Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else experienced this message?

It seems to pop up after about 20mins of driving. I can go through Config and re-attach the phone but it is happening more regularly and is a bit annoying.

The phone is a Blackberry 9360

·
Registered
395 Posts
No, once hooked up my phone stays connected.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
RayG said:
No, once hooked up my phone stays connected.
Ditto...although it seems random whether it hooks up in the first place (IPhone). I've not systematically tested it, but I have a suspicion that if I turn my phone off, its much less likely to connect when I next get in the car after powering the phone on again - even though bluetooth is still enabled.

·
Premium Member
11,256 Posts
Have you tried deleting the phone and pairing again? If you upgraded iOS after pairing it is possible there could be a glitch.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
proddick said:
Have you tried deleting the phone and pairing again? If you upgraded iOS after pairing it is possible there could be a glitch.
Oh sure, paired the phone again after the 6.1 upgrade, that was quite a long time ago. It does seem somehow related to powering my phone off overnight, which I normally do unless its on charge. Maybe if I always leave the phone powered up, on charge, each night it won't misbehave..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On one 40 minute drive to work last week I got this message 5 times!

I re-paired the phone each time but does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,503 Posts
I have an issue with my phone or car, just appeared/noticed it recently.
When I first try to use the phone on any trip only some of my contacts appear (mostly with one or only a few names and one of these could be a mixture of two separate entries in my phone. If I restart the phone then 99% of the time it works as expected and all contacts show up as expected. Phone is the HTC One running Android 4.3.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I had an HTC Incredible S and I always had trouble with the phonebook. It has been better since I switched phones to Samsung Galaxy S 4 but I still occasionally have a bit of trouble with the phonebook or with calls dropping. I have put this down to a combination of Bluetooth issues and the fact that the phone is probably not on the approved list of phones for the car.

I have never had any car that didn't have some issues with the phone.

·
Registered
395 Posts
@h8ten, Glad your not the only one who has seen this issue with Android 4.3/HTC One. I called HTC support and they advised resetting the phone and restoring from a backup. DONT DO THIS it took me over a week to get things mostly back to normal.

It would seem that you need to ensure there is a valid first/last name for each and every contact. even then it would seem the data does not get transferred each time the phone connects there seems to be some sort of cache on the car.

Also if you have just a single first name for example and several contacts that may use another searchable field to identify the correct one then only one of those contacts will be transferred.

Still working on trying to find the correct solution to the problem.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,503 Posts
Thanks for the advice @RayG I was going to be giving HTC a call tomorrow. It is strange how a restart of my phone will fix it the vast majority of the time. I could be wrong but I get the feeling that each time the phone connects it downloads the phone book otherwise the list would be wrong all the time. I will check all my contacts have both names included. What I have noticed sometimes when my contacts are wrong is that it has mixed two contacts into one eg,
Joe Bloggs and John Smith becomes Joe John Smith Bloggs with both numbers listed separately but with one of these contacts always being myself.
I have noticed some contacts being listed multiple times for home and mobile but I put that down to the way the phone has linked contacts with Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+ etc.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Well having done some more experimenting I think I may have found what is going on.

It seems that the Android update is now a little more picky about the format of the phone number entry.

Lets ask you a question...

When you display the phone book in the car do you see entries like:

<FirstName> <LastName> /W or /M or /H

I had not seen that before the /W, /M or /H refer to Work, Mobile, Home it seems, whereas before they were IIRC listed as separate numbers under one name entry.

What I did was to edit every single number in the contacts list to be in the format (Country) (Code) (Number) e.g. +44 (1234) 123456. The brackets and spaces are important. Then when I connected the phone everything looks like it appeared correctly in the format above. You also have to se the phone to dial numbers as shown and not add another +44. Don't forget to loose the leading zero in the code.

I have now synchronised Outlook and the HTCOne and it all looks good so far. Yes I also restarted the phone and there are a couple of entries that I have changed since the restart but so far have not yet appeared on the list in the car despite turning off bluetooth and then starting it up again. I will see what happens over the next couple of days.

BTW With regard to backup what method(s) do you use to back up your phone. Having gone through the pain of trying a reset and then a restore I would be interested to hear what you would expect to happen should you every need to do a factory reset. (Then I will tell you what I saw happen :) )

Let me know how you get on

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,503 Posts
Yes Ray, that is how I now see entries with /W or /M or /H and I seem to have one with /O
Today I saw my own name mixed up with another person's surname and on selecting that 'person' I was then presented with two numbers, my own and the other person. As you say it only seems to have happened since the last android update. I tend to use Google to back up contacts as I still use Outlook Express on my laptop for email, not got around to using Windows Live Mail but I might just decide to move to Outlook come the new year.
With my last HTC, a Sensation, I did a factory reset after an update seemed to slow the phone right down following the instructions from HTC but used the phone to back up to the micro SD card, reset then import. I removed the card before the reset just in case.
I will set about checking my contacts tonight and check in the car again.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Well, after my last post I have to say things have now reverted backup to what they were before - sigh... The car is storing the name and multiple numbers as one entry. What I suspect is that when the transfer takes place the >W or /H etc. cause the right icon to be displayed against the number. That said I am now back to square one with not all the names/numbers being transferred correctly. HTC are taking the expected route of saying its an issue with the car - isn't that just typical of any software issue. If we call Vauxhall we will be told its the phone. SO frustrating that people do not want to take responsibility and actually try and get to the bottom of the issue. I have one last thing to try and that is ensuring that there are no "blank" names - I found another this morning that I had not updated.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,503 Posts
@RayG I have tried putting in the numbers in the format you suggested, still the same. Changed it so that each number started with +44 (where appropriate) and still the same. All my entries have more than one name.
I called HTC tonight and they did not say I needed to reset the phone but suggested that the dealership should have an update to the Bluetooth software. I am beginning to wonder if it is Android 4.3 as opposed to HTC and that Vauxhall will have to release an update to cure the issue.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I agree it is Android 4.3 but that version is supplied by HTC and I don't know how we would get a fix to Android other than through HTC - after all do they should make sure it works correctly with their kit before they release it? There must be some form of testing - or am I expecting to much. Something must have been changed and that change should be obvious to anyone with the right kit to test which I suspect is not you or I. Not sure where we go now - I cannot see Vauxhall issuing an update given past experiences.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have great sympathy with the issues mentioned and as it happens my son installed an "update" to his HTC 'phone just before Christmas and has had problems since syncing(?) it to his 2013 Astra's bluetooth.

I do think the onus, however, to rectify the "issue" lies squarely with the phone people. I'd never expect Vauxhall to invest time and resources because of something HTC chose to change, or am I missing a point here?

Big Paul

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Is it Vauxhall or HTC? That is the question and we can never know... or at least it is difficult for us to know.

The fact is that there is a Bluetooth standard... nope, there are 4 BT standards 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0... nope, there are 8 BT standards 1.0, 1.0B, 1.1, 1.2, 2.0 +EDR, 2.1 + EDR, 3.0 + HS, 4.0...

An so it goes on!

So which standard does the car conform to, which does the phone conform to... do they both actually follow the standard or do they use their own OEM extensions?

BT is notoriously difficult to get working for the very reason there is no common standard that everyone can adhere to.

So, if HTC change something that stops it working but it is Vauxhall that is not following the standard then it should be Vauxhall that fixes it... on the other hand it could be the other way round.

BT is always a nightmare and it is impossible to apportion blame when it doesn't work.

·
Registered
395 Posts
@h8ten, still trying to get to the bottom of this... A question do you have a pictures associated with any of your contacts? I remember adding some to mine but cannot really remember the time-frame of Android 4.2/4.3 the phone book not working and me adding pictures. It seems that when the phone book is downloaded it is done as a vcard and that gets considerably larger if a picture is included. I was just wondering if you had any pictures? If not then it than that would not be the reason. I have not deleted them from my contacts yet - I will wait for your reply first.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,503 Posts
@RayG I have photographs attached but only the ones that are attached through facebook, twitter, google+ profiles etc, I have not added any photographs myself.
I have checked through each of the individual 'phonebooks' available on my phone (WhatsApp, Sim, Tango, Voxer, Google, Google+, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Phone, never knew there were this many!) and all of them have photos attached to some of the contacts. The only phonebook with no entries is the Sim one, I will need to try and add non-photographed contacts to that, select it as the phone's phonebook and then try connecting it to the car. I am not sure if this will work as expected as I when I do manage to import the phonebook to the car I can get multiple entries for the same person for home or mobile numbers and I think it could be reading all the phonebooks and interpreting them as separate individuals, hope you get the gist of what I mean.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts