Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again

I thought I would post another thread following a lot of very useful stuff last time.
I've been doing loads of reading and watching, to get an idea of what I might order as my first electric.
I still can't quite work out what range I need for my driving profile, but I'd now like to ask if people here think there is an advantage to buy a car that has been designed from the start as an electric, rather than a conversion from an ICE framework.
If there is an advantage, how can you tell what is what? If not, I can just focus on what seems best for my needs.
Thanks again....

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,163 Posts
Yes. Buying a car that’s made to be an EV is definitely better. The very worst EV that was adapted that I can think of was the Ford Focus. About 80% or so of the trunk/boot was lost to the battery! As well as rather poor efficiency, very few places who would agree to service it, and having 3kW only in terms of charging support.

You will probably find by your own research that anything that ends up being at the top of your list was probably designed to be an EV from the start. They are generally far more competitive with pricing and will have far better reviews as they won’t have dumb oversights that make it rather poor to live with as an electric car.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes. Buying a car that’s made to be an EV is definitely better. The very worst EV that was adapted that I can think of was the Ford Focus. About 80% or so of the trunk/boot was lost to the battery! As well as rather poor efficiency, very few places who would agree to service it, and having 3kW only in terms of charging support.

You will probably find by your own research that anything that ends up being at the top of your list was probably designed to be an EV from the start. They are generally far more competitive with pricing and will have far better reviews as they won’t have dumb oversights that make it rather poor to live with as an electric car.
Thanks...

What's your budget, most importantly.
Ideally not more than £45,000... Cheers

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unless you have reasons otherwise, I couldn't look past a Tesla Model 3. I know it is a trotted out all the time, but there is a reason for that.
Thanks. I think I'll definitely arrange a test drive.
The things that make me unsure are:
Seems a bit big for what I would prefer....
Scary quick....
Saloon rather than hatch...
Expensive insurance (assumed?)...
None of these are showstoppers, just some initial thoughts.
Oh, and im wondering if they would be more likely to be targeted by ill doers....

·
Registered
568 Posts
Ask youself this, what could you compare it with?
A 62kWh LEAF ?
Kona/Niro?
Corsa?

They are not in the same ballpark to me. The only thing they have in their favour is "hatchback" and you would have to be desperate for hatchback to consider them over a TM3, all in my opinion of course.

·
Leaf lover
4,777 Posts
I suppose for me in 2011 it was easy, I knew I would be doing a lot of miles (17k/year) but mainly local. The one car that I got interested in (Nissan Leaf) could do the job and there wasn't much else anyway.
Now there are quite a few and a used market. But it still is for those who do above average miles and most of them local.
What I think we need here on speakev is a good old fashion flow chart to guide newbies through to choices available.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ask youself this, what could you compare it with?
A 62kWh LEAF ?
Kona/Niro?
Corsa?

They are not in the same ballpark to me. The only thing they have in their favour is "hatchback" and you would have to be desperate for hatchback to consider them over a TM3, all in my opinion of course.
I guess my initial thoughts were Niro, Kona, Soul, ID.3, el born, ux300e...
Not based on anything but reading etc...
I guess if the model 3 is the class, I just need to understand why. For example, acceleration at that level doesn't really interest me, except for where it adds safety.
I love having lots to think about. Appreciate the thoughts... Cheerz

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wait antother 1 - 2 year...
Yes you can always wait, but I really would like to swap my existing car soon really. I've only changed car once in the last 15 years and EVs are very appealing...
Thanks

·
Registered
568 Posts
I just need to understand why
Super charger network
EV from the ground up
the car tech is class leading, years in front of the legacy manufacturers
top level safety
depreciation, whats that?
Super charger network (yes i said it twice !)
Not connected to "Big Oil"
Improvements and featured added over the air making the car better over time

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Super charger network
EV from the ground up
the car tech is class leading, years in front of the legacy manufacturers
top level safety
depreciation, whats that?
Super charger network (yes i said it twice !)
Not connected to "Big Oil"
Improvements and featured added over the air making the car better over time
Some very interesting points.
If the industry opens up, I think the nearest centre for a test drive is not too far away.
Maybe I'm worried about liking it too much.
Certainly I think the range would be good. Do you have one btw?

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,128 Posts
I guess my initial thoughts were Niro, Kona, Soul, ID.3, el born, ux300e...
Not based on anything but reading etc...
I guess if the model 3 is the class, I just need to understand why. For example, acceleration at that level doesn't really interest me, except for where it adds safety.
I love having lots to think about. Appreciate the thoughts... Cheerz
Most people can't afford a Tesla but you can. The Model 3 is a size (or two!) above all the others you quote both physically and in performance.

Given the priorities you have set out, I suggest that you test drive a M3 and an ID3 back to back when that becomes possible.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Thanks...

Ideally not more than £45,000... Cheers
One of the nicer problems to have in life with a budget that size Steve !.
Some how it makes the choice even harder though ?.
Model 3 it is then mate !.
You are very lucky you can afford one.
Test loads, but you will pick the model 3 in the end.
Any electric car is fantastic, some are just a little better than others I guess.
Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Most people can't afford a Tesla but you can. The Model 3 is a size (or two!) above all the others you quote both physically and in performance.

Given the priorities you have set out, I suggest that you test drive a M3 and an ID3 back to back when that becomes possible.
I'd like to do that, and maybe something like a Niro just to help get an idea of differences... Cheers

I dont have one, i have a 30kWh LEAF so know the other end of the EV spectrum!
Ihave passengered in a TM3 and it was nice.
I'm open to all really. I do some regular trips to see family over a weekend, well obviously not for a while!, round trips are about 400 miles. Also, my good lady and I struggle a bit with our backs so actually a smooth comfortable ride is really helpful. I assumed a longer wheel base for longer trips is a help... Cheers

One of the nicer problems to have in life with a budget that size Steve !.
Some how it makes the choice even harder though ?.
Model 3 it is then mate !.
You are very lucky you can afford one.
Test loads, but you will pick the model 3 in the end.
Any electric car is fantastic, some are just a little better than others I guess.
Good luck with your search.
Thanks. Interesting you say that.
As for budget, I'd spend that if it really brought us advantages, but happy to spend a fair bit less if not.
Thanks for the thoughts...

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
Most people will push the car they have or want. It's reinforcement therapy, or something.

YOU need to decide what is important to you - Range, style, equipment, space, price, reliability, dealer location, etc. Then shortlist the cars (If any) that meet all those and go look at them.
If none, modify your must haves until something fits.

It's actually no different from buying any other type of car, except long distance travel is a bit more interesting.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you don't need space pick Kona is a nice car. Want more confort pick vw, I just got a new e-golf... fair and quality... more than tesla, but tesla got tehnology... they are ahead with thenology... You know your needs... There are also premium electric car...

1 - 20 of 73 Posts