Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I reset the mileage trip each time I charge and make a note of the percentage charge before and after I charge. For example I charged to 100% last time, and plugged it in tonight at 25%. The trip shows I travelled 108.4 miles on the 75% battery used. Extrapolated to 100% this gives 144.5 miles range. The GOM showed 135 miles at 100% so is about 9.5 miles out.

Not exact of course but as accurate as I can get without going into the lower reaches of state of charge. I try and plug in as close to 30% as I can to protect the battery, and top up to about 80% normally. I do the 100% charge once a month to balance the cells.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I reset the mileage trip each time I charge and make a note of the percentage charge before and after I charge. For example I charged to 100% last time, and plugged it in tonight at 25%. The trip shows I travelled 108.4 miles on the 75% battery used. Extrapolated to 100% this gives 144.5 miles range. The GOM showed 135 miles at 100% so is about 9.5 miles out.

Not exact of course but as accurate as I can get without going into the lower reaches of state of charge. I try and plug in as close to 30% as I can to protect the battery, and top up to about 80% normally. I do the 100% charge once a month to balance the cells.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks, James. Sounds like a good routine to follow, so I shall do the same.

Mine hit 30% yesterday, with the GOM at 32. I had covered 67 miles since the previous 100% charge, so the extrapolated range is 95 miles. The GOM, post-charge showed 112 miles, but after the first mile or so (mostly downhill) it dropped to 102. The words "teapot" and "chocolate" are swirling round my mind!

That 0-4-8 display in your last photo is described in the book as "Instantaneous Energy Consumption", but it rockets to 8 under regen braking, so I think it's just a measure of energy flow disregarding direction.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Did you set off at 112 with the HVAC (heat/ac/demist etc) all turned off, then switch the HVAC on? When you turn on the HVAC the GOM recalculates your range, usually down by about 10 miles on a full charge. If you looked at the GOM with the blowers on and it read 102 that would explain the sudden jump. As soon as you turn the HVAC off again it would jump back up to where it was.

The 0-8 reads the other way around, so 8 is most efficient and 0 is least efficient. You should see it at 8 under regen as you are moving forward without any draw on the battery. Plant your foot and it should drop down to about 2. If you push the EV button under the nav screen one of the screens shows a blue tree growing based on the same 0-8 rating (but rather than instantaneous this changes more slowly). If your driving efficiently you'll see most of the tree and a reading of about 6-8. If it's been an inefficient journey the tree will be half grown around 3-4 rating.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quite right about the HVAC, I turned it on after setting off. I take back the chocolate teapot comment.

Thanks for the explanation of the Instantaneous Energy display. They just used the wrong name.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Ah good, that explains the GOM then. If you can get past the looks it’s an underrated EV for sure. Pleased with mine so far although early days still of course. If you’re concerned about the battery state of health and your range, you could check your service log in case someone has left a print out in there from a previous service. Kia will do this for you as part of the service. I guess if you went and asked as a stand alone request they’d charge so might be something to check at the next service when it’s free!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good to know. Actually, I have done a computation based on the long term M/kWh (3.8) and the higher GOM value (the one with climate off) that suggests the battery capacity is 29.5 kWh, which is not too shabby. Of course, I don't know whether the climate was heavily used over the period, and, if I use the lower GOM, that yields 26.8, or a 10% loss of capacity, which is still not something to shed tears over.

Not sure whether my method is valid - I just divided the GOM by the long term consumption figure.

I understand there are some OBD2 reader apps which can get data out of the car - that might be interesting.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yes, there are some apps and OBD readers, I’m not sure which work accurately with the 30kWh model as many I believe were developed for the 27kWh and do not report SOH properly on the 30. Torque Pro and Soul EV lite crop up in discussions.

When new the Souls have 110% battery including the buffer (our 30kWh cars have something like 32.5kWh total). Kia only reveal degradation once it falls below 100%, so often it can be 3-4 years before you drop below 100% and start to lose range. I know I’m still at atleast 100% after nearly 23,000 miles. But I’d be interested in using the right app and tool to see how much of the hidden 10% I still have.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,378 Posts
Does it flatter the efficiency at higher percentages and then fall away quicker lower down,
Yes, that is it.

I can get up to 90 miles from the first indicated 50% in the summer and ... not 90 miles from the rest!

For example ... Say you are running a steady 4.8 mile/kWh, this will read more like 2 miles per % between 100% and down to 65%, it's correctly 1.5miles/kWh for 65% to 30%, and then it peels back to 1 mile per % below that.

Maybe it is intentional, I don't know, but if it was intended it'd be better for the user to get more miles/% towards the lower end, so they are less likely to get 'caught out' than more.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What is the difference between (OBDII +EV) and (Pure EV), please?
Haven't tried them yet.
OBDII probably relates to standardised car parameters (speed, acceleration, etc.) OBDII standard was actually created for better emission control of combustion engines, there are probably some useful OBDII parameters, like speed or acceleration. Give it a try and let us know which profile shows more parameters.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My Konnwei bluetooth adapter arrived today, so I've had a quick look at my battery.

Three cells show 3.96V and the remainder 3.98V. I'm guessing this is good for a 2 year old car with 31,000 miles, or is it just normal? I can't find a SOH in Car Scanner OBD2, and Soul EV Spy says "unknown deterioration" for SOH - anyone know the significance?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts