Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Passat Estate GTE Advance
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Passat Estate 2020 GTE Advance.

Sound has been fine until Wednesday. I reversed the car out of my very short drive and reversed back in again in order to turn it around. I then switched on the infotainment system - all ok except no sound at all. The volume button made no difference so I went into the menu to the sound settings only to receive the attached message on the screen.

The rest of the screen was blank, i.e. no settings available. I was not making a phone call, there were no announcements and I was stationary, parked.
It is now Saturday and I still have the same problem - total silence!

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not sure if it will work or if you've already tried: Press and hold the left knob in. It will (or should) go to the clock. Continue holding for around 30 seconds and the unit should reboot. It takes a bit to cycle and then come back on. Hopefully that would fix it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure if it will work or if you've already tried: Press and hold the left knob in. It will (or should) go to the clock. Continue holding for around 30 seconds and the unit should reboot. It takes a bit to cycle and then come back on. Hopefully that would fix it.
Thanks for the reply. I don't have any knobs on mine - it's the Nav Pro

I have just tried to continuously press the on/off button but it just switched the system on and off without resetting anything.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Unless you are a key worker your dealership isn't going to be much help currently unfortunately. I might have been tempted to go to fuse box and try pulling fuse for infotainment system before replacing, although there are separate fuses for system and display. Sounds horribly like software needing to be re-installed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unless you are a key worker your dealership isn't going to be much help currently unfortunately. I might have been tempted to go to fuse box and try pulling fuse for infotainment system before replacing, although there are separate fuses for system and display. Sounds horribly like software needing to be re-installed.
Thanks aspergerguy, you may be right. I haven't tried the fuse suggestion - I'm not very savvy in that area and I think I'd be more worried about screwing it up even more. I haven't tried the factory reset option yet. I was hoping not to have to go through setting it all up and re-connecting WeConnect etc, but I think that'll have to be next.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you hold down all the way like below:

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did exactly as on the video, but no change, still no sound and the same error message.

I drove it today (supermarket shop!) with the infotainment system on - but after a while it switched itself off, then on, then off etc!! I think major problem!! :cry:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: Not driven the car since Monday. This evening, Saturday, went out to get something from the car and now I cannot unlock it!! Tried both keys and by hand with key in pocket, nothing. Not even the tailgate. Methinks I have a duff one - dealership will be getting quite a strong telephone call on Monday morning!! :mad:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Presumably trying "driver's door" and may need to pull on door handle slightly to allow you to turn spare key. Sounds like the vehicle's 12V battery is now too discharged through lack of use and you will need to hold remote against mark on moulding beneath steering column so that RFID tag will allow vehicle to start.

·
Registered
462 Posts
The infotainment is designed to mute when you put it into reverse, it then goes back up to normal volume when you start driving (IIRC around 10 mph or kph).

It sounds like you have now flattened the battery, moving a car a few yards will do this as it normally takes about 5 miles to put the charge back into the battery that was required to start the car. So lots of short trips will flatten a battery quickly)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Presumably trying "driver's door" and may need to pull on door handle slightly to allow you to turn spare key. Sounds like the vehicle's 12V battery is now too discharged through lack of use and you will need to hold remote against mark on moulding beneath steering column so that RFID tag will allow vehicle to start.
I haven't tried the spare key - not really sure how to and I don't want to set off the alarm in case it won't switch off. I'll let the dealer do that. I tried keyless entry just using my hand in the door handle.

How can the 12V battery be discharged? I didn't drive it for five days only - surely it can't be discharged after only a few days. What if I went on holiday for one or two weeks? I'd return to a dead car in the car park? My previous GTE went a week or so without being driven but never a problem with the battery levels.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The infotainment is designed to mute when you put it into reverse, it then goes back up to normal volume when you start driving (IIRC around 10 mph or kph).

It sounds like you have now flattened the battery, moving a car a few yards will do this as it normally takes about 5 miles to put the charge back into the battery that was required to start the car. So lots of short trips will flatten a battery quickly)
I did start driving forward but it was still completely no sound.

I don't see how I could have flattened the battery as I drove it on the Saturday and previous to that. Surely it doesn't go flat after 5 days of non-driving? How would we go on holiday for a week or more? Never had this problem with my previous GTE and I did leave it for more than 5 days on occasion.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Don't know whether your previous GTE was keyless but one of first warnings of low 12V battery is that it wants to shutdown infotainment system to save juice. My previous keyless Golf GTE used to throw a wobbly latterly, if left longer than 2 weeks as 12v battery deteriorated. However whilst keyless opening is automatically disabled quite early when low battery, buttons upon remote usually still work Here is video as RFID tag within fob shuts off alarm:
Also mentioned upon forum here:Keyless key fob battery dead?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't know whether your previous GTE was keyless but one of first warnings of low 12V battery is that it wants to shutdown infotainment system to save juice. My previous keyless Golf GTE used to throw a wobbly latterly, if left longer than 2 weeks as 12v battery deteriorated. However whilst keyless opening is automatically disabled quite early when low battery, buttons upon remote usually still work.

Many thanks for the video - it was really useful. I managed to get in the car but the battery was completely dead, not a flicker of light anywhere. Cutting a long-ish story short, I got VW Assistance out to the car and the wonderful technician charged up the 12V battery and (keeping my fingers and everything else crossed) it seems to be working fine now, including the sound.

Thanks to all who replied and to aspergerguy in particular - you have been very helpful and I am a little bit more knowledgeable now :)
(Yes, my previous GTE was keyless as well).

Cheers, and stay safe!

·
Registered
116 Posts
May well be time to invest in a smart charger to top-up battery. Don't know whether you had a chance to notice VW Assistance removed fuse box cover in engine compartment to expose +ve terminal for charging (think is third terminal along with a vertical blade on it) and -ve terminal look for brown earth wire attached to bulkhead straight ahead of you similarly with vertical blade to attach crocodile clip. Had to top up my GTE 12v battery today as getting erroneous messages such as can't find key and reversing camera staying up for ages after "D" selected!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
May well be time to invest in a smart charger to top-up battery. Don't know whether you had a chance to notice VW Assistance removed fuse box cover in engine compartment to expose +ve terminal for charging (think is third terminal along with a vertical blade on it) and -ve terminal look for brown earth wire attached to bulkhead straight ahead of you similarly with vertical blade to attach crocodile clip. Had to top up my GTE 12v battery today as getting erroneous messages such as can't find key and reversing camera staying up for ages after "D" selected!
Yes, I did see what he did and I'll give it some thought, but I have never needed one in the past, including on my last GTE where I rarely used the ICE - I even went for over a year without putting any petrol in it! I think the main cause was the dealer having the car back for it's initial problem and then leaving it on site without moving it for almost 3 weeks!! At that time the car had only approx 150 miles on the clock.

The VW chap thought my battery was still in excellent condition with no signs of damage. I'm certainly not going to be leaving the car stationary for any significant period of time and am trying to take it out for a reasonable journey (in hybrid mode) as often as possible to make sure the battery is topped up.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I will look into it further and the costs.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well the same has happened to me. I had the “12v battery low, recharge by driving“ a couple of times over the last three weeks but the warning went off after about ten minutes of driving.

Yesterday I got in the car, switched on, and was met by a string of error messages concerning systems on the car and then it went dead and the alarm went off. I called VW assistance and an AA man came out. I told him I thought the 12v battery was flat. He put his booster on but we could not lock the car or take the HV charge cable out and the alarm started going again. He then charged the battery a bit with his van, enough to lock it and stop the alarm and he escalated the call to a VW engineer.

The VW engineer came today, replaced the battery, cleared all the error messages and test drove it. Pretty good I thought but this is a clear weak link if you don’t use the car much or leave it in an airport car park for two week. Like MrMoo, my car was in the garage for two weeks, mine with a camera problem. It spent a lot of time doing nothing, waiting to have the camera recalibrated. I got it back just as the lockdown started. Also, I bought it new in December. The dealer had it in stock and I don’t know how long for.

My smart charger arrives Wednesday!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts