Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Eniro 4+
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had my charger fitted this week by a company that shall remain nameless. An additional electrical box needed to be fitted adjacent to my fusebox (for reasons unknown to me, possibly because my fusebox didn't have any additional slots in it? )

The noise it makes is horrible!

I can hear it from my living room! Would you accept this? What else can I do about it?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
You wouldn't want a car charger connected as part of your normal Consumer Unit - not a good plan.
The noise, however, does seem quite excessive.

·
Registered
Eniro 4+
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You wouldn't want a car charger connected as part of your normal Consumer Unit - not a good plan
Agreed. After a little reading it sems this 'thing' is fitted as part of the earthing, thus removing the need for a rod.

I'd rather have an earth rod than this bloody thing though!

Its turned off at the breaker currently. I'll just turn it on when the car needs charging. Less than ideal for a £1000 install but I guess I'm stuck with it.

·
Registered
Eniro 4+
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'm just going to leave the breaker turned off until I want to charge the car. It'll only need a charge once a week at the most.
That'll save my street being illuminated by the ridiculously bright led on the wallbox charger that I can't seem to turn off or control.

Given I've just spent almost a thousand quid, dissapointed is an understatement!

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
2,134 Posts
Agreed. After a little reading it sems this 'thing' is fitted as part of the earthing, thus removing the need for a rod.

Its turned off at the breaker currently. I'll just turn it on when the car needs charging. Less than ideal for a £1000 install but I guess I'm stuck with it.
Or both podpoint and zappi (I'm sure others) require neither..

I'd be annoyed if I could hear that all day..

·
Registered
Eniro 4+
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll have to put up with it. I can't afford to bin it and buy a zappi (I don't need it's fancy features to be fair) .

Because of the floodlight fitted to the front of the wallbox charger I'll just leave the breaker on the matt:e tripped until I need to charge the car.

Less than ideal but I see little other option without considerable further expense.

·
Registered
326 Posts

What charger have you got? Was the Matt:e even needed?

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I think I'm just going to leave the breaker turned off until I want to charge the car. It'll only need a charge once a week at the most.
That's a decent plan.

That'll save my street being illuminated by the ridiculously bright led on the wallbox charger that I can't seem to turn off or control.
Gaffer tape / Duck tape.

Given I've just spent almost a thousand quid, dissapointed is an understatement!
Welcome to being an early adopter of emerging technology. :)

·
Registered
Eniro 4+
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's a decent plan.

Gaffer tape / Duck tape.

Welcome to being an early adopter of emerging technology. :)
Yeah tape will work but it won't look pretty. I might have a try at it. It's a joke you can't select the light to off.

Like I said, I know the cost is miniscule but it's the principle (along with the looks!). Ev's are supposed to be environmentally friendly etc.... I charge mine every 10-14 days but I've got to have a light illuminated 24/7 to do that. I dont know what they are thinking.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
It's the contactor in the matt-e box (that provides the required open PEN fault protection), as above, others have noted the same problem. There are silent contactors available, not expensive, either, so I've no idea why matt-e choose to use such a noisy one.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Id just get back onto the installer and say nope, needs to come out as the noise isnt acceptable and just earting rod it somewhere instead.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts