Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
By the same token, life is too short to accept second rate. Get rid and acquire something better and less hassle.

We're not here to enjoy life, we're here to pay taxes.
No No No, That wont Work, Vicky said if we are doing that, I am out!

Because, as Renault have proven, it is difficult to find the engineering skills to make a system that can both heat AND dehumidify.

If you are content with having a damp soggy experience in the car in winter, then feel free to get yourself a Zoe.
No issues here. Maybe you’re excessively damp.

I regard heat pumps as unnecessary and expensive complications waiting to go wrong, above 50kWh. They only add to purchase costs and repair bills, doing little else of value.
I couldn't disagree more. When driving 900km in -10°C. You will thank god, budha and all others for a heat pump. Our Kona takes roughly 0,6-1,2kW at those temperatures. If you tinker a little and engage the resistive heating it's about 3-6kW. The trip took about 11h of driving so ~6,6-13,2kWh compared to ~33-66kWh consumption is huge. The latter is more than the usable capacity in Kona. When driving small round trips it doesn't matter at all with big battery.

I couldn't disagree more. When driving 900km in -10°C. You will thank god, budha and all others for a heat pump. Our Kona takes roughly 0,6-1,2kW at those temperatures. If you tinker a little and engage the resistive heating it's about 3-6kW. The trip took about 11h of driving so ~6,6-13,2kWh compared to ~33-66kWh consumption is huge. The latter is more than the usable capacity in Kona. When driving small round trips it doesn't matter at all with big battery.
I know you’ve opened up an old thread, welcome by the way, but it would be extremely hard to do 900km in -10c temps here in the UK.

The general benefits of heat pumps in more temperate climates, and putting aside edge cases, don’t really outweigh the dis-benefits for most users was the point being made.

A lot of heat pumps don’t really work very well at very low temps either, so even then it’s not a universal rule.

If you drive 900km you will need well over 200kWh of energy (at those temps and speeds), and you want to bicker over 20kWh of heating energy?

That extra 20kWh of heating energy will add no extra time to your journey at all, but may add 20 mins extra during one of your multiple charging stops, one of which will surely be over night so you spend an extra 20 mins in bed.

You'll need to lay out the maths of this better for me, because I think what you're saying there is not creditable.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.