Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Doing some tests now, measuring voltage across the earth strapwith a 6.5 digit meter - calibration factor in my case : millivolts * 3.6 = amps.

It does seem to take a good few minutes before everything settles down to its minimum draw. I have previously noticed that the media USB port stays live for quite a while after switchoff.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Bit of a zombie thread job, but I've just ordered a small jump pack so was reading this again as research.
I reckon you could get away with a laptop battery and a 12V regulator. It just needs to provide a few amps for a few seconds to start up the electrics
A few people said something like this but there is a flaw in it. It doesn't just need to power the electronics, it has to also provide enough current to lift the voltage of the dead car battery up to maybe 10 or 11V. It's a big electric anchor on the system.

Please don't try disconnecting the car battery to get round this - the results either while starting and/or reconnecting it to the running system could be horrible.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Question. Where to keep an emergency jump battery?
If the auxiliary battery is dead I'm guessing it may not be possible to open the boot as it has an electric latch. (Yes, I need to read the manual again.) So keeping the jump kit in there might be sub-optimal.
Glove box maybe, but space may be a problem for some (though it does seem quite a good size).

·
Registered
321 Posts
We have a battery pack which can jumpstart a car....generally keep it under a car seat....
....not that I can find it at the moment (must be somewhere in the house now....:rolleyes:)

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
My pack arrived today. Looks good and was cheap.
After charging it up I've stashed it in the big hole under the central console which seems a god use for that space.

Comes in a nice little hardish case:

It's 'only' a 6 Ah job (confusingly it's called a Powerseed Mini Boost 2A) but that should be plenty as it doesn't have to turn an engine. Has a torchlight and port for use as a USB powerbank as well.
I paid £22.99 incl p&p from MyMemory but I see it's now £21.75 :(

41 - 50 of 50 Posts