Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mode-3-no-hud-hero.jpg

So with the screen in the middle showing everything and being at a good viewing angle and enhanced graphics, autopilot and speedometer display in the production candidates, who needs a HUD? I am sure No One !

Please share your thoughts... I also wrote an article on this here (above pics in high-res): No One Needs A HUD On Tesla Model 3. Here's Why - X Auto

·
Leave in a Leaf
492 Posts
Help me. I'm sitting here with a twitch every time I see or hear 'HUD'.
I'm worried that people are going to start saying 'heads up display' when what they're actually talking about is a 'head up display'.
You see, when I werra lad, first job from school included writing experimental code for what was then the relatively rare feature of a Head Up Display in a certain British aircraft which went on to do rather well down in the South Atlantic.

Much, much later a 'heads up' was a meeting for people who couldn't handle the fact that they had to go to ......erm........a meeting. A career in science, engineering and pedantry, and the necessary precision and consistency required in all three, means that I have a particular dislike of new words being used in the place of existing words that were doing a perfectly good job already.

I know language is constantly evolving, and I've probably stopped, but still, just leave that bloody 's' out will you !!
Chunter...chunter......I'm off to mow the lawn.:mad::mad:

·
Registered
991 Posts
The deeply hooded central instrument panel on a Prius cannot be compared against the large unshielded glass panel display in the Tesla. The latter could be badly affected by glare and reflections never kind the UI issues with having no tactile buttons for frequently accessed functions.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
That doesn't look like any prius I've seen.. when did they make it look like that? It looks awful. Lucky I wasn't in the market for one... Looks like a 1980s throwback.

The one I was in had a big centre screen showing power through the car in a little animation. Looked quite futuristic (no satnav though).

·
Registered
16,894 Posts
The deeply hooded central instrument panel on a Prius cannot be compared against the large unshielded glass panel display in the Tesla. The latter could be badly affected by glare and reflections never kind the UI issues with having no tactile buttons for frequently accessed functions.
That's odd, because the panel in my Model S is quite readable on a hot sunny day like today, driving through the south of France...

I don't miss the buttons either.

·
Banned
4,591 Posts
That's odd, because the panel in my Model S is quite readable on a hot sunny day like today, driving through the south of France...

I don't miss the buttons either.
I was about to say the same thing, infact yesterday I noticed far more reflections on the instrument console than the central console.

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
That doesn't look like any prius I've seen.. when did they make it look like that? It looks awful. Lucky I wasn't in the market for one... Looks like a 1980s throwback.

The one I was in had a big centre screen showing power through the car in a little animation. Looked quite futuristic (no satnav though).
It's a gen 3 (2009-2016), I had one before the Leaf. The central display was absolutely fine.

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
Quite a big problem according to this video though...
I'm sure than with an anti-reflective coating and a strong backlight and or transflective display it'll all be fine. If it works in California it will work in Britain! :D

·
Registered
960 Posts
as for sunlight I had a Lumia 920 and now have a 950, both are perfectly readable indirect sunlight, the 920 has some funky trick that the colours looked washes out, but considering a 5 year old phone that most people dismiss can do it I imagine tesla can do easily...

I'm not convinced about it, but I said the same thing about the leaf until i sat in one!

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Will be interesting to see how well it performs. I've used a phone (Z4) centrally mounted to the dash in my Lotus doing all the Media/Nav stuff you get in the Model S and generally it's pretty reasonable, at least with the roof on.

Roof off it gets really quite hard to see, especially if wearing polarised sunglasses. So I suspect a chunk of the glare issues will come down to how tinted the glass roof is.

The only other data point I can offer is the screen in the Model S ((mine is metal roofed, can't comment on the pano option). It can get pretty reflective but the sun needs to be low in the sky, off to the side and slightly behind you . It's not a deal breaker, but it does exist. I fitted mine with an oleo-phobic anti-glare screen protector, and it is better. Still not as clearly legible in all lighting conditions as the cowled dash screen, but I think good enough.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts