Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am looking to buy a 2013 leaf 24KWh second gen model.
Im told by owner the battery in good health, the report shows 12 bars

I am going sunday to collect car and dont have a leaf spy.
Can anyone tell me from the report attached and the pic of dash, do you think the battery looks ok ?

thanks
Alex

Attachments

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Whereabouts are you? If buy / borrow OBD2 adapter from amazon and download LeafSpy lite.

The report is next to useless.

12bars could imply anything upto 85 SoH how've for a 2013 car having 50k on clock I'm a bit skeptical.

What is your expected usage?

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whereabouts are you? If buy / borrow OBD2 adapter from amazon and download LeafSpy lite.

The report is next to useless.

12bars could imply anything upto 85 SoH how've for a 2013 car having 50k on clock I'm a bit skeptical.

What is your expected usage?

- Leaf 30 kWh
What do you mean skeptical? would you expect to see only 11 bars ?
how could this be showing incorrect?
he did say they only charge upto 80%

expected usage? i am planning to do 43mile trip to work and charge at work then return most days.

unfortunately i dont have chance to order OBD2, i am going to see it sunday

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
What do you mean skeptical? would you expect to see only 11 bars ?
how could this be showing incorrect?
he did say they only charge upto 80%

unfortunately i am going to see it sunday
Leaf batteries tend to suffer from aging more than anything. The only thing I can tell from repeat is that the car was persistently stored in fully charged state. That isn't good for the batteries either but 12 bars indicate min 85 health.

It will do 60 miles journey in summer and 50 in winter. If they meets your requirements then its good

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
12bars could imply anything upto 85 SoH
No, 12 bars would be over 85%. I'm sure there must be other 2013 Leafs with 12 bars still.
Any service history with the car? Dealer or private purchase? If dealer can you contact the previous owner.
Maybe someone near you has an OBD2 dongle and Leaf Spy and could help you check it (that might require you saying where you are of course!)

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
No, 12 bars would be over 85%. I'm sure there must be other 2013 Leafs with 12 bars still.
Any service history with the car? Dealer or private purchase? If dealer can you contact the previous owner.
Maybe someone near you has an OBD2 dongle and Leaf Spy and could help you check it (that might require you saying where you are of course!)
Right min 85%

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes full Nissan service history
Private purchase
I am between Bridgnorth and Wolverhampton WV15 5PH

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Maybe just time to start a thread asking for help from Leaf Spy users in the Wolverhampton area. (I would but I'm a long way away.)

·
Registered
175 Posts
You haven't told us how much they are asking? No way would I buy it without accessing it via leafspy, no matter how urgent it is, or that I may risk losing the car to another buyer. There are plenty more out there, and a slew waiting to come on the market as existing owners upgrade. Act in haste... etc. I'm not 100% sure but I think there is a way for an owner to 'reset' the GOM. Any genuine seller would be happy to wait.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi All,

I am looking to buy a 2013 leaf 24KWh second gen model.
Im told by owner the battery in good health, the report shows 12 bars

I am going sunday to collect car and dont have a leaf spy.
Can anyone tell me from the report attached and the pic of dash, do you think the battery looks ok ?

thanks
Alex
Hi Alex, Please PM me I live near to you,Rogerdee

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi,
I didn’t bother going, tbh the comments on here put me off 🤦‍♂️
Lol but I do appreciate all your comments.
A local chap told me they 12 bars can be fixed in some way so unless I test battery with a leaf spy I have no way to know how good the battery is.
The car is on eBay auction finishes tomorrow

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Hi,
I didn’t bother going, tbh the comments on here put me off
Lol but I do appreciate all your comments.
A local chap told me they 12 bars can be fixed in some way so unless I test battery with a leaf spy I have no way to know how good the battery is.
Ouch.. Sorry we are a cynical bunch here.
Leaf is a good car. I purchased a used Leaf30 without any foresight regarding battery though it was very low mileage.

A good OBD2 adapter will be handy with any modern car

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
175 Posts
A local chap told me they 12 bars can be fixed in some way
Theres another car on eBay with 11 bars that has done 165k miles. I looked at a car with 7 bars that had done 60k miles. The OBD2 adapter I had wouldn't work with leaf spy so I had no way to check the battery, so I passed on that one.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Just for clarity (above comments seem to induce in error) each bar on the Leaf indicates roundabout 8.33% (100/12) being 11 bars anything above 91.6%, 10 bars 83.33% and so one.
I'm still trying to figure out how the SoH really works and how is affected.
My car is now over 92,000km (57,200miles) with a SoH varying between 93.36% and 93.70%.
I've been trying several charging methods, from mainly rapid charge (up to 50kw) to mainly slow charge (3kw) but I can't relate how I charge to the SoH.
Having said that, it is apparent a relation between the SoH and speed you drive at but this is not confirmed.
So I won't be surprised if a car with 100k plus will have a battery in better condition than a similar model with less mileage but in worse SoH.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just for clarity (above comments seem to induce in error) each bar on the Leaf indicates roundabout 8.33% (100/12) being 11 bars anything above 91.6%, 10 bars 83.33% and so one.
I'm still trying to figure out how the SoH really works and how is affected.
My car is now over 92,000km (57,200miles) with a SoH varying between 93.36% and 93.70%.
I've been trying several charging methods, from mainly rapid charge (up to 50kw) to mainly slow charge (3kw) but I can't relate how I charge to the SoH.
Having said that, it is apparent a relation between the SoH and speed you drive at but this is not confirmed.
So I won't be surprised if a car with 100k plus will have a battery in better condition than a similar model with less mileage but in worse SoH.
Several different threads have stated that 12 bars lasts until 85%. I don't think it's as simple as 100 / 12.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Something everyone seems to overlook when talking batteries is individual cell errors, having firsthand experience of such a fault I can assure you this will stuff your range completely, even with a battery showing 12 bars great state of health etc.
From my point of view I would never ever buy a used or indeed a new leaf without putting lspy on it too check the battery condition.
Having said that once the bad cell was diagnosed Nissan did a great job on getting it replaced, 1 week turnaround.
It is now like driving a different car with a range of approx 90 on gom i am confident of doing 70 ish (if i dont use heating lights wipers aircon etc) 😁

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
9 Participants
Layzee
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing