Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received a noncompliance recall for the Ampera today. Something to do with daytime running lights not coming on. The letter says they will also update to latest software.

Anyone had this done and noticed any changes with software?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Me too - I just logged in to post this to see you've all also had it. Mine also mentions power inverter update and software updates.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Had the letter today as well. The vehicle had its first service last week, and the paperwork mentioned they had done software updates but did not mention which. I'll have to call them next week and find out!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I also had the letter today, but I think I may be able to claim responsibility for identifying the issue in question!

A little while ago I noticed, when I went out to my Ampera, unlocked it and unplugged it, then got in and started it all within 30 seconds and in darkness, the "issue" in question occured.

Namely; at first, the convenience feature of the lights (Daytime Running Lights & headlamps) illuminating my path kicked in, but when I started up the lights would go out before the headlights re - illuminated(?). At this point all seemed well, untill I reversed out from my drive and caught a glimpse of the car's reflection in a front window (of the house) only to see that while the headlights were automatically on, the DRLs were not. If I stopped, put the car in Park and switched the lights off and back on to the "auto" setting then the DRLs came back on and all was well.
When I reported this, which as you might imagine was no easy feat, the problem was referred back to Vauxhall who confirmed after investigation, there was a software issue and after a few weeks I was contacted and the car taken back in to be re-programmed and since then all is now as I think it should be.

I suspect when I take the car in for it's second service next month it will be found that mine has already been updated but I don't know what else might be updated

As you will see there is no real safety issue at stake here as I never lost headlamps hence I guess it's called a "Non Compliance Recall" rather than a Safty Recall.

Big Paul

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Here's the letter I got:

IMG_20140308_172552.jpg

When they say update the Power Inverter Module it sounds serious, as it's a pretty fundamental component, Is anyone aware of any issues with the PIM?

I wonder what the other updates could bring... I suspect nothing noticeable.

I'm coming up for second annual service next month so it's convenient..

·
Registered
397 Posts
Mine arrived on Saturday 3rd March

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've had an email yesterday asking for my ampera to be returned to a dealer to have its daytime running lights switchery upgraded because the auto switching between light and dark does not conform to ECE regulations.

has anyone else had this recall?

They intend to upgrade the power inverter and perform a software upgrade.

I've only had a month and one of the reasons I ordered it was because it was available from stock, I was considering one of the 100mpg Peugoet 308s but they are not available until May. To my dismay Vauxhall then told me that all new stored Amperas had to go through a rigorous pre delivery inspect which over Christmas added a month to the previous 2 week delivery time. Having gone through this only in January I now find this recall notice over a matter of regulatory compliance which is presumably a design feature extant in the car since its launch!

The work will take 2 hours and is naturally FoC.

J

1 - 13 of 13 Posts