Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is 4C outside and my car has not been used for 24 hours. Battery 50% full. Mine is 2015 70D.

I am used to limited regen below 12c but have never seen zero regen even when sub zero.

I wonder if this is as a result of a recent update to further protect the battery.

Anyone else noticed a similar change?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
if it regens fine when warmed it's intentional.

If it's intentional there'll be a good reason for it.

I read a paper last week suggesting not to charge a freezing battery at all, but if you had to, do it at no more than about 0.02C, which for MS would be 1-2kW.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I think the regen limitations are greater than they have been in previous winters. Reading some of the battery/chargegate posts I think Tesla have learned that charging a cold or coldish battery can be just as damaging as high powered DC charging.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I am glad it is not just me that is affected.

I agree with the theory that Tesla in the face of recent evidence has become more conservative over regen in cold weather.

I wish they would more actively heat the pack as a result, even if it was just to give 20kWh regen capability rather than the zero I had for 40mins on my commute this morning.

Tomorrow I will try and trick the car into thinking I am going to a Supercharger, to see if that makes a difference (I presume only when I am 15 mins away from one).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts