Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Which design of charge point has the best user interface / user experience?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, it tells you off for plugging in ready, before you authenticate

20151207_210005_Bunns Ln.jpg

.. Then it tells you off for unplugging the car end first.

20151207_210021_Bunns Ln.jpg

.. and then it locks up, unable to be used by anyone else until the original user reconnects their cable, and taps their card again to end the session.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Voted Zero Carbon World but new Podpoints (Not to be mistaken with Polar!:mad:) look promissing.
Good poll idea. Hope you send results to OiLEV:)

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know I missed out APT and a number of other popular charger manufacturers, but the poll thing on here wouldn't let me add any more.

Nice idea about sending this sort of thing to OLEV; they could do better to engage the end users a bit more when making up their policies.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I know I missed out APT and a number of other popular charger manufacturers, but the poll thing on here wouldn't let me add any more.
You missed the obvious winner too, Tesla.
Push button, plug in, it works.
Push button, it stops, remove.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
The vote isn't really a fair choice... the poll mixes up charge networks that might operate more than one charger make, charger makes that might be used by more than one network with different interfaces (DBT Ecotricity vs DBT Nissan dealer), ZCW & Rolec that have no interface. These are not fair or useful comparisons IMO.

I can see what the poll is getting at and in principle it is a good poll but I think that if it were to tell us anything then the choices need rationalising to be realistic comparisons.

So I couldn't vote. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ZCW and Rolec don't have an on-screen display, but they do have a user interface / user experience, nor do the new non-RFID Pod-Points.

What I'm interested in here is how things can go wrong or confuse the user that is a design issue, rather than a technical fault. Generally, it seems to be the simpler the design, the better the experience.

(For instance, I'd count DBT's hooks and connector stowage as a poor user experience issue - it's clearly not intuitive, because it's something that can confuse the users)

·
Zoe Devotee
9,310 Posts
You need a voting option for "they are all sub par". Or some of us can't vote at all. ;)

Reactions: ShaunnyBwoy

·
Registered
39 Posts
I only ever use the chargemaster posts, and for the last 3 months they've just generally been dodgy or out of order, and they android app unresponsive, and recently it's been down altogether. I did get a decent bit of customer service last month though, and they replaced my Polar Instant RFID card for free.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Voted ZCW but its not a fair comparison. A charge 'network' that doesn't have a backend to communicate with has a huge advantage in the usability stakes. Plug into socket, walk away.

Agree that the new pod-points are a joy to use compared to the old ones. Everyone gets a 15 min charge even if you don't have an account/app. Nothing stopping someone disconnecting and reconnecting repeatedly if you're desperate for some juice in an emergency. The app to confirm the charge is OK on iPhone, and the funky names they give the charge points make it easy to remember which point you're using. e.g. Pete-Erik is looking after Dusty the Tesla today!

DBT Rapids are amongst the worse I've seen. Seconded only by the old chargemaster units (usually 13A + Type 2) - hold card to display, take card away wait for some time, represent card when correct socket offered. Swear and beat your head against the unit as it didn't recognise your card the second time, or it popped the wrong door as you didn't remove your card quick enough. Repeat as desired.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts