Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sitting here waiting for my Leaf to be MOTd, I thought I'd look at the UK government web site about MOT tests. (italics are my emphasis)

Exempt vehicles
Other vehicles that don’t need an MOT include:

• cars and motorcycles made before 1960
  • goods vehicles powered by electricity
  • tractors
So, would an env200 van need one, or are they talking about bigger vehicles like a Smith Edison?

·
Registered
187 Posts
An electric commercial vehicle has to be registered as 'J type vehicle N1' on the V5C. Pretty much the only things MOT exempt (electric or otherwise) are milk floats, tractors, recovery vehicles and some road registered council sweepers/mowers. OH and some very early MK1 landrovers were registered as agricultural vehicles.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Result for Garry TheBiz! Would it be ex-council or park fleet etc? I would however suggest getting an MOT check done for safety (maybe once every five year ;).)

·
Registered
534 Posts
An electric commercial vehicle has to be registered as 'J type vehicle N1' on the V5C. Pretty much the only things MOT exempt (electric or otherwise) are milk floats, tractors, recovery vehicles and some road registered council sweepers/mowers. OH and some very early MK1 landrovers were registered as agricultural vehicles.
Any vehicle registered before 1960 is exempt - so that's quite a lot of LandRovers!

I don't quite understand the logic here - you would think that old cars should be checked, even if certain things don't apply - but to exempt them completely???

·
Registered
648 Posts
I heard they were having trouble finding mot testers who knew what they were looking at on old vehicles, not many old timers left who know exactly how they work & what should be failed or passed.. They were probably inundated with complaints about cars failing on items that were perfectly ok..
I had to help a tester understand that the seats in an old mini tilted forward with no catch to hold them down, he was looking at failing it (unsecured seat or something) until I explained that's how they were designed & once you were sat down & seat belt on, the seat wasn't going to move .. + the fact most old cars are kept by enthusiasts who fettle there cars on a regular basis & don't do that many miles..
I'm sure there's the odd exception & these are dealt with by the owner been responsible for making sure the vehicle is roadworthy, if there stopped by the police & its obvious the car is falling to bits they will deal with it accordingly.. ( Apparently )
R..

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Any vehicle registered before 1960 is exempt - so that's quite a lot of LandRovers!

I don't quite understand the logic here - you would think that old cars should be checked, even if certain things don't apply - but to exempt them completely???
As I understand it the logic is that 1. Classic cars are normally cherished within an inch of their chrome bumpers. 2. They do very low mileages in general and do not get the wear and tear of newer cars. Quite a few are hardly used on the roads at all, and it was agreed that the costs of an annual MOT Test was unreasonable.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Sorry to re bring this up. But I rang the DVLA and VOSA (now DVSA) and they confirmed my Peugeot Partner EV is MOT exempt. I'm worrying slightly that they got it wrong. Can anyone provide any evidence to suggest otherwise?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
This has come up several times before, just get it MOT'ed anyway. You would want to know if anything was wrong, right? Also it might cause insurance issues.

I used to have an American pickup truck registered as a US army airport vehicle and it was somehow exempt too, but I always MOTed it.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Sorry to re bring this up. But I rang the DVLA, (and someone else forget who) and they confirmed my Peugeot Partner EV is MOT exempt.
I believe that there is a 'consultation document' which amongst other things is looking at requiring MOT testing for EVs produced after a certain date, and remove an anomaly in the Law.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well I agree that it shouldn't be exempt, I don't think anything road legal should be. But it may save me a bit of money, I could get it serviced instead. Seeing as they're similar and don't have a great deal to do, seems a waste of money getting both done.

But I wan't to know the legality of it.

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
It is a quirk that EV LGVs are exempt from an MOT and came about due to the ubiquitous milk float. However, the government has included a change to remove that exemption except for older EV LGVs, which all milk floats are.

It is included in the proposed legislation to allow a heavier EV LGV to be driven on a car licence. Details at this link and an interesting read. It applies to hydrogen LGVs too but I think a tad irrelevant for a while.

Category B driving licence derogation for alternatively fuelled commercial vehicles - GOV.UK

Incidentally, I liked this bit

Currently, electric vans benefit from the same historical exemption as larger electric goods vehicles. As of the end of 2015, there were 4,544 electric vans registered in Great Britain. Since we believe that the existing legislative exemption is not widely known, it is reasonable to assume that a significant number of these vehicles already undergo MOT testing, although we do not know how many this applies to..
Edit: I didn't spot until now what they meant by "older" and could be good news if you have a 64 plate or earlier EV van :)

We propose to retain an exemption for electric goods vehicles first registered before 1 March 2015.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have been told by VOSA and DVLA that it MUST be registered in the 'classification' section of the V5C as 'J type vehicle N1' to be MOT exempt. Anything else and it requires an MOT.

Pre 1960 are all exempt.

Looking at the supplied link this could all change.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,472 Posts
I have been told by VOSA and DVLA that it MUST be registered in the 'classification' section of the V5C as 'J type vehicle N1' to be MOT exempt. Anything else and it requires an MOT.

Pre 1960 are all exempt.

Looking at the supplied link this could all change.
The implications of that hm gov clip is that they don't agree, because they are confirming the exemption there.

The thing is that, for me, I would MoT mine if I had one because it would BE its annual service! EVs only need an inspection service, and you try go find one for less than the price of an MoT?!!

Bear in mind also, I have posted on this before possibly, even, I was first to raise it (?) that you have to apply for the exemption via a form.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Bear in mind also, I have posted on this before possibly, even, I was first to raise it (?) that you have to apply for the exemption via a form.
Why are we all getting different messages?
I was told that if it is exempt due to any of the reasons stated, I don't need to do anything. I may have trouble taxing it online, if I do I need to go to post office to tax it with a V112 (exemption form).

"Evidence of an MoT test is normally required for taxing purposes. If your vehicle is exempt from MoT testing you will need to fill in this form and produce it when you tax your vehicle at a Post Office®. "

The thing is that, for me, I would MoT mine if I had one because it would BE its annual service! EVs only need an inspection service, and you try go find one for less than the price of an MoT?!!
I need a service stamp for the warranty, so I plan on getting a service instead of an MOT.

·
Registered
604 Posts
We have no problem taxing our Kangoo, which is a 13 plate, listed as J Type N1 on the V5, and has never had an MOT in it's life. We've never applied for an exemption, nor have we been asked for one. We've had it to the garage twice now, roughly a year apart, both times for the brakes binding - each time a good scrub up has rectified it. Everything else is just common sense - you get to know if something's not quite right, so we see no need to bother getting the MOT.

I always figured, if I never got an MOT to start with, I could never be accused of use after an MOT has expired. In other words, once you start getting an MOT, you may have to carry on getting one every year, so better to not start at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 66 plate env-200 is confirmed as mot exempt, came about as I have a business related plate that I wanted on the van and was told that mot exempt vehicles cannot have a cherished plate transferred onto them.........asked if there was any issue not mot-ing and got a not sure, see what your insurance company says. IMO if the van has an annual service all mot testable items should be checked anyway and proof of main dealer service history should be fine but let's see what they say when it's nearly three!

Dave

1 - 20 of 29 Posts