Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a big fan of reusing stuff which is already in the marketplace, I also genuinely don't fancy chucking another £1500 at a set of winter rims and tyres. Call me a cheapskate if you must, but I always see winter tires as function over styling, hence why on most new German cars the winter wheels are steel not alloys.

So my question is, has anyone considered a second hand set of wheels from another brand or manufacturer?

I saw these as an example.

Obviously so long as pcd, offset, and centre bore match.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,057 Posts
I'm a big fan of reusing stuff which is already in the marketplace, I also genuinely don't fancy chucking another £1500 at a set of winter rims and tyres. Call me a cheapskate if you must, but I always see winter tires as function over styling, hence why on most new German cars the winter wheels are steel not alloys.

So my question is, has anyone considered a second hand set of wheels from another brand or manufacturer?

I saw these as an example.

Obviously so long as pcd, offset, and centre bore match.
Also, remember to make sure the wheels you are interested in can handle the possible extra weight of the 3.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spoke to the holder of the purse strings, it seems buying an offical Tesla Winter wheel set is a good multi year investment - messaged Tesla UK to see if the aero winter set is available in the UK

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've just purchased a set of winter wheels for my M3P after doing quite a bit of online research. Also I have previously purchased new sets of wheels for other cars, e.g. 2002 Porsche Boxster and a 2004 Audi S4 Avant. What I learnt is that cheaper wheels are easily bent, especially in winter when large pot hole are more likely. Forged alloys tend to be the strongest, compared to cast, but are hideously expensive, e.g. £1000 per wheel. A good compromise are flow formed forged wheels, and but even then the cheaper ones will be less strong. Bent wheels can often be repaired, but they will never we as good as original, leading to vibrations at speed and a tendency to loose pressure. ? I spent about £800 on a set of alloys for our old Audi S4 and it wasn't long before one was damaged. On the Boxster I spent around £1400 on a set of OZ Allegerita HLT to replace my old original wheels. They are both light and strong and have lasted over 50k miles without any issue.

For my M3P I have bought some TSportline 18* TST wheels from TSportline in the USA. They were ordered last Sunday and arrived the following Wednesday which was very impressive service. They were $1840 delivered, which is quite a lot. I went for these because they were developed to fit the Tesla M3P and are light and strong. They seem to have received lots of good reviews in the USA too. They also look similar to the Tesla 20" wheels that came with the car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've always (last 10 years) swapped out summer tyres for winter tyres. £60 at my local tyre shop.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
Do we have to be careful to have our wheels changed at Tesla-friendly workshops? i.e someone who understand the care needed to protect the battery when jacking up? And are there any that people would recommend in the London area?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do we have to be careful to have our wheels changed at Tesla-friendly workshops? i.e someone who understand the care needed to protect the battery when jacking up? And are there any that people would recommend in the London area?
Just make sure you get a set of jack pads from amazon and ask the tyre people to use them when jacking up it should be fine. I personally change the wheels and tyres myself as long as you get a 2 tonne jack and appropriate torque wrench.
On a separate note regarding switching summer to winter tyres and using the same wheels, I have noticed the TPMS sensors corrode with the English weather and the actual tightening screw can sometimes snap. You may end up with needing a new sensor.
Personally I would recommend getting a new set of wheels with winter tyres and swapping them between Halloween and Easter.....

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Quality alloy wheels as specified by OEMs are usually not forged and not flow formed either. Ordinary castings are invariably weak and soft and will bend and / or crack on smallish potholes.

Best quality wheels are cast, then HIP treated, which results in vastly improved mechanical properties.

Avoid aftermararket alloy wheels at all costs.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Cast wheels can be made strong, but will be heavy compared to forged, which reduces range and acceleration, and increases unsprung mass which affects ride and handling.

Why say avoid aftermarket wheels? OEM wheels are made by the same companies that make aftermarket wheels, e.g. OZ, Fuchs, BBS.

The easiest way to get a more robust tyre/wheel package is to get smaller wheels with higher profile tyres. However, the problem for Tesla M3P owners is that Tesla don't make any 18* wheels that fit the M3P, so we have to go aftermarket. Therefore we have to work out which aftermarket wheels fit the M3P (as specifically confirmed by the wheel supplier and not just based on ET offset which is unreliable) and that are strong. IMHO the best way to do this is by other peoples experience of using a particular wheel. As most of the world's experience with the M3P is in the USA this inevitably means buying wheels that are available in the USA.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Cast wheels can be made strong, but will be heavy compared to forged, which reduces range and acceleration, and increases unsprung mass which affects ride and handling
Did you read this on an internet forum or do you have any manufacturing inside knowledge. Which casting alloy is your statement based on.

Keep in mind that unless one goes for Motorsport exotics such as cast magnesium alloys, steel rims are usually the lightest in most rim sizes.

Have a word with Weller Wheels and find out how much a batch of say 60 wheels would cost.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Did you read this on an internet forum or do you have any manufacturing inside knowledge. Which casting alloy is your statement based on.

Keep in mind that unless one goes for Motorsport exotics such as cast magnesium alloys, steel rims are usually the lightest in most rim sizes.

Have a word with Weller Wheels and find out how much a batch of say 60 wheels would cost.
Show me a steel wheel that's guaranteed to fit a Tesla M3P without adaptors of some sort, let alone one that looks good. There are hardly any alloys that meet these requirements. Why do you think most premium car manufacturers fit alloy wheels as standard. Winter wheels could easily be in use for 4 to 5 months and therefore looks are important. I wouldn't be surprised if it was not recommended to use steel wheels on a vehicle that was made for use with alloy wheels

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've just purchased a set of winter wheels for my M3P after doing quite a bit of online research. Also I have previously purchased new sets of wheels for other cars, e.g. 2002 Porsche Boxster and a 2004 Audi S4 Avant. What I learnt is that cheaper wheels are easily bent, especially in winter when large pot hole are more likely. Forged alloys tend to be the strongest, compared to cast, but are hideously expensive, e.g. £1000 per wheel. A good compromise are flow formed forged wheels, and but even then the cheaper ones will be less strong. Bent wheels can often be repaired, but they will never we as good as original, leading to vibrations at speed and a tendency to loose pressure. ? I spent about £800 on a set of alloys for our old Audi S4 and it wasn't long before one was damaged. On the Boxster I spent around £1400 on a set of OZ Allegerita HLT to replace my old original wheels. They are both light and strong and have lasted over 50k miles without any issue.

For my M3P I have bought some TSportline 18* TST wheels from TSportline in the USA. They were ordered last Sunday and arrived the following Wednesday which was very impressive service. They were $1840 delivered, which is quite a lot. I went for these because they were developed to fit the Tesla M3P and are light and strong. They seem to have received lots of good reviews in the USA too. They also look similar to the Tesla 20" wheels that came with the car.
nice, was looking at doing the same, have you put them on? I can’t find many options for the P3+ over here...

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
As an aside to the debate not sure of the cost for the M3, but for the model S a full set of wheels, Slipstreams, TPMS with Winter tyres fitted is £2,100 direct from Tesla. That is for 19” so would think that quite likely the 18” from M3 should not be more than those.

I bought a second hand set that came off a new P100D S as Arachnids were fitted from new, about to swap my old wheels onto winter tyres now. Unfortunately not much in the way of 2nd hard model 3 wheels around!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm also looking at getting a set of the 18" tsportline wheels. They are flow formed, better than cast but not as good as fully forged which is what the Tesla 20" wheels are. With the extra cushioning from a higher profile tyre, they should withstand the average pothole.

It would be nice if Tesla made an 18" wheel to fit M3P, if another company can do it then they can. There's clearly demand for them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
When taking delivery the agent at the SC alluded to someone in the UK having a bulk shipment of Tsportline wheels sat at customs in the UK awaiting release. Is anyone aware of this? Like others i’m interested in a set of 18” or 19” for winter tyres and looking to save on the individual shipping costs!

1 - 20 of 94 Posts