Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is light rain falling here today and it is the first time I had a chance to really use my wipers. Having it on "auto" (not very sensitive as I only needed a wipe every now and then), I noticed that the wipers on the "return swipe" stutters and there's a very annoying sounds that's made. Initially I thought it was from the back seat but it was just the echo that made me think that.
I suppose it's because the wipers cleared the windshield so clean that the stutter occurs. Maybe it's the wipers that won't "switch" with the change of direction. IDK.
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem?
My thoughts are that the wipers need changing. But only having the car for less than 2 weeks, I'm going back to my dealer to see if they'll change them.

Aside from the annoyance, I can say that the "auto wipers" system used by Audi is better than those used by Mazda (at least the 2010-2011) model year. I have friends who constantly complain that it's unreliable b/c it sometimes won't wipe when there's big drops of rain and then wipes when it's a light mist.
I adjusted the sensitivity today to see how it behaved and I liked how it worked. Almost like the old intermittent settings but when more rain hit, the wipers did it's job.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mentioned the issue to my dealership and they've replaced my wipers. Expecting rain tomorrow and I'll then know if it's resolved.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
The stuttering wipers are common complaint on the Mk7 Golf also !.
I have a GTE and in light rain they stutter and are noisy in operation.
On my previous Golf I replaced them with Bosch Aero - twins and was very pleased with the results.
Brilliant at clearing the screen and silent in there operation.
From memory, I think I paid about £30 for both front blades.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It rained a bit y'day and today, so I was able to see if the wipers will still make noise.
Well thankfully it was nice and quiet. I'm happy that the dealership made the call to replace wipers and not make a bog deal out of it.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Happy that your happy now !.
At least the "stealer" did not make a big issue over replaceing them !!!.
I believe that VW use two different manfactures for the blades they use, this topic has been widely covered on the Golf forum. Both types of blades have being tried and had mixed results, poor !. Members have also resulted in "claying" the windscreen and using all manner of cleaning produces to clean the glass to try and prevent the wipers from being noisy in their operation. My car is parked on the drive all of the time and so is subject to all weather conditions. When the weather is cold the wipers will also "stutter" and jump a lot !.
I find the original blades are not consistant in there operation, at one time of the day they can be silent and in the same day, the noisy will return at will !!. I am not bothering to appoach the dealer to replace them, as I am sure it will only be a short term fix. The baldes on my GTE have had the intermitant stuttering noise from the day I collected the car.
Members have had the dealers replace the wiper arms to try and cure the problem !!!.
This spring I will replace the original blades on my car with the "Bosch Aerotwins" as they where so good on my previous Golf, I just hope that Bosch have not changed the material used on thier blade now.
My nephew has a BMW 1 series and has similar issues with stuttering wipers on his car, he has just converted to the Bosch blades and has been pleased with the results so far, only time will tel I guess !!!.

·
Registered
673 Posts
We were the same with our GTE within 2 weeks from delivery; blades changed, good improvement, but issue returned within a few weeks. Prior to 1st trip back to dealer, every trick in the book was tried to clean both screen and blades; improvement one day and not the next. After returning 2nd time to dealer, they advised VW refused warranty claim on blades replaced, but after confirming issues were still remaining, I was suppied with a two pack cleaning cloth and special fluid to clean; this did work well and to date nearly 6 months later, rarely have any judder issues. I also dig up the many other Mk7 Golf owners having similar wiper issues with mixed results of satisafaction attempting to cure, with replacement Bosch blades being one of the solutions.
Original blades did appear to have a much harder rubber compound than their replacements, confirming if ambient temperture was higher, they were fine; cooler, they would be noisy and judder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts