Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My Nissan Leaf 2011 has been making a rumbling noise in the past few days. The intensity increases as I drive faster.
No noise when stationary.
Does anyone know what it could be?

I was wondering if it is a generic mechanical issue that the local garages can fix, I can to save time getting it done locally.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
There is a cranking noise that sounds like suspension.
The turbo diesel one can't really identify.
Where does it sounds to come from?

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,406 Posts
It's like someone has stuffed an old Beetle engine in the boot. Wheel bearing collapsed maybe?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
That was my first impression.
It could be one of the rotors playing up but those things usually would last a life time.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know I have asked the question, but dont understand anything you are suggesting(down to my knowledge of the car mechanics).
I understand the suspension when going up and down the road humps..

Also, the noise is constant irrespective of the throttle. If I take the acceleration off and shift to Nuetral, it still makes the same noise as when accelerating.

The noise comes from the bonet towards the drivers side. As it makes noise only when moving, I am not able to find the exact location in the bonet section.

Thanks for your suggestions. Please keep them coming. I am reading about your suggestions to understand more before I take it in to the garage.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
the "beetle engine in the boot" noise is very likely a wheel bearing, and a typical normal garage will be able to fix it, the parts are shared with Juke amongst others. Does it change if you steer from side to side (altering the loading on the bearing)?

There was also a creaking noise when you went over the speed hump, that probably also wants looked at, will be suspension related.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,310 Posts
Read recently that the transfer gear on older leafs with higher mileage are starting to fall apart. No spares either so its a new gear box? No idea what that sounds like though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could be right.. Checked my complementary vehicle check video. The rotors were corroded. And it is time to change my brake pads as well.
I will get them changed and see if that fixes the issue.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the "beetle engine in the boot" noise is very likely a wheel bearing, and a typical normal garage will be able to fix it, the parts are shared with Juke amongst others. Does it change if you steer from side to side (altering the loading on the bearing)?

There was also a creaking noise when you went over the speed hump, that probably also wants looked at, will be suspension related.
I tried to see if steering the car to either side makes a difference. It doesn't make any difference.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
if its a wheel bearing making that much noise, it should be fairly obvious to a mechanic by just spinning the wheel by hand. You might as well have them check it out when they're doing the brakes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts