Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
11,027 Posts
If it’s a car issue it shouldn’t matter which network.
Depends who you blame for KIA failing to fully implement the rubbish CCS standards, the charge point manufacturer and network owners for failing to put an EV6 specific workaround in all of their network?

Me? I'll stick with CHAdeMO for as long as possible before switching to Tesla who take responsibility for both ends of the cable.

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
9,746 Posts
I think it’s reasonable to assume that it’s that particular car that has an issue.

If they were all failing to charge, even though there aren’t many out there, we’d be hearing a lot more about it?

I’ve not found the problems with CCS that are often cited due to the standard/protocol being poor and/or manufacturers not implementing properly. The only time I’ve failed to be able to charge on a unit it’s been the charger itself that’s been kaput.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I think it’s reasonable to assume that it’s that particular car that has an issue.

If they were all failing to charge, even though there aren’t many out there, we’d be hearing a lot more about it?

I’ve not found the problems with CCS that are often cited due to the standard/protocol being poor and/or manufacturers not implementing properly. The only time I’ve failed to be able to charge on a unit it’s been the charger itself that’s been kaput.
Likewise in all the time I had the I-Pace. A couple of times I had issues (once on Polar as was, once on InstaVolt) and taking CCS plug out, locking and unlocking car and putting CCS plug back in sorted it.
And once when charger was frozen and the charger company had to do a remote reboot.
As you say, if every EV6 was failing to charge at CCS chargers I think it would be in the news a bit more than one bloke in Ireland in a YouTube channel.
Let’s hope my words don’t come back and bite me later today or tomorrow when I try to rapid charge the EV6 for the first time 🤞🤞

·
Registered
720 Posts
One interesting observation with the EV6 I had mine plugged into a zappi charger today harvesting a bit of solar. The EV6 is quite happy taking 1.2kw where as our BMW i3 needs 1.4kw. So that’s quite good. Will also try a CCS in next couple of days, last thing I want is a challenge when I really need a charge.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I’m happily connected at the moment to a BP Pulse 50kW CCS with no problem. As car is 85% SOC it’s not setting any speed records. But absolutely no problem connecting or getting charge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Doesn't sound good, has anyone else had Rapid charger problems?
Hi. I have also tried 6 or so different CCS chargers, and the EV6 will not connect. The dealer says I need a new sensor something as 2 of the terminals in the car are faulty. None in the UK or Europe so 3 months from Kia South Korea.
Kia tell me it is not a known problem, I disagree from looking on line. Do you or anyone know of any solutions? as I am unable to travel any distance, so having the car is almost pointless.

·
Registered
80 Posts
For a start, I'd be demanding that they send the part via courier from S.Korea. Here in a week or less!! It's not your fault that they don't have there stocks of parts in the places where they are needed!

·
Registered
5 Posts
For a start, I'd be demanding that they send the part via courier from S.Korea. Here in a week or less!! It's not your fault that they don't have there stocks of parts in the places where they are needed!
Yes, am putting some pressure on to get this sorted. Am on at the dealer at the moment and waiting for a response......

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I have also tried 6 or so different CCS chargers, and the EV6 will not connect. The dealer says I need a new sensor something as 2 of the terminals in the car are faulty. None in the UK or Europe so 3 months from Kia South Korea.
Kia tell me it is not a known problem, I disagree from looking on line. Do you or anyone know of any solutions? as I am unable to travel any distance, so having the car is almost pointless.
I am also in this situation - just away for the weekend so have travelled too far to be able to get back home. The car is charging fine on type 2 and the granny cable but will not charge on CCS at all. I've tried Instavolt (which I have used before with no problems), Osprey, Gridserve and PodPoint - no joy at any of them. Will contact the dealer when I am back home in Ireland. Were you able to get any kind of resolution on this from your dealer or Kia?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am also in this situation - just away for the weekend so have travelled too far to be able to get back home. The car is charging fine on type 2 and the granny cable but will not charge on CCS at all. I've tried Instavolt (which I have used before with no problems), Osprey, Gridserve and PodPoint - no joy at any of them. Will contact the dealer when I am back home in Ireland. Were you able to get any kind of resolution on this from your dealer or Kia?
I had mine fixed by Kia Kings Lynn a couple of weeks ago. Of course they don't have a CCS charger there, so was a little scepticle as they could not test it. However popped round to Morrisons and it works, what an absolute pleasure and relief! It did take 4-6 weeks I suppose, better than 3 months though. No more weekends away in Morrisons car parks! It must be a known problem, they should sort it or do a recall.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Are these problems from new or ones that have appeared after a while? If the latter it’s more concerning to the rest of us.
I know my EV6 is very temperamental with Shell chargers but no problem otherwise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Are these problems from new or ones that have appeared after a while? If the latter it’s more concerning to the rest of us.
I know my EV6 is very temperamental with Shell chargers but no problem otherwise.
Mine was from new. It took me a while to work out that it must be the car, not the charger or me doing something wrong.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts