The next morning I popped out and the owners of the other ID.4 were there - they were brand-new to EVs and didn't even know granny charging was possible, but they asked me all sorts of questions about mine and ended up buying one right on the spot!

I can't say that the granny charger has ever been 100% absolutely necessary for me (there were rapid chargers not too far from the hotel, but since we arrived at almost midnight it was much more convenient to just park and plug in there), but I will say I have been very glad of having the granny cable on multiple occasions. For another example, two weeks ago we did a long weekend in a lovely cottage in the Yorkshire Dales. The nearest public chargepoint was a 7 kW in the Aysgarth Falls car park maybe 15 minutes away, but I had messaged the cottage owner beforehand and he had no problem with us plugging into the socket in the garage. I did set my ID.4 to the "reduced AC charge" setting as I didn't know the socket, but I plugged in every night after doing our daily excursions and I really appreciated waking up with the extra range. Now the ID.4 has a big battery and I could have done that whole trip just using rapid charges on the way up/down (maybe stopping at the instavolt on our way back from the lake district), but having the granny cable in the car certainly made any range anxiety an absolute non-issue.

All that being said, I already had a 10m granny cable, since that was my only method of charging my Zoe before buying the ID.4 (and subsequently having a Zappi installed). So I didn't have to buy one "just in case". Though I probably would have anyway, because you never know when something crazy will happen and your only method of charging will be to knock on someone's door and ask to plug into an external 3-pin...

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
659 Posts
Only you know how much use you'll get out of it, but I wouldn't be without mine.

I take it when I'm staying with friends, and when camping. Often I do a rapid charge to 50 or 60% on the way in, and leave it on the granny to get to 100.

Usually I could survive without it, but getting to 100% is a nice bonus.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts