Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just got my Zoe back after 53 days in the workshop fixing a "won't charge" problem. They had to remove the motor and replace the PEC module. This included taking out the gas and regassing (allegedly). Now there is no heating or cooling. I've tried the hairdryer tricks. I've tried heating and cooling internal/external sensors and various heater/aircon settings. Basically, nil heating or cooling. Ditto with pre condition while charging. Only internal fans run with no heating or cooling.

CanZE shows no compressor power. Also, with realtime power display on the dash, it sticks at zero whereas with the heat pump running, it used to show 1-2 kW. There seem to be no DTCs on the CLIM module.

Attached is one of the CanZE dumps. Interestingly, the refrigerant pressure is not displayed. I would have expected to see a number there rather than undefined. Perhaps Yo-There could comment?

Any observations?

It's back to the mechanics on Monday.

Maybe all the refrigerant leaked out after regassing or maybe there is a HV fuse or electronics failure? Clearly they stuffed up something putting things back together again.

Regds,
Dave

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,199 Posts
They've stuffed it up! Or it wasn't charging to begin with due to the AC failing and they haven't considered that :oops:

Hope they're lending you a decent loan car if nothing else!

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Sorry to hear that you have a problem that has gone on for so long. I guess that service is only going to get worse now that Renault have stopped selling the Zoë. :mad:
My guess is that one of the fuses has blown but I can't believe that they didn't check it.
@yoh-there is your best hope for remote diagnosis, or @Toomba

·
Registered
636 Posts
Sorry to hear that you have a problem that has gone on for so long. I guess that service is only going to get worse now that Renault have stopped selling the Zoë. :mad:
My guess is that one of the fuses has blown but I can't believe that they didn't check it.
@yoh-there is your best hope for remote diagnosis, or @Toomba
Where have they stopped selling the Zoe?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Renault has stopped selling Zoe in Australia. The ZE50 was coming this year, but no more.

Heat pump was working when charging was not, so it was not the original cause.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My humble opinion is:

If you swap motor and PEC (I assume this is the inverter), you don't touch at all any A/C systems.

Download pyclip app for android and ddt4all for windows/linux. Dor ddt4all you need a ECU database.

You need a legit ELM327 bluetooth and usb dongle (pic chip).

Scan the car, and let us know the results.

I can offer some assistance remotely for the ddt4all stuff. From pyclip I'll need the screenshots.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
All of tge above is valid for pre 2015 Zoe. What MY is yours?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out.
Mine is 2017 ZE40.
Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out.
Mine is 2017 ZE40.
Cheers,
Dave
Thinking a bit more about your problem with charging, I can't find any reasoning behind swaping both the PEC and the motor. It's either one or the other. I hardly believe both of them failed at the same time. 2017MY had air cooled motors, those basically never cause a charging issue.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Toomba, there was nothing wrong with the motor. I am assuming from what they said that they needed to remove the motor to swap the PEC. Swapping the PEC apparently took 21.5hrs of labour.

I've installed pyclip180 and it is indeed very useful.

I've run most of the climate tests which appear okay. There are no climate DTCs. I am interested in the refrigerant pressure which is 51.1bar. I've done some work previously with aircon systems and I would expect the "at rest" pressure to be more like 2 or 3 bar. 51bar sounds like a running pressure on the high side of the system. However, the system is definitely not running. pyclip confirms the compressor is off no matter what I do. As with CanZE, all sensor temperatures are good.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The part they replaced is R296056406R. The DTCs originally were:

DTC 064063 (Electric Grid)
DTC 06641E (Capacity Module)

according to the dealer.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Check with ddt4all the EVC settings for climate. Sometimes I see cars that were configured as with no A/C system. One can check there.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Swapping the PEC apparently took 21.5hrs of labour.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
I hope that was under warranty and that you weren't paying.
I am interested in the refrigerant pressure which is 51.1bar.
That's crazy and possibly high enough to cause the system to shut down.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Where have they stopped selling the Zoe?
Renault has stopped selling Zoe in Australia. The ZE50 was coming this year, but no more.
For all of their reputation the average Aussie doesn't give a fig for the environment. With "only" 300km range and no tax incentives (other than no fuel penalty) EVs don't sell. Meanwhile the Aussies continue to mine for coal as if the global warming that is severely impacting on them doesn't exist.

2021 Renault Zoe: Plug pulled on French electric car | CarAdvice
2021 Renault Zoe: Plug pulled on French electric car | CarAdvice

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Either the pressure sensor on the heat pump circuit is defective or they grossly overfilled it or pyclip is wrong. I agree the 51.1 is insane.

I can assure you that a lot of "average Aussies" do care a hell of a lot. We have an unbelievably bad govt. which is totally in bed with the fossil fuel industry. They do a good job of rubbishing EVs. That said, it is true that a majority of voters voted them into power mainly because of scare campaigns at election time. It is very frustrating. At the moment they are talking about charging people with rooftop solar to feed into the grid, to provide an extra road tax on EVs, to destroy more of the environment with fracking under the guise of "Covid recovery" and so it goes on.
Dave

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I can assure you that a lot of "average Aussies" do care a hell of a lot.
Apologies for the cheap shot. :confused:

The current models of Government in both our country's are demonstrably not working. :devilish:

I'm still surprised at the lack of EV sales, particularly in comparison to NZ.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There were about 60 sales in 2018. They are all 2017 models. Then only about 3 last year. Renault did a fairly poor job promoting the car here, particularly last year. Also, I think quite a few people liked the specs of the 2020 135 model and were waiting for it. Now it won't be coming.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay. They have fixed my heating, cooling and also the inverter fan was not coming on when supposed to. Renault found a TSB specifying a very exact order for reconfiguration of modules in the car when the PEC is replaced. They followed this and now things work again.

Networking is still broken and given that hardware and software resets (both by the dealer and myself) won't wake it up, they are installing a new TCU. Can't think why it failed but maybe the car sitting unused in the workshop for 53days had something to do with it.

Anyway, seems the saga might soon be over. I shudder to think of a scenario like this happening outside of warranty. Cost to Renault from the dealer is over A$10,000 so far.

Regds,
Dave

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,199 Posts
TCU failure isn't unusual either.

Is the warranty extension possible in Aus? If so, I'd do it if you are going to keep the car!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts