Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Striving for a greener planet
211 Posts
Done a fair bit of research into the Alloy Gators. I'm going to have them fitted. Other half insists on it. Worst case, a few scuffs that I can't see as they are under the Gators but the rim isn't kerbed and requires a light respray touch up at some point or unprotected and they get kerbed with no protection and it's a full referb jobbie as it'll eat away at me.

·
Striving for a greener planet
211 Posts
Poignantly however I managed to kerb one of the original wheels just as I was reversing the car into the tyre service bay..! :cry:
That is gutting. Does beg the question, do I let the tyre fitting guys drive the car o_O
Also got my jack pads, Amazon special, and I'll be hanging about till the car is up on the lift to make sure they use them.
Hoping they can check headlight alignment as well while I'm there as I've heard it can be a tad high after transportation

·
Registered
8,995 Posts
That is gutting. Does beg the question, do I let the tyre fitting guys drive the car o_O
Also got my jack pads, Amazon special, and I'll be hanging about till the car is up on the lift to make sure they use them.
Hoping they can check headlight alignment as well while I'm there as I've heard it can be a tad high after transportation
I was somewhat annoyed as I bought the tyres from Tyreleader and they were supplied and fitted by a backstreet tyre shop that had glowing reviews but also happened to be located in at the kind of down-at-heel location where rogue kerbs can to be an issue (would not have happened at Kwikfit or a Tesla SC!).

I also began by insisting they use the jackpads, but they actually used a hydraulic inspection stand that I had to drive onto and the jackpots would not stay in the holes. Instead they used rectangular rubber pads that worked just as well. Meanwhile I got my headlights adjusted at West Drayton when they were tidying up some paint blemishes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Decided to get the Hankook i*cept evo2 winter tyres for my 19" wheels.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Out of interest @Tim Ostler what is you plan on tyre swap timings.
6S/6W months or 8S/4W months
My experience of using winter tyres and wheels on my ICE daily over the last 6 years is 3W/9S. I usually change to winter tyres around the beginning of December. If winter temperatures last longer than normal like a couple of years ago I just leave the winters on until the weather warms up. I've only been caught out once with early snow before changing from summer tyres. Bear in mind that modern tyre rubber like MPS4S is pretty good down to around 3/4 C rather than the 7C normally quoted for summer tyres.

The above is base on living in Oxfordshire, which actually gets some very cold overnight winter temperatures - minus 8 C is quite common and I have seen minus 17C! If you live in Scotland or northern England, where the temperatures are cooler than southern England then you might need to changeover to winter tyres for longer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance on this, still a bit unclear having read previous posts. Is there any major drawback to buying winter tyres and having them swapped onto existing 18inch wheels? Would this affect the TPMS sensors (which I thought were physically separate from the tyre)? Is it likely to damage the rims or tyres themselves over several changeovers?
Would rather avoid expense of new wheels if possible but think safety benefits of winter rubber worth having especially this far North!

·
Registered
538 Posts
If I had 18" wheels I would just fit Crossclimate+ tyres then swap back to summer tyres when the weather warms up, however when the summer tyres are worn out I'd just use the CC+ all year round minimising damage to the rims from swapping. I'm sure the CC+ would work well in winter and summer in Dundee.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance on this, still a bit unclear having read previous posts. Is there any major drawback to buying winter tyres and having them swapped onto existing 18inch wheels? Would this affect the TPMS sensors (which I thought were physically separate from the tyre)? Is it likely to damage the rims or tyres themselves over several changeovers?
Would rather avoid expense of new wheels if possible but think safety benefits of winter rubber worth having especially this far North!
Been swapping tyres for 10 years. Never had an issue.

·
Registered
541 Posts
there's no issue with that at all, but the point of this thread is more for people that don't have the 18's wanting aftermarket cheap (possibly smaller) wheels to run over winter.
The TPMS sensors are effectively the tyre valve, so on the inside of the wheel there's a flat black plastic blob with a valve that's screwed into the wheel. The only risk is if a ham fisted fitter smashes the sensor with the levering iron. But they'd need to replace it if they did. You could say "it's got TPMS sensors so mind the valve" if it makes you feel better, but they might give you a dirty look for patronising them ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been thinking of buying the T-Sportline wheels for a while, but I have not bought them, a few reasons - Price, US shipping and potential for damage/issues and having to try and return, Insurance wanting more for non-Tesla wheels and some poor quality issues they seem to have had.

I made up my mind to buy 19inch Tesla M3 Sport wheels after I saw in another thread they were in stock in the UK.
I got a quote quickly from the parts email and it was pretty good - @£1500 for Wheels, TPMS and Centre caps.
I tried to order, only for the SC to say they wouldn't fit my M3P and offered the 20inch Tesla winter package which was eye watering at @£3100 for Wheels, TPMS and Caps plus £300 per tyre, so £4400!

I persevered and with help from Jake in the SC team and some pictures and gentle persuasion from me they agreed there was no reason the 19's wouldn't fit the M3P (i.e. they do have the 3mm lip)

They arrived today!

I've gone for Goodyear Ultragrip+ in the standard 19inch size - 235/40/19 V XL as they get a great write up in the 19inch BILD winter tyre test, I've followed their best tyre each time I've bought and its always been good. They were hard to get in the right size and wont be here till the 20th November.

Once I've had them fitted and balanced ill bang them on the car and share some more pics and any issues I find.

Also bought the M3 Keyfob, bit underwhelming (it doesn't even have a keyring..) but I wanted it solely for opening and releasing the charge cable since I have a Rolec with no button and end up having to undo the door and open the app which is tedious.

·
Registered
38 Posts
there's no issue with that at all, but the point of this thread is more for people that don't have the 18's wanting aftermarket cheap (possibly smaller) wheels to run over winter.
The TPMS sensors are effectively the tyre valve, so on the inside of the wheel there's a flat black plastic blob with a valve that's screwed into the wheel. The only risk is if a ham fisted fitter smashes the sensor with the levering iron. But they'd need to replace it if they did. You could say "it's got TPMS sensors so mind the valve" if it makes you feel better, but they might give you a dirty look for patronising them ;)
Thanks for all the feedback, will press on with tyre swap!

81 - 94 of 94 Posts